Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Robert Anton Wilson's Quantum Psychology: "The Real Head" - Organ Grinder connection?

Default Robert Anton Wilson's Quantum Psychology: "The Real Head" - Organ Grinder connection?

As I stumbled upon this chapter in Quantum Psychology, I immediately bookmarked it, as the lyric from Organ Grinder came to my mind straight away. This book was released in 1990, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Manson had read it. It certainly seems like something he may have been drawn towards. Here is an excerpt:

But where does our head exist?
    Well, our head obviously exists "inside" the "external universe" and "outside" our brain which contains the model of the "external universe".
    But since we never see or experience the "external universe" directly, and only see our model of it, we only perceive our head as part of the model, which exists inside us. Certainly, our perceived head cannot exist apart from our perceived body as long as we remain alive, and our perceived body (including head) exists inside our universe. Right?
    Thus, the head we perceive exists inside some other head we do not, and cannot, perceive. The second head contains our model of the universe, our model of this galaxy, our model of this solar system, our model of Earth, our model of this continent, our model of this city, our model of our home, our model of ourselves and atop our model of ourselves a model of our head. The model of our head thus occupies much less space than our "real" head.
    Think about it. Retire to your study, unplug the phone, lock the door and carefully examine each step of this argument in succession, noting what absurdities appear if you question any individual step and try an alternative.
    Let us, for all our sakes, at least attempt to clarify how we can have two heads. Our perceived head exists as part (a very small part) of our model of the universe, which exist inside our brain. We have already proven that, have we not? Our brain, however, exists inside our second head - our "real" head, which contains our whole model of the universe, including our perceived head. In short, our perceived head exists inside our second head exists inside our perceived universe which exists inside our real head which exists inside the real universe.
    Thus we can name our two heads - we have a "real" head outside the perceived universe and a "perceived head" inside the perceived universe, and our real head now appears, not only much bigger than our perceived head, but bigger than our perceived universe.

"Here is my real head...."

Maybe a fleeting connection? Seems to me like the sort of empowering material that pervades his work.
    Last edited by Akhenaten; 10-10-2015 at 11:11 PM.

The italics are as they appeared in the book, not embellished by me.
    Last edited by Akhenaten; 10-11-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Accidentally a word.
    The livin' are dead and I hope to join them too. I know what to do and I do it well.

Makes sense. I'm not overly familiar with Robert Wilson, but I'm pretty sure that Manson's at least read the Illuminatus! trilogy. It's very much in line with the symbolo-logic behind Celebritarianism.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

This is the first work of his I've read and I'm only about half way through. I think he's got a great sense of humour. What was your opinion of his fiction?
    The livin' are dead and I hope to join them too. I know what to do and I do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
    This is the first work of his I've read and I'm only about half way through. I think he's got a great sense of humour. What was your opinion of his fiction?
    It was pretty amazing, though Robert Shea also has to be given credit for making the Trilogy pull together as well as it did.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

Quantum Psychology is great!! I read as much of Wilson's work as I can , & i followed That book up with Timothy Leary's Neuropolitics. I recently finished reading the Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy and as always while reading R.A.W. a lot of things remind Me of Mr.Manson's Art - like this that I wrote about recently ..in I think the chat box - "And they Understood , of course the time - honoured allegory of the Trick Top Hat, which was just a symbol of the brain. This ritual was passed on from generation to generation , since it represented the greatest treasure in the universe, which is shared by all and belongs to none: the faculty of creativity , partially unleashed in each sentient being , fully released at the proper Galactic-genetic time by the HEAD Revolution. " - Cheers - (TwentyThree)
    . . the fear takes hold

Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the chorus is about who the character Marilyn Manson is, which is the "dark side" of our culture that we don't talk about but we do everyday. Because he follows that line up by talking about wearing a mask, which is a common theme in his lyrics. He plays characters because we can't face reality as a society.

Thought that was pretty obvious. A lot of the lyrics on that album were about the same thing, using different analogies.
    So many stars above our heads and yet we choose to starve. So many stones out there to turn and yet we choose to ignore. Thousands I wish to corrupt, their sons I seek to mislead. Damned forever be your dreams, I reject my destiny.

Like the first of sins there is no one to blame, the earth grew wet on the seventh day. And we sit down for a feast of hate, we eat each other in a twist of fate.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
    As I stumbled upon this chapter in Quantum Psychology, I immediately bookmarked it, as the lyric from Organ Grinder came to my mind straight away. This book was released in 1990, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Manson had read it. It certainly seems like something he may have been drawn towards. Here is an excerpt:

But where does our head exist?
    Well, our head obviously exists "inside" the "external universe" and "outside" our brain which contains the model of the "external universe".
    But since we never see or experience the "external universe" directly, and only see our model of it, we only perceive our head as part of the model, which exists inside us. Certainly, our perceived head cannot exist apart from our perceived body as long as we remain alive, and our perceived body (including head) exists inside our universe. Right?
    Thus, the head we perceive exists inside some other head we do not, and cannot, perceive. The second head contains our model of the universe, our model of this galaxy, our model of this solar system, our model of Earth, our model of this continent, our model of this city, our model of our home, our model of ourselves and atop our model of ourselves a model of our head. The model of our head thus occupies much less space than our "real" head.
    Think about it. Retire to your study, unplug the phone, lock the door and carefully examine each step of this argument in succession, noting what absurdities appear if you question any individual step and try an alternative.
    Let us, for all our sakes, at least attempt to clarify how we can have two heads. Our perceived head exists as part (a very small part) of our model of the universe, which exist inside our brain. We have already proven that, have we not? Our brain, however, exists inside our second head - our "real" head, which contains our whole model of the universe, including our perceived head. In short, our perceived head exists inside our second head exists inside our perceived universe which exists inside our real head which exists inside the real universe.
    Thus we can name our two heads - we have a "real" head outside the perceived universe and a "perceived head" inside the perceived universe, and our real head now appears, not only much bigger than our perceived head, but bigger than our perceived universe.

"Here is my real head...."

Maybe a fleeting connection? Seems to me like the sort of empowering material that pervades his work.
    I'm familiar with this. Believe it or not, but I actually picked a lot of books with this type of content out of a boxes, along with about 50 other books once from a Church who was giving away donated books for free. They'd do this regularly. A lot are in storage. I have 3 Storage Units and a Home Library. Non Locality and Dissociative Association has always been an interest of mine. It just so happened to be that I was starting to really read up on it coincidentally around the time I discovered Marilyn Manson and became a fan. His work is full of fragmented, shattered identities as much as it is a mirror that makes a mockery out of the collective cognitive dissonance that most People believe that they are ....collectively aligned by through him. It all started off with "I Am You". That's all that need to be said. I wouldn't be surprised if he's also ran across books with similar content.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM