Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: The Nobodies [Guns, God and Government] live vocals+drums audio

Default The Nobodies [Guns, God and Government] live vocals+drums audio

Hi

Recently I came across an interesting audio to me: almost a pure a-capella of "The Nobodies" from the "Guns, God and Government" DVD. It primarily features really clean harsh Manson's vocals with drums kicks and snares in the background. However it also features some lead synth and guitars sounding much more quiet than the vocals and drums (but no bass guitar or drums crash/hi-hats in the whole track). Not sure if I may share the recording here, but it can be googled with "marilyn manson the nobodies live vocals drums" or in VK (not sure what would be your search result in your region though).

Could anybody explain where the recording might originate from or how it might be extracted from existing media?

If it's nothing new, please feel free to close the thread. Thank you.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Iulian On Twitter Add Iulian on Facebook Follow Iulian on Tumblr Visit Iulian's Instagram Channel

Itīs a vocal take, probably 1st take or so. The drum machine is for the rhythm.

2:25 is funny, he forgot the lyrics and started to mumble hahaha
    What?

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

My bet is that it's the Center channel from the 5.1 audio mix from the DVD. Typically in the 5.1/surround mixes - the Center channel will feature the main vocals, and then center instruments such as kick/snare and sometimes bass guitar. I've not extracted the 5.1 audio in years so I'd have to double check, but that's my guess. The other channels (left, right, rear left, rear right) will typically contain crowd noises, guitars, synths etc to spread across the audio field. I've heard examples of other artists' 5.1 mixes where people can extract the surround sound channels to get more isolated tracks like vocals or other instruments to be used in fan remixes (there were a bunch of NIN fan remixes done using the surround tracks from The Downward Spiral and With Teeth).

5. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    My bet is that it's the Center channel from the 5.1 audio mix from the DVD. Typically in the 5.1/surround mixes - the Center channel will feature the main vocals, and then center instruments such as kick/snare and sometimes bass guitar. I've not extracted the 5.1 audio in years so I'd have to double check, but that's my guess. The other channels (left, right, rear left, rear right) will typically contain crowd noises, guitars, synths etc to spread across the audio field. I've heard examples of other artists' 5.1 mixes where people can extract the surround sound channels to get more isolated tracks like vocals or other instruments to be used in fan remixes (there were a bunch of NIN fan remixes done using the surround tracks from The Downward Spiral and With Teeth).
    I believe you're right. Sometimes I would have the surround on but only play one channel, such as center, and if you extract that track, you can make it mono to play "normally".
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    My bet is that it's the Center channel from the 5.1 audio mix from the DVD. Typically in the 5.1/surround mixes - the Center channel will feature the main vocals, and then center instruments such as kick/snare and sometimes bass guitar.
    Thank you, that was really a great hint to me, and your bet really wins. I finally had some time to play with it and have some positive results extracting the audio channel I mentioned in the thread start post. What I did with the BR disc using ffmpeg:

# Extract the 5.1 audio stream:
    $ ffmpeg -i 00006.m2ts -map 0:2 -c:a copy output.wav

# Split each channel into a separate audio file:
    $ ffmpeg -i output.wav -filter_complex 'channelsplit=channel_layout=5.1[FL][FR][FC][LFE][BL][BR]' -map '[FL]' FL.wav -map '[FR]' FR.wav -map '[FC]' FC.wav -map '[LFE]' LFE.wav -map '[BL]' BL.wav -map '[BR]' BR.wav

Both commands are really time-consuming on my machine, so it takes some time to execute. As the result, there is a wave file per each stream. And the FC channel is exactly what I was looking for. The rest of the stream files sound not as I expected: I thought that each of them would sound clean having one instrument (like a multi-track). But 5.1 is not intended to be studio multitracks, right?.. Ok, that's fine, not that case.

Another thing: for me, all Manson's vocals sound a little different "in the normal mode" (not listening to the FC stream only). I don't like how Manson's vocals sound in the DVD/BR (too ear-bleeding harsh vocals at higher frequencies or something like that), but aren't these just post-processing effects over his vocals? Why I'm asking is that there were some speculations that Manson had re-recorded the vocals in the studio after the performance in L.A. At least Manson made some minor lyrics mistakes/mumbling and these can be really heard nice if listening to the FC stream only (e.g. "The Nobodies", "Rock Is Dead"; or I just cannot recognize it well in the normal mode). Also, since I'm not a sound engineer, the FC stream is probably right what Manson really sung that night live and his directional (?) mic just filtered/limited the noise out so that's why it is really clean (however, I have no idea why the FC stream also features guitars and only drums kicks/snares) and really reflects his breathing or breast beating during "Irresponsible Hate Anthem" or "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", skipping some lyrics taking the mic away and so on.

There are also some "anomalies" that may sound different than they expected to appear, however I believe this is just because it sounds unusual from this perspective. For example, when Manson took away the mic during the "... like cheap coupons" line from "The Fight Song", the album version vocals (?) could be heard very quiet in the background. His phrase he said right after "The Dope Show" sounds other than the rest. "Antichrist Superstar" guitars are... I have no even an idea how to describe how it sound like in FC (does it use double/triple guitar sound with quite different timbre here?). No "how does it feel" before "The Beautiful People", but crowd noise now and different "There's no time to discriminate" sounding with more or less massive reverb. "Lunchbox" intro. Probably more. Interesting stuff to listen to anyway.
    Last edited by scarshock; 04-30-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Can someone be a dear and send me this file so I may use it in remixes

Aye you still want those files lol