Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sociopaths/Psychopaths

For example Dr. Robert Hare: http://www.hare.org/index.html

Besides, an old friend of my parents is a Doctor, and she also express the confusion there is between mental health professionals about these terms.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    For example Dr. Robert Hare: http://www.hare.org/index.html

Besides, an old friend of my parents is a Doctor, and she also express the confusion there is between mental health professionals about these terms.
    I'm not sure what exactly the issue is, but it does seem that you're totally correct in saying there's confusion and disagreement in the field. I went over to pubmed and did a search for articles published from 2014 to present that include the word "psychpathy" in the title or abstract, and without even clicking on any of the results you can see how nobody knows what they're doing lol, and the volume of results I got also speaks to how you're right about that term being used by a lot of professionals. I guess maybe APA tried to standardize everything with the DSM which was new at the time so that's what I was taught, but that clearly did not stick. So question, cause I have to go to sleep and can't read through the articles atm, is "psychopathy" still solely referencing antisocial personality disorder - with the issue being how to define APD and therefore psychopathy, or that psychopathy might be a separate entity from APD?

ps here are the search results, some of them look really interesting, especially the ones with titles that already contradict another article's title.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

"Psychopathy is currently defined in psychiatry and clinical psychology as a condition characterized by lack of empathy [1] [2] or conscience, and poor impulse control [3] [4] or manipulative behaviors.[5] It is a term derived from the Greek psyche (soul, breath hence mind) and pathos (to suffer), and was once used to denote any form of mental illness, often being confused with psychosis.

Though in widespread use, psychopathy has no precise equivalent[6] in either the DSM-IV-TR, where it is most strongly correlated with antisocial personality disorder, or the ICD-10, where it is correlated with dissocial personality disorder. Some experts are working toward listing psychopathy as a unique disorder. However, only a minority of diagnosable psychopaths are violent offenders [7] [8]. The manipulative skills of some of the others are valued for providing audacious leadership [9]. Some have argued that psychopathy is adaptive in a highly competitive environment, because it gets results for both the individual and the corporations [10] they represent [11].

In current clinical use, psychopathy is most commonly diagnosed using the checklist devised by Emeritus Professor Robert Hare. He describes psychopaths as "intraspecies predators [12] [13] who use charm, manipulation, intimidation, and violence [14] [15] [16] to control others and to satisfy their own selfish needs. Lacking in conscience and in feelings for others, they take what they want and do as they please, violating social norms and expectations without guilt or remorse" [17]. "What is missing, in other words, are the very qualities that allow a human being to live in social harmony."[18]"

I'm very open with my personality disorders because they aren't very well hidden, so there's no point in not discussing them. I have PTSD w/Psychosis and I've had Psychologists since 2005 or so suggest that I am a Sociopath and that is putting it lightly. lol - I've been FIRED by Psychologists before. I went into an intensive outpatient Crisis Unit Program just to be around other mentally ill people and to "study"/observe them and interact with them and got into trouble for causing their episodes to worsen when I would talk to them. I got kicked out of that program as well.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

you can argue about terms all day. they dont matter.
    psychopath
    sociopath
    antisocial personality disorder.
    They are 3 different terms describing a similar idea. On different levels.
    Like autism versus Aspergers.

I think most people are confusing narcissists and borderlines with psychopaths anyways. Just like they confuse borderlines with bipolar --on the clinical level.
    A non futant mutant will totally blow your mind.
    Psychopathy isnt really as bad as you are making it out to be.
    Id rather be surrounded by them than around one borderline or histrionic. I mean have you ever actually met a self professed borderline? Talk about fucking annoying. I hate you dont leave me... So much more detrimental to your life than a mere little psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Casto View Post
    you can argue about terms all day. they dont matter.
    psychopath
    sociopath
    antisocial personality disorder.
    They are 3 different terms describing a similar idea. On different levels.
    Like autism versus Aspergers.

I think most people are confusing narcissists and borderlines with psychopaths anyways. Just like they confuse borderlines with bipolar --on the clinical level.
    A non futant mutant will totally blow your mind.
    Psychopathy isnt really as bad as you are making it out to be.
    Id rather be surrounded by them than around one borderline or histrionic. I mean have you ever actually met a self professed borderline? Talk about fucking annoying. I hate you dont leave me... So much more detrimental to your life than a mere little psychopath.
    lol I don't think we were arguing for once. I was totally wrong when I said that professionals don't use the term psychopath anymore - Cat was right. I learned something that day haha. I think the problem is that the entire fields of psychology and psychiatry don't know how to properly classify/categorize that whole spectrum of antisocial personality disorder, I think that's what is currently being worked out based on my quick peek at the pubmed results (which i will revisit).

Borderline... BPD isn't really that bad I don't personally think. BPD can be draining and daunting to deal with but people with BPD ultimately mean well and just have a lot of trouble seeing through their suffering, and is not nearly as bad as histrionic lol. Wouldn't touch histrionic with a thousand-foot pole. I also think that APD is a lot worse than BPD because they're coming from completely opposite places. People with BPD have trouble because they're TOO emotionally sensitive and empathetic and in touch with every single thing they think and feel and how others are feeling, whereas people with APD totally lack empathy and don't give a fuck. A lot of the trouble people with BPD have stems from the fact that their brain rewired itself to interpret neutral stimuli as negative stimuli. So like, if someone has a neutral facial expression, healthy people can identify that it's neutral whereas people with BPD will say that it's a negative facial expression AND it will then make them feel badly. I think that's slightly better than somebody who either can't properly identify an actually negative facial expression and/or does not care what it is at all in real life settings.

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Also, being poor will turn you into a psychotic killer. I asked a Liberal. It's true. lol
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    lol I don't think we were arguing for once. I was totally wrong when I said that professionals don't use the term psychopath anymore - Cat was right. I learned something that day haha.
    I'm glad I could inspire you.

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Well, at least they're on a path.

The last 10 minutes or so of this documentary really hit the nail on the head.

Last edited by Cat; 11-11-2015 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Really needed to express.

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I need to mention something important here.

Not everybody who is different has a mental disorder......... many people is a little weird and I think it's a sign of health.

The only time our "weirdness" is a problem is when it is creating unnecessary problems in our life.

So we have to be careful NOT to call people mentally ill just because they are different than the majority.

16. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post