Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retrospective: Born Villain

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Hasn't he always been like that, though? I can't think of a point in Manson's entire career or time spent collaborating with Twiggy where he's spoken extensively for more than half an hour about a Manson album. Neither have many other people to be honest, it's Manson's "beautiful show" and he likes to describe it for people personally. A shame in some ways because there's a lot about the actual music and guitar work I'd like to know from someone like Twiggy, but I think that's been the deal for a long time now, leopard, spots etc.
    Yea, but I meant his being uninterested in regards to booking conventions and meeting fans.
    You'd think that if I'm paying him for an autograph and a two second photo with me,
    Not to mention the travel expenses generally associated with attending these conventions,
    Then he could, at the very least, pretend to be interested.
    It's not like I cornered him and demanded a two hour verbal essay on the Triptych, Lol.
    I don't expect any musician or celebrity to shower me in gratitude simply for being a fan,
    But it certainly didn't help in validating my unwavering support over the past two decades.
    Effort, along with a smidgen of appreciation, goes a long way.

Surprisingly, Manson was about one hundred times more personal and sincere during our meeting.

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

Can anyone tell me who plays the crazy - awesome guitar solo in "Murderers are getting God Damned prettier everyday" ? Is that Mr.Manson playing it? It really reminds me of His style. (MM fankids check out the Brian Eno produced compilation album 'No New York' ) Also an extra request if someone could maybe verify which parts in what Born Villain songs have Mr.Manson playing the electric guitar. Thanks : )
    "Fake realities will create fake humans. Or, fake humans will generate fake realities and sell them to other humans, turning them, eventually, into forgeries of themself" -Philip K. Dick

Original AIDS provider.

As the liner notes for that album are absolutely bare minimal, and there's nothing to say otherwise, we can only assume that it's Twiggy.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Quote Originally Posted by Two Faced Egg (23) View Post
    Can anyone tell me who plays the crazy - awesome guitar solo in "Murderers are getting God Damned prettier everyday" ? Is that Mr.Manson playing it? It really reminds me of His style. (MM fankids check out the Brian Eno produced compilation album 'No New York' ) Also an extra request if someone could maybe verify which parts in what Born Villain songs have Mr.Manson playing the electric guitar. Thanks : )
    As far as I remember, in some interview Manson stated that he composed and played guitar in Pistol Whipped, Disengaged and one more song, which I can't remember unfortunately.

BV on repeat this week in tribute to this thread.
    "I'm not special, I'm just broken, and I don't wanna be fixed..."

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Manson plays on Slo-Mo, Pistol Whipped, Disengaged and Children of Cain. Can't remember if he did for the cover song. Murderers is most definitely Twig adding some Kerry King chaos.

"Born Villain" is, still to this day, the only MM record I can't play in its entirely. That pretty much sums up my restrospective.

I love Portrait, but it is not one that I associate with Born Villain. If anything, I think it goes better with Pale Emperor - they both share some similarity in theme (both in terms of lyrical imagery and topic matter), but TPE is more expansive and cinematic. Portrait may have some similar musical compositional elements (and I appreciate them all), but this is missing that sheer, gleefully, vicious rage that is in Portrait. That may be why it is hard for some people to embrace it. Born Villain reminds me far more of Sisters of Mercy in tone - or more accurately it induces that slightly bitter, melancholic and reflective mood I am put into when listening to them. Luckily it is a mood that I am happy to embrace.

The chaotic mixing of references on this record amuses me no end - smashing Baudelaire, old testament, vaudeville, and Greek myth together with everything else at once. I am, for a variety of reasons, always delighted to see the rape of persephone mentioned. It is only a bonus when Les fleurs du mal are thrown in. It has perhaps a similar Faustian quality to TPE, but far more lush and yet fragemented at the same time.

I also like seeing the gaps in music - haste and roughness is something I always appreciate just as much as polish. Always searching for that gap, that drop in production for contrast. The song that doesn't fly just as much as the one that takes off. And this album always seems so short when I listen to it. So fleeting. Despite the fact that it is technically longer than others.

What I am saddened by is that Manson seems to be sitting on his vocals, for whatever reason (everyone has already mentioned various potential reasons from laziness through to damage). There is definitely a lack of some of the playfulness found on other records, less stretching and contorting of the sounds to see them bend. Even with vocal layering, it only happens now and then. And as that particular sonic quality in his voice is what I tend to yearn after ... well. I suspect that is my biggest bug with Born Villain, but ... oh well. It is a personal quirk.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

" to that dumb live album thing they did." Recording live = Fun. Born Villain = No rules.
    "Fake realities will create fake humans. Or, fake humans will generate fake realities and sell them to other humans, turning them, eventually, into forgeries of themself" -Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Korpz View Post
    BV on repeat this week in tribute to this thread.
    Same.

For me, BV is one of MM's albums that I need to listen to to remind myself that I actually enjoy it. When I read this thread I thought "Oh yeah, BV, it's not great." But actually it is. EMDM and HEOL are in the same category. I'm not sure if this says something about these three albums, or has more to do with the fact that I stopped listening to MM just after GAOG, and got back on board with TPE. I therefore listened to the three "in between" albums quite quickly one after another, and after TPE.
    Incredibly charming