Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Retrospective: The Golden Age Of Grotesque

HW is my first and TGAOG is still my second favorite era and album. everything from the music, to the line up, clothing, live shows, phot shoots, imagery, and excitement. It’s all there... and still takes me back,

This is the era when I became a fan. For some reason I saw Bowling for Columbine at that age and I was impressed by his comments and the small part of The Fight Song. I remember telling a friend on MSN Messenger (remember that gem?) that I was watching him on MTV (remember when they had music? lol) and he said he saw him on that show. I was so jealous! Needless to say he's still one of my best friends.

Right now I also look back at it as his last concept album and the last album where he actually had a band that was not only around for touring. And the last official band photos as far as I remember. Pity, but things go as the go I guess. Shit, a lot has happend since then. Maybe the most in his public career? His relationships, depressions, all that happened with Twiggy? The albums have been a whole lot different since 2003. In my view at least. The end of the Grotesk Burlesk tour is a turning point to me.

Musically, I don't think it's his strongest effort. I like the first part of the album, but what I like most about it is that it's a album as a whole. Lyrically, thematically, musically, a nice opener and closer. Just an album that stands on its own as a whole. I really hope he'll make an album like that again in the future again. One with a set-up like this. Full of ideas, inspiration about a certein subject or part of history. A real concept album with a real idea behind it full of collaborations. (though I love every note he wrote with Bates)

Hard to explain (especially in English) what I mean, and I hope it doesn't sound negative, because the album is special to me and always will be.