Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retrospective: Born Villain

Born Villain, in my view, is essentially The High End Of Low done right: like THEOL it has no especially coherent message or theme, but there's not a song I skip when it comes up on my playlist - no "Unkillable Monster". It isn't cohesive, but it actually works this time by virtue of simply having a much stronger collection of songs. (Perhaps a case can be made for linkage between "The Gardner" - "The Flowers Of Evil", but other than the shared floricultural imagery they don't seem to be connected lyrically or thematically.)

I'm not extremely taken by the heavier tracks on the record, like the opening song or "Murderers...", but I understand why they're there. The fanbase would have been apoplectic if he'd released another album like EAT ME, DRINK ME. You can certainly hear, as S.D. mentions, that they were written well before the moodier pieces, presumably on tour with Slayer - that mysterious guitar solo might be Kerry King. I've long speculated that Co-Morbid, the "suicide death metal" record, was actually going to be a thing and that MAGPED was probably written for it. Then someone realized it would be stupid to have an all-heavy all-the-time album for no reason other than pacifying the JNco crowd and thought better of it.

The title track is amazing. It's a toss up between that and "EAT ME, DRINK ME" for my favorite post-triptych Manson song. "Breaking The Same Old Ground" is totally unnecessary, and the wind-up music box introduction makes me think of the Insane Clown Posse or something equally unpalatable.

I must admit that I find it odd a lot of you don't care for "The Flowers Of Evil". It's my second-favorite track here (and that's a very close-run thing). It's by far the most deserving of the comparison to the Sisters Of Mercy that many of us make of these songs, and I love the Sisters, so I love this. Yes, it's quite repetitive, but in a hypnotic way that doesn't annoy.

That's about it. Oh, yeah, the album needed stronger visual imagery to accompany it, but that's a bit of a catch-22 - without a strong, boldly drawn core conceptual framework to ground the album, you're less likely to see the kind of astonishing visuals one expects from Manson. Even The Pale Emperor disappointed in this respect.
    Last edited by The Overman; 06-20-2016 at 02:44 AM.

I defended Born Villain more than once on this forum, so I'm sick of it!

All I have to say is that I like Born Villain much more than HW and TGAOG!

I think Holy Wood appeals only to a younger audience and I'm not so young anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I defended Born Villain more than once on this forum, so I'm sick of it!

All I have to say is that I like Born Villain much more than HW and TGAOG!

I think Holy Wood appeals only to a younger audience and I'm not so young anymore!
    im 36 and it's still my favorite!!! BV is still a pretty damn good album.

Quote Originally Posted by DecayingSinner View Post
    im 36 and it's still my favorite!!! BV is still a pretty damn good album.
    So you're still a disposable teen? LOL
    I wonder if MM will still sing it live, when he's 70 - it's going to be kind of weird LOL

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyVonB View Post
    Same.

For me, BV is one of MM's albums that I need to listen to to remind myself that I actually enjoy it. When I read this thread I thought "Oh yeah, BV, it's not great." But actually it is. EMDM and HEOL are in the same category. I'm not sure if this says something about these three albums, or has more to do with the fact that I stopped listening to MM just after GAOG, and got back on board with TPE. I therefore listened to the three "in between" albums quite quickly one after another, and after TPE.
    I think what that mostly says is that a lot of people will bitch and complain about those albums online, and it can be easy to buy in to that until you listen to it again and remember that a lot of people don't know shit, and you can enjoy those albums if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    So you're still a disposable teen? LOL
    I wonder if MM will still sing it live, when he's 70 - it's going to be kind of weird LOL
    Of course he will, if he still wants to. He's not exactly a teenager now is he? The point of the song isn't that it's for teenagers to sing, despite the title, he wrote it when he was in his 30's. Take another look at the lyrics and what it's about and you can see that age isn't actually a factor in it.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Well, this is not the only song, I think, that is more for a younger audience, 'The Fight Song' is also a song that is more for the younglings, like you LOL

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Few years later, how we feeling about this record now?

Crimes in the Ocean mr.svperstar13's Avatar

Still my least favorite Manson record by far. Initial praise was probably due to it being my first "new" Manson record. These days I can listen to it but I don't go out of my way too. Pistol Whipped is still the most boring song he's ever written. Can't say I really have anything else to say about this one that I already haven't said to ad nauseam in the past lol

I remember not liking THEOL at all early into my fandom days, but now I love it. I can't see myself ever feeling that way about BV since I turned around on THEOL a lot sooner and even then I at least really enjoyed some of the tracks upon first listen.

Is the site running slow as fuck for anyone else? My internet and everything else is fine but this site is running sooo slooooow.

This album came out during a point in my life where I wasn't really craving new Manson music. I had seen the teasers but wasn't really following every clue and piece of information we got. I did listen to a couple of the pre-release singles and liked them so when the album dropped I bought it and listened to it. I actually really like it, even more than The High End of Low. This was the first album with Loma Vista and never understood why it got so much hate. I'm gonna give it a listen tonight, it's been a while.

After the embarassingly awful High End of Low, Born Villain was a HUGE step in the right direction. Finally he was done whining about his exes/baiting emo kids in a desperate attempt to remain relevant and getting back to being Marilyn motherfucking Manson.