Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Religion Dangerous?

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Default Is Religion Dangerous?

Well, yes and no. I'd assert that it's the people who subvert, pervert and misinterpret scriptures/texts, (Not just Biblical ones), as well as the ones who vandalized most of the Temples of Jerusalem and centuries later put together the book known as 'The Holy Bible" who are the biggest dangers to not just global societies but to knowledge itself. So, let's talk about that first. The belief in an anthropomorphic Deity of course is ridiculous. For example "The Book of Alxi" and the Talmud of Palestine and Bablylonia for example were mostly destroyed by the Rabbinic Fraternity. Why is there no real concrete evidence of Jesus? Well, that's because not only was he referred to by MANY names but a lot of transcripts, particularly the Latin Treatise "Mar Yesu", were eliminated along with 6,000 of the Talmud at Salmanca. Before I go into this any further, I am not making a "Case for Christ as the Son of God".Jewish records of the Rabbis are of extreme importance in determining Gospel origins and the value of the Church presentation of the virgin birth story of Jesus Christ. A common appellation for Jesus in the Talmud is Yeshu’a ben Panthera, an allusion to the widespread Jewish belief during the earliest centuries of the Christian era that Jesus was the result of an illegitimate union between his mother and a Roman soldier named Tiberius Julius Abdes Panthera. However, when the name "Mary" in the Gospels was replaced with the original Hebrew version, "Mariamne", an historic aspect arose. Combining the evidence available, the position advanced in this book is that Mary, the mother of Jesus in the Gospels, Stadea of the Jewish writings, and Mariamne (As referred to in the Qu'ran) of the House of Herod were one and the same person. On the other hand there have been other Christian sanctioned vandalism's of Temples and documents. At Alexandria in 389, Bishop Theophilus of Alexandria personally directed the destruction of the temple to the god Serapis, reputedly the largest place of worship in the known world. The statue of the god was chopped up and burned, its head being carried through the town for public ridicule. The temple precinct, or Serapeum, also housed a scientific research institute (a "Museum" named after the nine Muses) and the famous Library of Alexandria - two of the greatest academic buildings in human history. Both buildings were loathed by Christians, who hated scientific research and secular knowledge as much as they hated other people's places of worship. Both Museums and Library were destroyed around this time, probably in the same violent incident in which the bishop destroyed the temple. The destruction of the Serapeum by Patriarch Theophilus was a critical event in the history of persecution of ancient Paganism.Gods were created not out of "stupidity" or "absence of a sense of reality" but to destroy and turn tribes/factions/people against one another. Even temples that Jesus, (Esu, Emmanual, Ben, Josh....whatever you want to call him...LOL), himself had visited, such as the ∆skelepium in Jerusalem, were replaced by Christian churches. So, to say that these are all imaginary fairy tales you have to ask yourself two things. 1.) Why and 2.) Why. And not because of delusional mad men, schizophrenics in straw huts or Oracles in Methane Caves who were writing "prophecy" out of total mental misconstructions. It's who have destroyed, improperly translated and tampered with these writings who are the culprits. Most of the Bible, yes, is made up. It was cannonized intentionally by Jewish Councilmen an Anti-Popes as a straw man institution intentionally to be inevitably destroyed. Much like the Smithsonian Museum and their cover ups. If something is discovered that doesn't fit their model/timeline of History, they either destroy it or archive and hide it. Much like the Nazi's did to art, music, literature and relics that were unfavorable and went against their ideologies. Are the ridiculous fables dangerous? No. Secular Jews and Secular Atheists, (Not to be confused with 'Modern Atheists) who have adopted their mentality are. Which brings us to the KABALLAH, and the QU'RAN (Which Muhammad altered to justify his crimes.).

Contrary to Popular belief, The United States of America was not founded by Christians. It was Established by Free Masons. Our Governement operates under the influence of Sufism. And not just in the United States but the Kabbalistic Islamic influence on other Westernized Countries that Muhammad and his army at one time occupied. From an article written by Stephen Scwartz who was a Jewish Convert to Islam "It has been published in a variety of media, including The Wall Street Journal. Schwartz wrote in article in the Huffington Post, “Islamic Sufism and Jewish Kabbalah: Shining a Light on Their Hidden History,” where according to him, "Islamic Sufism and Jewish Kabbalah -- that are so close to one another that the presumption of mutual influence is inescapable'.” If you're not familiar with that, look it up. Centuries after Muhammeds death, “Eastern mystics,” with whom the Knights Templar came into contact during the Crusades, is a reference to the Asiatic Brethren of the tenth century, who despite their outward allegiance to Islam, were highly regarded by Kabbalists over the centuries. The Asiatic Brethren, like much of the occult in Islam, derived their influenced from the so-called Sabians of Harran in southeastern Turkey, who preserved the traditions of Hermeticism and Neoplatonism. The ideas of the Brethren of Sincerity reflected elements of Pythagorean, Neoplatonic and Magian traditions, which they attributed to a common origin, with Jewish roots. ----Perhaps this thread should have been entitled :"Understanding Hitler"?---- LOL

I'm going to leave it here until a discussion starts. So, no. It's not the fables themselves that are dangerous, it's the ones who both control, suppress and have destroyed/altered a lot of History as well as mistranslated it intentionally, again, as I've said to intentionally collapse. Religious is as dangerous to those who follow it as it is to society. And Religion isn't a set of beliefs. It's a lever of control used by almost every Government and Regime around the World.

Even as an Anti-Theist/Anti-Diest/Pantheist I am not afraid to immerse myself in theology, learn about it, the etymology of archaic languages and the origins of parables and what most call myths. There are so many few that either are of faith who do not ardently study it as well as people who are opposed to it who have probably never picked up a "Holy Book" and studied them before either totally embracing them or mocking th
    em.
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 11-27-2015 at 05:13 AM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Is religion dangerous? "Yes" (or a very strong) "It has every opportunity to be dangerous and it CAN BE". As far as people who pervert or misinterpret it, you don't even have to misinterpret much of it. Yes, there are metaphors, but much of it is transparent and nefarious all by itself.

I highly recommend a book by evolutionary geneticist Jerry Coyne called, "Faith V.S. Fact: Why Science and Religion are Incompatible". It was released last May, and I'm already halfway through reading it a second time, it was just that good. Unlike other atheist's books arguing that there is no weight in theistic and deistic arguments (such as Dawkins' God Delusion), Coyne has a refreshing take. Instead of attacking any of the old philosophical arguments in favor of a god(s) (such as cosmological constants) the book just strongly shows the difference in methodology and resulting conclusions.

But enough of a book plug. I'll argue ALL "faith" or magical thinking of any kind is dangerous. The ONLY known way to adjudicate truth is through the various scientific methods. Observation, hypothesis, test, repeat. Many children die each year because parents neglect to give them medicine. This is always the result of some sort of specious and unwarranted "belief". It doesn't end at religion. Homeopathy, psychics, ghosts, paranormal, etc.. It's all hogwash. No evidence for any of it. In fact, it's kind of an oxymoron because if there were evidence for the supernatural, it would no longer be supernatural and would fall into the "natural", so it doesn't even make any sense.

Delusional wishful thinking about gods, ghosts, angels, and devils serve nothing but to induce fear into the mindless masses. Poor education contributes to this. It's no coincidence that the elite scientists of the world are all atheists. There is a strong correlation with an increase in atheism the higher up in education.

I think it's obvious how magical thinking of any kind can be very dangerous. When that magical thinking is accommodated by large numbers in a congregation, you have a religion. These people are manipulated to suite the needs and deeds of their pastors or whatever the will is of the guy in charge and they are reading fantasy as reality.

Religion was invented to control the masses, to serve as an explanation for events that were not understood by primitive people, and an attempt at morality, which I must say failed miserably in nearly all faiths. Janism is one example of an innocuous religion, but it's still spurious.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Yes.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Hey thanks for copy and pasting MY fucking thread bitch.
    Zimscum is better than you. :P

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Zimscum View Post
    Hey thanks for copy and pasting MY fucking thread bitch.
    Zimscum is better than you. :P
    Who copied and pasted your thread? LOL
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

That's a rather hard question.
    Reading any of the three major religion's "holy" books, you'll find a lot of misogyny, hate, genocide, murder, rape, acceptance for slavery etc.
    At the same time there are many modern versions of those religions, especially Christianity, that take most of such passages as metaphors while whatever they think is acceptable, is true.
    So it seems that religious people are either dangerous extremists, fundamentalists and bigots or liberal, hypocritical cherry pickers.
    Now, to answer the question: the first group is in fact dangerous, while the second one is just laughable, but it's their problem since they don't hurt anyone in the name of their beliefs.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

^^ Excellent analysis, TMC! I think you succinctly explained all three variations and the obvious conclusion is that religion needs to die. There is no reason for fantasy and magical thinking and it only leads to nefarious behavior at worst, or delusional behavior at best. There is no need for any of it. Reality is beautiful enough, we don't need to imagine fairies in the forest. Most all religions have basically been disproven anyway. You can't prove anything to 100%, but provisionally, I think it's clear that all of these religions are indeed wrong. And don't get me started on pseudoscience homeopathy, psychics, ESP, UFO enthusiasts, demon possession, astrology, and talking to the dead. Con artists, delusional, and daft -- all of them. You don't need spirituality. There are other ways to find "meaning" in your life in spite of realizing we are all evolved naked apes.

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Prepare for a mind bender tomorrow. No, again, not proving or disproving anything. I was just waiting on replies. Thanks. -Not-Shangri-LIE
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I wrote a rather long caveat to my above post that was accidentally deleted before it saved. It upset me, and I don't know if I have the energy to try and re-write it. But, it sucks. Maybe I too will return tomorrow.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by M Tragedy666 View Post
    I wrote a rather long caveat to my above post that was accidentally deleted before it saved. It upset me, and I don't know if I have the energy to try and re-write it. But, it sucks. Maybe I too will return tomorrow.
    Here in a bit, I am going to write out some stuff just in good fun. About Spirituality and Religion among some other things. I love Science but I love fucking with the naturalist people who hate and reject philosophy which without that we wouldn't have any sciences, but I digress. It's also just a Marilyn Manson message board. I'm actually going to be real, which I have been more and more, so this thread might turn into....quite something after a while. The first post was a set up though. You have to start somewhere, I guess. lol
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM