Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retrospective: The Golden Age Of Grotesque

I've just never really liked this album as a whole. The live shows and aesthetic were great but the album was always the weakest part for me. New Shit, mOBSCENE, sAINT, Doll Dagga are great tracks but the rest of the album just felt like white noise to me. It's hard to explain and subjective, it just feels like a lot of tracks were pushed out because an album needs to be so long. Nothing on the album really speaks to me, it just feels like an hour of Manson trying to show how smart and clever he is. I guess I also just don't "get" it, I don't get his infatuation with 1920s Germany or what he was going for with a lot of the album. Nothing about this era really resonated with me.

I don't think it's a bad album or fault anyone for liking it. I've just never been able to get that personal connection with it like I have with the Manson albums I love.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Nowadays, this album would be on the "Right Wing Watch" list of extremely dangerous content. It would go trending with the hashtag #Resist, only Manson wouldn't give a fuck because he would kick everyone in their balls then throw up copious amounts of alcohols and McDonalds on his protesters.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I've been listening today the album again with my headphones since the last time I played it enterely and paid close attention, which could be like... eight years ago, to be honest. Of course I play some of its songs every now and then, but not the entire thing, and with the same dedication I have done today.

I find myself surprised of how many layers of sound, effects and different sort of things are present everywhere, so that even his voice is layered to a point its insane in producing terms. I didn't remember there was such detail and dedication to it. Maybe that's why I liked it while everybody was bashing it. Some of its songs are a bit weak when it comes to its meaning, for example Better of Two Evils, but hell, Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth, The Bright Young Things, the album title song, This is The New Shit, Slutgarden, Para-noir, (s)aint, Spade... there's some really good screaming in a lot of those songs, they are well structured with different parts and aggressive guitars, interesting bridges, etc. I'm also really diggin the groove they have and most of it all, the bouncing. I think you can bounce to GAoG like a motherfucker, maybe I forgot about it.

I don't care if people hates it, as I'm sure nobody cares if I don't really dig the sound of Eat Me, Drink Me and The High End of Low or the songwriting of Born Villain, though I absolutely love some songs on those albums. I know a lot of people enjoy them much more than this one- it's a matter of tastes I guess, and a matter of what you value about music. But being a hater never leads to any good, so don't be a hater, each album has its own public and its own virtues and flaws, except the tryptic which is practially perfect. The discussion about which one is better is endless as we like what we like, it won't change by "debating".

What was I saying? Oh, yeah, that I really like this album now that I have paid attention again (I was a teenager when it came out). Maybe even more than I did at that time. Hell yes.
    Last edited by Pink Pope; 03-01-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Pope View Post
    Some of its songs are a bit weak when it comes to its meaning, for example The Better of Two Evils...

But being a hater never leads to any good, so don't be a hater...

What was I saying?
    XD XD XD

TGAOG is for be the last "big" album by Manson, it was his last effort to be iconic, before all that spiral to madness and depression he went into.
    Is full with slogans, propaganda, mockery, irony and the filthiest pop ever released.
    It is burlesque, war, Nazi imagery, but it is also rebellion, art and fury.
    I love this album more and more with the passing of time.
    The only bad thing about this era is the short time that was.
    It would be amazing if the era could last long, a year more at least.
    Also, Manson should play more of this album live in his current shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    XD XD XD
    I might have no sense of humor, but I don't see what's funny about what I wrote on those phrases, sincerely. Next time I'll think twice before doing anything, I guess.
    Last edited by Pink Pope; 03-01-2018 at 10:07 AM.

I meannn...you were hating on a song about haters while posting about hating on haters, lol.

More specifically, its MEANING, of all things!

I guess I thought the irony was fairly self-evident, I just cut out some of the fluff for the sake of emphasis.

;D

I love the production, everything is so tight and precise, the sounds are like cut diamonds. Mansons performances on the album are some of the best of his career, but I don't care for the lyrics. For me the album marks the start of a definite decline in the ambition of the themes Manson chooses to tackle in his songwriting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I meannn...you were hating on a song about haters while posting about hating on haters, lol.

More specifically, its MEANING, of all things!

I guess I thought the irony was fairly self-evident, I just cut out some of the fluff for the sake of emphasis.

;D
    ¿Since when I was hating anything? If you could provide any proof to it I would be grateful. The fact I can dislike a song doesn't make me a hater, get your things straight and don't twist my own words. Also, there's a huge difference between posting something and releasing a work of art. But I have the sense it's useless to debate with some people who would claim anyone to be a hater because of potato, and make a hugh laugh at it- the irony was not self-evident from the point I wasn't hating on anything, but expressing an opinion.

Thank you. With much love and so on. Jesus Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    I love the production, everything is so tight and precise, the sounds are like cut diamonds. Mansons performances on the album are some of the best of his career, but I don't care for the lyrics. For me the album marks the start of a definite decline in the ambition of the themes Manson chooses to tackle in his songwriting.
    Sorry for the double post, I also love the production though it's a bit loud at times and lacks some dinamic range, but this is been a constant in his new last albums and also they sound polished to an extreme that's amazing. I guess the loudness war has reached a point it can't go louder without sounding crushed. I also think lyrics are good and enjoyable, he's talking about not having to talk, saying he has said it all before, putting an own end to his career, to some degree, and moving on (moving on...) in a different direction without being another than himself. I love Ouroboros as a concept, and this album was the end of the tail that was somehow showing the sharp teeth of the same serpent, biting itself. Hold my hand, spin around...
    Last edited by Pink Pope; 05-19-2018 at 10:20 AM.

A Psycho's Path Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar

I was listening to this yesterday (It's 15th anniversary) and i still think it's dynamic range is narrow af. As if it lacks bass or something, and it's really mixed loud. Still a badass album, but it's a headache sometimes lol.

As for a "Lack of Ambition in his songwriting", i think this was Manson at one of his most creative times. I think the Era itself, Aesthetic, theme(s), and tour was much elaborate and creative, and overall better than the album. The album seemed to be a platform for much to come. The album is full of creative wordplay, and lots of Nonsensical Dada words piled up on top of each other; not bad, but it's definitely more direct than his past writing on, let's say.... HW.

Also, it was a ballsy move for the band at the time. Diverting from something like Holy Wood to something completely fresh. It's a theme on the album, as Pink Pope said, Ouroboros, self-devouring and creating something new. It wasn't an end to his career, or selling out, but a new beginning. Same with the intentions of LWF.

"When one world ends, something else begins..."

Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.