Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dangerous and/or Most Challenging Books

Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

Anything by James Patterson!

Just kidding. Fuck James Patterson. With an ice pick.

Don Quixote by Cervantes is challenging in that sense that, when it was published in the early seventeenth century, it challenged the idea of what a book could be. If you want something newer, read a novel by Eco, Pamuk, or Rushdie.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Eat Internet Primadonnas
    Follow Penance Sentence On Twitter Add Penance Sentence on Facebook Follow Penance Sentence on Tumblr Visit Penance Sentence's Youtube Channel Visit Penance Sentence's Instagram Channel

Thanks for the suggestions!

My knowledge of Don Quixote is actually pretty little, so I have to insight into what it would be like reading it. To me, it just seems like a book hailed as a classic, and it probably very long. Maybe I'm entirely wrong. But, I kind of lump it into "that" category, like Moby Dick or something.

With that being said, I should probably read it someday just for the hell of it.

Visit lizmarie's Instagram Channel

currently I'm reading a book called "The Secret Code" which goes into a lot of detail about the Golden Ratio (also referred to as The Golden Mean, the Golden Division, etc.). A lot of it is mathematical and since I'm lacking in math skills, some of it just goes straight over my head. But it's so fascinating I can't stop reading. The complexity of nature never ceases to amaze me and I love reading about it.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add S.Hal0mega.B on Facebook Visit S.Hal0mega.B's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by lizmarie View Post
    currently I'm reading a book called "The Secret Code" which goes into a lot of detail about the Golden Ratio (also referred to as The Golden Mean, the Golden Division, etc.). A lot of it is mathematical and since I'm lacking in math skills, some of it just goes straight over my head. But it's so fascinating I can't stop reading. The complexity of nature never ceases to amaze me and I love reading about it.
    Interesting. BTW Shangs, the first post on this thread had me in stitches of laughter. I would advocate the Age of Manipulation. A lot of classic Russian Literature. The doors of perception I have but yet have to wrap my head around.

The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot or however his name is spelt is easy reading but I do commend it.
    Of course Nietzsche and Satre.

Being and Time by Heidegger too.

"Our less well-developed physical senses, vis-a-vis our limited perception of the electromagnetic spectrum, aka reality - would be responsible for our reliance on reality and all that we define by it."
    'Joelle'

Soft Machine by William S. Burroughs. I remember reading it a few years ago and it is definitely a challenging work, mostly because of the word collage (cut up) technique he uses. There seems to be no bigger story, just different parts that have to be assembled into one somehow. I am planning to read it again soon and see how I find it today.
    Another one that I am planning to read again is Hidden Faces by Salvador Dali. I read it in high school and found it extremely boring and pretentious back then.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Like someone before mentioned, Crime and Punishment is a tough one. Although I have loved the 2/3 of the book I have read so far, it is just a tiring book to read! I have been on and off with that book for two years. It is excellent so far, but it is pretty dense because you are following a character who is mentally unstable. There is a lot of extra dialogue that makes it hard to follow the plot. But in a way, I really like that. It kind of puts you into the situation and makes you feel confusion and frustration, just like the main character feels.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post