Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SALEM: Thomas Dinley (Manson) & Early America

Add gunz on Facebook Follow gunz on Tumblr

Default SALEM: Thomas Dinley (Manson) & Early America

When I first saw the trailer for Salem and it had Marilyn Manson as a character I was ecstatic. I knew the role would fit his personality perfect due to his career and life on the road. The character is based on the barber of the town and I wanted to do an analysis or an overview of the history pertaining to such a role in society of Early America. I am actually incorporating all of this due to my current studies in mortuary school of which I graduate next May.
    How Manson’s “villain” image ties in with his role as Thomas Dinley in Salem. I will take you back to the father of modern surgery.
    [IMG][/IMG]Ambroise Paré (1510-1590): French barber-surgeon: Famous quote “Je le pansai, Dieu le guérit " (I bandaged him and God healed him). During the Battle of Milan a particular event that stood out for Paré is when he witnessed two men who had been severely burned by gunpowder have their throats sliced by a fellow soldier due to the fact Paré said he could not “fix” them. Paré shouted that the soldier was a “villain”. Translations of his works (English) were by Thomas Johnson (1634). Paré is also known for making/ designing limb prostheses. We know that M. is a collector of such fascinating items due to the appearance of them in videos and pictures.
    The first scene in his barber building is a person with cuts and leeches all over their body. Let’s go over a few things from early times.
    Bloodletting was a common practice due to the thinking it could eliminate an “overbalance” of blood.
    The world at that time believed that things needed to be in balance (the humors of the body) in order to cure diseases.
    Humors as they were called consists of yellow bile, black bile, phlegm, and blood).
    Barbers were usually assistants to the monks and priests whom at the time of the Dark Ages were also physicians.
    Since barbers were leaders of the razor, they practiced bloodletting for many years. They also at one time were doing tooth extractions and fixing wounds. [IMG][/IMG]
    The Fleam is a device/tool with a blade situated at right angles to the handle. The Scarificator is a single blade which was spring-loaded. A cup was used as a receptacle for the blood after the scarificator was used on the patient which became known as “cupping”. Sometimes the human mouth (lips would suck out the blood).
    Leeches were used often and the barbers (surgeons) preferred ones imported from Europe due to it’s ability to consume more blood than the American leech. Leeches could also be used as torture due to the fact they will vomit into wounds if burned, squeezed and cause infection in the very bite they made. Tranexamic acid has been used in present day to help treat or prevent excessive blood loss ( found in the 1950’s).
    Leeches are fascinating little creatures because they can help with reattachments of body parts such as ears since they help prevent blood clots from their “potent cocktail of more than 30 different proteins that, among other things, helps to numb pain, reduce swelling and keep blood flowing”. (Source: livescience.com)
    Last edited by gunz; 08-08-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: I jacked it up with the edit

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

I had pictures to post with this but the site is blocking them for some reason. I'll try to piece them with this at a later date.

Why do you keep talking about American Horror Story? Isn't he going to be in Salem?
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

I suck at life. Thanks for correcting the post.

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

Great job @gunz : )

I am ecstatic for it too! Though for different reasons I imagine. Your career has gave You a really good subjective perception of it all.

Cheers (TwentyThree)
    . . the fear takes hold

7. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I wanna hear your reasons :D I'm only at 10 bodies embalmed so far. I need a few years practice in. I can only imagine how much they will expand on the barb-surgeon role but I hope they go nitty gritty and we see some wild scenes. I had pictures from my own personal collection but I do believe they are too graphic for the site. Expand on this 23!

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

Okay , but I have never seen Salem. I don't even have wgn. But having watched all the trailers , season three appears to be a very high quality series. The visual and auditory atmosphere has drawn me in. Plus hey , its got gorgeous red head witch girls √
    . . the fear takes hold

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Ah. Those red heads will getcha. Haha .It should be a solid season.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Similar vibe & I love that. Tom Waits did an amazing performance. The dark, musty imagery is fitting.

The smallpox epidemic in 1692 killed about 500 people in the Salem Village area. [IMG][/IMG]
    In Season 2, There is a character whom is working with the victims of the smallpox epidemic and this is the dialogue from episode 3.
    “See, I would have thought you’d consider the body a constant source of pain and temptation to hell, like your husband.”—Wainwright
    “You make a body as beautiful without the skin as with it.”-Mary
    “ I only wish my hand was as adept at uncovering the mysteries beneath the skin.”—Wainwright
    “Hathorne wonders if you really came to town to cure the plague or to humor some dark obsession with the dead”—Mary
    “both”-Wainwright
    Mary: so, tell me, in all this science, this impiety against god, what is it you’re looking for?”
    W: I seek the materiality of the soul---its embodiment, and, likewise the soul that lives in all things. If we can understand the physical seat of the soul, and we understand the spiritual nature of all things, then we might learn to do so much.
    M: You sound like a witch.
    W: Well, Perhaps so. Perhaps, in their own misbegotten way, witches are scientists.
    M: well, then Hathorne would be right, and scientists are also witches.
    W: But I do not seek to hurt anyone. I am searching for the very organ that proves god’s existence within us.
    M: and where is it?
    W: A chamber, deeply protected within the chest, if you believe Aristotle. Descartes saw it residing in the brain but I believe it’s right about here---the crossroads between body and mind. They’re calling the small organ hidden just there the thyroid, from the greek “Thyreoiedes”—“Shield Shaped”. I think it is the seat of the soul. [IMG][/IMG]
    I am hoping that some inspiration for Manson’s role is drawn from the Wainwright character since he is so deeply convinced on his theories. For instance, He grabs Mary’s throat until she nearly passes out. Wainwright asks along the lines of how it feels to lose complete control to someone else. Patients will have to do just that in Manson's role.

“Thinking, loving, and hating are affections not of mind, but of that which has mind, so far as it has it. That is why, when this vehicle decays, memory and love cease; they were activities not of mind, but of the composite which has perished; mind is, no doubt, something more divine and impassible. That the soul cannot be moved is therefore clear from what we have said, and if it cannot be moved at all, manifestly it cannot be moved by itself.”—Translated work of Aristotle
    [IMG][/IMG]
    In one of the episodes, Mary’s son grabs his mother’s face and kisses her. This would be seen as “Oedipus Complex”. It also occurs between the characters: Von Marburg & Sebastian.
    In the song "Overneath The Path Of Misery" this line sticks out: Now Macbeth confessed Oedipus no longer present tense.
    In Macbeth, we have to remember that he (Macbeth) received a prophecy from three witches about his coming to power as the King of Scotland.

Another interesting thing is some of the stories told on witchcraft in Salem were based on “legend of the Faust type” usually in Essex.
    Faust which was a story that originated about Dr. Johann Georg Faust who was an alchemist in late 15th to early 16th century. Faust stories talk about selling your soul to the devil. The story summons a demon Mephisto in which the demon would keep the soul of the Faust for a trade of power and knowledge.

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post