Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sociopaths/Psychopaths

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

All children are Narcissists up until they are around 16. Anyway......

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post
    The non-criminal psychopaths cause a lot of damage in our society because they are masters of manipulation, and therefore good at maintaining an effective mask of normality.

Criminal psychopaths often end up in jail!

Edit: The really clever criminal psychopaths never get caught.......... sad, but true.
    I think that's very true. The true psychopath is, in my opinion, not some crazed maniac chasing people on the street with a knife, but instead, a true psychopath is the type that you won't even be able to recognize. It will be somebody that seems perfectly normal and that's what makes them even more dangerous - because you never see them coming. They could be your best friend, your partner, a family member, anyone - and you might not know until it's too late.

From my study of the DSM-IV, I have a bit of an interest in psychiatry and psychology, people generally diagnosed as having psychopathic or sociopathic traits feel no guilt, no compassion, no empathy, basically nothing that would somehow make them think twice about hurting another person. Most of them actually even enjoy it. And because they don't have these natural emotional responses, they can sometimes have a completely normal life - the one where they set everything up as a sort of an act, a cover up for who they really are, and then there is the other life - where they do exactly what they want.

And like I said, it's usually not the maniac that goes postal, it's most likely somebody you think is a very nice person. Now that's a scary thought D:

4. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Norchera View Post
    I think that's very true. The true psychopath is, in my opinion, not some crazed maniac chasing people on the street with a knife, but instead, a true psychopath is the type that you won't even be able to recognize. It will be somebody that seems perfectly normal and that's what makes them even more dangerous - because you never see them coming. They could be your best friend, your partner, a family member, anyone - and you might not know until it's too late.

From my study of the DSM-IV, I have a bit of an interest in psychiatry and psychology, people generally diagnosed as having psychopathic or sociopathic traits feel no guilt, no compassion, no empathy, basically nothing that would somehow make them think twice about hurting another person. Most of them actually even enjoy it. And because they don't have these natural emotional responses, they can sometimes have a completely normal life - the one where they set everything up as a sort of an act, a cover up for who they really are, and then there is the other life - where they do exactly what they want.

And like I said, it's usually not the maniac that goes postal, it's most likely somebody you think is a very nice person. Now that's a scary thought D:
    Well said! - I agree with you.

Edit: I would like to discuss it further, but I don't have time for it right now.
    Last edited by Cat; 11-27-2015 at 10:21 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

In think this video is like the Blair Witch Project for grownups. This man is not a psychopath. He would like to be, because he obviously did enough research to learn enough about real psychopaths and he's just trying to act like one because it makes him feel superior and special. He is a genuine asshole, though, but not much more than that. If you ask me, he's trying to cover up some big insecurity within himself with all this nonsense, but that's another story.
    And, btw, the guy interviewing him and hosting the "documentary" is an idiot.
    Last edited by Norchera; 11-28-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Did you ever meet a sociopath/psychopath?

Did you ever date one?

Did the person change you?

How long did it take for you to realise that your new friend, or lover was a sociopath/psychopath?.......ETC!

Just share your thoughts here.

I did have a friend once who was a sociopath, the person was always nice to me so it was difficult for me to end the friendship.
    To answer your questions:

I did meet a few people for whom I have felt had psychopathic/sociopathic traits.

I have dated a woman who had some of these traits, but I had to break up with her because I felt she was constantly trying to manipulate me. And even though I like to think of myself as an intelligent guy, I still had a feeling she was constantly trying to be one step ahead of me in a strange mental way that I can't really explain. Long story short, it was like I was part of her game, even though it seemed like I had the typical male role - slightly more dominant - but it felt that I had that role because she wanted me to have it - not because I chose it myself. And breaking up with her was a real nightmare, the most dramatic breakup I ever experienced in my life. It's like when she realized I wasn't playing her game anymore - she just lost it - and her "mask" fell off and I could see her for what she really was.

None of these people have really changed me, at least I can't feel it. Maybe they reminded me that this type of people is not something you only see in films - they're actually EVERYWHERE!

It usually doesn't take me long to figure people out, but there have been exceptions. Most people are quite predictable, I think, but I have to say that the psychos - they're definitely more difficult. You can't read them so easily as they don't have the usual body language/tone of voice/emotional response type of things normal people have. And even if they do have these responses - they are not natural and spontaneous - they use them as a part of their act - so yes - definitely more difficult.

All these things are the reason why I find this discussion very interesting, how come nobody else is joining in? :)

11. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

This man is not a psychopath.
    He is an attention seeking narcissist.

And we see a lot of them these days, don't we?! lol ;-)

It's great that you question everything you see and read, I do the same.

13. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

He is an attention seeking narcissist.

And we see a lot of them these days, don't we?! lol ;-)

It's great that you question everything you see and read, I do the same.
    We sure see them a lot - everywhere - especially internet (Facebook, Instagram...),fashion, movies, music, well, the list is too long - you get my point :)
    It's so widespread that I think it's not treated as a disorder anymore - if enough people do something - it become the new "normal". I guess soon it will be a disorder NOT to be an "attention-whore". :D

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

We sure see them a lot - everywhere - especially internet (Facebook, Instagram...),fashion, movies, music, well, the list is too long - you get my point :)
    It's so widespread that I think it's not treated as a disorder anymore - if enough people do something - it become the new "normal". I guess soon it will be a disorder NOT to be an "attention-whore". :D
    If that is the case then please give me that disorder lol

On a serious note, mysterious people will always be my kind of people!

17. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

You can't generalize here.

I don't think they are smarter than the majority, I just think they are more selfish. - You should also remember that there's a lot of different types of intelligence.

A successful life is an individual concept. The buddhist feels like a success when he has inner peace, while the materialist feels like a success when he has lots of money etc. - So what one person consider a successful life might be a shitty life for another, and vice versa.
    I completely agree and really like the way you phrased it.

19. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post