Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Manson's Face Stripes

Default Manson's Face Stripes

Does someone know why Manson was wearing the pink stripe across his eyes during the Rape of The World tour ?
    You can also see him wearing a black one during the Against All Gods tour.
    He also used to wear a thin black stripe across his nose during the Holy Wood era, I read that that has a connection to a white one that Adam Ant used to wear.
    An answer would be much appreciated.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

It's been an ever-changing motif during his career, sometimes highlighting the eyes only, sometimes just underneath the eyes, sometimes covering the entire upper-half of his face, etc.

I think it started its life as an emblem of decay or discoloration during Smells Like Children. Bear in mind that Manson's aesthetic inspiration for the record was The Child Catcher. Now, within the context of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Child Catcher is often recognised as a variation of The Pied Piper Of Hamlin, which in itself is a metaphor for The Black Death or child mortality. A range of other influences are present; David Bowie, Pris in Blade Runner, Adam Ant - Ant's own stripe being an implicit Native American appropriation - and American football's 'war' paint during The Fight Song.
    It often changes colour and shape; black and purple during Antichrist Superstar, red and blue during Mechanical Animals, black during Lest We Forget, pink for The Rape Of The World. An original and overlooked inspiration, however, is probably the woman in-part responsible for Manson's commercial success, Annie Lennox:-

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    Does someone know why Manson was wearing the pink stripe across his eyes during the Rape of The World tour ?
    You can also see him wearing a black one during the Against All Gods tour.
    He also used to wear a thin black stripe across his nose during the Holy Wood era, I read that that has a connection to a white one that Adam Ant used to wear.
    An answer would be much appreciated.
    Hello Ivanov
    I had meaning to create a opinion piece on just this.
    In recent years interviews Mr.Manson has compared to their live performances to cinema and giving us a few references as clues.
    Paraphrased quote of something like "..the live performances are part Blade Runner"
    That's a top favorite film of mine and I encourage all Marilyn Manson fans to experience it as well read as much Philip K. Dick as possible.
    I feel Mr.Manson wearing the stripe across the face is Him playing the role of a Replicant.

And it gets stranger in context with the songs in the set list. Also Him cutting His hands and smearing blood over the paint stripe. And another when He paints the red circle with a line through over the top of that. How could that be interpreted?
    I think it all has to do with the message of "The authentic human being"
    As with Philip K. Dick and Ridley Scott , Mr.Manson's art project seems to be deeply referencing false realities. Synthetic people. Ersatz if You want. Do You?
    . . the fear takes hold

The Pink Stripe makeup and get up from Rape of the World tour is my favorite look for him live.
    A Wicked Epicenter / / I Want To Dream

Quote Originally Posted by spaceSuicide View Post
    The Pink Stripe makeup and get up from Rape of the World tour is my favorite look for him live.
    Same!