Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 20th Anniversary ACSS Release

He is indeed a child and it's funny as hell XD. Too bad for the legal side of life fucking everything up.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow PaperDoll on Tumblr Visit PaperDoll's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ReversedHate View Post
    He is indeed a child and it's funny as hell XD.

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Morthem View Post
    Record sales are terrible if you compare them with what they used to be.

The thing is that, many of this stuff must be decided by the ones who "invest" because, obviously they own the money to do everything

And if they are not sure they will make a HELL LOT OF MONEY, why even risking yourself to lose some dollars?

The other thing is that Manson, let's admit it, is a child, it doesn't matter how you look at him xD

He might say a lot of things because he "wants" to do some stuff... but then comes the legal department and spanks him .

He might say" Oh, I've found this cool stuff and I wanna release it"

Then legal department says.. You don't own this stuff, shut up!

The same happens when he """announces""" special shows (like the tryptich one) if the promoters do not like the idea, they do not book the show and to hell with that. Obviously Manson loves to fuck up some rules, but he's not that extreme (or stupid) to release stuff he doesn't own legally or to change his entire show out of nowhere.
    Rob Zombie just got done playing a classic 90s White Zombie album (Astro-Creep 2000) in it's entirety for a special one-off show at Riot Fest in Chicago. I don't know Zombie personally, but as an avid fan for nearly 15 years, I feel confident in saying that Zombie is the type of guy that generally doesn't care to look back or rest on laurels, he would rather go and make new shit. It's my speculative opinion that Riot Fest probably offered him a big chunk of change to do this entire White Zombie set list. He literally has not performed most of these songs in 20 years, and some of them he has NEVER performed, even back when they were written with WZ. I know my mind was blown at the news of this happening. This was kind of a dream come true for us old school fans. But it's a little unheard of; Zombie just released an album of new material this year that he's been touring for, and literally been touring non-stop for with bands like Korn and Disturbed. This one-off random show was really random.

I bring this up purely for comparison with Manson playing any of the tryptich albums.

So, obviously Manson is a well known established artist and a great many of his fans would love to see Antichrist played in it's entirety. I don't think the promoters would need much persuasion, honestly. It baffles me if they would need any. I think with so many albums worth of material, in all likelihood, the decision not to do it comes directly from Manson and Co, regardless of what Manson may have said in the past. There are a lot of "hits" and set list staples that come from other albums and newer material and there is just not much of a reason to go back and rehearse all of those songs. But really, it couldn't be THAT hard. Manson has played MOST of Antichrist live over the last 8 years or so. What have we gotten so far?
    Hate Anthem
    Beautiful People
    Dried Up, Tied Up, Dead to the World
    Tourniquet
    Little Horn
    Angel With Scabbed Wings
    Mister Superstar (can't remember if it was the whole song or just teased)
    Antichrist Superstar
    Reflecting God

10/16 songs aint bad. Correct me if I missed any.

I think maybe the best odds of something like this happen will come from a festival that hires him specifically to perform the album as a whole. That kind of cash would sure be an incentive...especially if it's an idea they've toyed around with anyway. This would seal the deal. Too bad he wasn't on the Riot Fest bill with Zombie, since it would have been the 20th anniversary. Oh well, it was Astro-Creep's 21st anniversary, so there are no rules over numbers/ages that sound better to the ear to make something like this happen.

And surely there is no legal issue with him performing these old songs, so long as he doesn't film it and sell it. That's when you'd need to go through legal bs with interscope. Anyone can perform whatever they want...at least I believe so.... cover bands would be getting sued all the time if this weren't the case.

This brings me to the first issue with old recordings that he may not "own". Obviously without having all the details and information, it's impossible to say. But.... I find it hard to believe that he couldn't just pull a fast one if he wanted to. There are all kinds of legal loopholes for things like this. One interesting example is with the band Dope. One of their more memorable songs is a song called "Bitch". It's something of a hit for them. Anyway, because of some record label mumbo jumbo, they apparently didn't have the rights to it, and their way of getting the rights back for it was to re-release it but to call it "Bitch (alternate version)". Even though it's EXACTLY the same in every way. Another possibility instead of merely changing the song title might be to take the song and put an extra second or two of ambience at the end of it, even though you didn't fuck with the song at all, you just extended nothingness for 2 seconds. That could be another possibility.

I'm sure if Manson cared enough to do it, he could find a way to release it. Or, again, this might piss fans off, but I guess I don't think I'd care. What if he pulled an Ozzy and if some old band member was playing on the tracks, what if he just re-recorded the guitar parts with Twiggy or one of the newer guys. There are all kinds of ways you can screw over ex members and record labels out of contractual agreements and shit. Look at Prince changing his name to a fucking symbol as a way of twisting his contractual obligations!

Also, I don't buy that it wouldn't make money if it was released and promoted. Manson still can sell an album. You know, it sucks and we would all like a super nice package, etc... but whatever. If that is the issue, then fine, cut corners, and put out a shitty simplistic album package with no booklet or whatever...put up what you want to go with it online for free for fans to print out. It depends on what you want and how bad you want it. I just want to hear the damn unreleased songs. AND, this is entirely assuming that he wants to make SOME money on it. It wouldn't break any contracts or anything if the songs just mysteriously got *LEAKED* online, for free. Then there is nothing anyone can do. So, if he wants the shit out there for fans to hear, there are multiple ways around the system without getting permission from Interscope, and getting old band mates to agree and then cutting everyone's checks and yada yada.

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

It'd be cool as fuck to see him play the album all the way through.

P.S. He played MTYF a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34aiuCrujoc

Quote Originally Posted by M Tragedy666 View Post

This brings me to the first issue with old recordings that he may not "own". Obviously without having all the details and information, it's impossible to say. But.... I find it hard to believe that he couldn't just pull a fast one if he wanted to. There are all kinds of legal loopholes for things like this. One interesting example is with the band Dope. One of their more memorable songs is a song called "Bitch". It's something of a hit for them. Anyway, because of some record label mumbo jumbo, they apparently didn't have the rights to it, and their way of getting the rights back for it was to re-release it but to call it "Bitch (alternate version)". Even though it's EXACTLY the same in every way. Another possibility instead of merely changing the song title might be to take the song and put an extra second or two of ambience at the end of it, even though you didn't fuck with the song at all, you just extended nothingness for 2 seconds. That could be another possibility.
    I suspect they probably re-recorded it, just sounding exactly the same (not that I know anything about that particular case!). I know that's not uncommon. The Darkness did it with their Christmas single a couple of years ago, so they basically get more money when that 99% identical new version is sold or played!

universal wouldn't have released ACS on cassette for RSD UK unless they had plans for a 20th anniversary reissue later in the year.

does anybody know when the manson interview was actually conducted? magazine interviews often take place several weeks or months before publication.

at this point, there's no way uni is dropping a box set on 10/20, but that doesn't mean there still can't be a november or december release.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal View Post
    Yeah that's exactly the problem. Interscope would have funded the ACS recording sessions. So they own all recordings created in those sessions - released or not. Manson et al. retain their song writing copyright but that's only the sheet music.
    Interscope own the recordings for only a set amount of time, though. They paid for the album to be recorded, manufactured, distributed, et al., but artists almost always eventually get the rights to their recordings - unless you signed an exceptionally shitty deal, which happens (read up on the deal Van Morrison signed for "Brown Eyed Girl". Dude got fucked).

And looking at other recording artists who signed deals in the early/mid nineties, it seems as though labels at the time preferred a 20-year ownership deal. Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morissette both released deluxe editions of their debut albums on their 20th anniversary: and those are just two examples among many, many others.

I'm not saying I believe the October 20th release date, but it's definitely possible.

Better make room for this next to your Born Villain Deluxe Edition, guys.

12. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Last edited by mister saint laurent; 10-07-2016 at 07:46 PM.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

As much as I love ACSS, I don't see it as his magnum opus.... Or any record off of the triptych for that matter. I'd say that Golden Age was his magnum odious. Coruscating with fugly conjoined, incestuous female disciples and an XXX-Coke-Pain-Vivi-Circus of Chaos as well as the completion of his "alchemical" evolution post Holywood. Mickey Mouse, doped up, black faced clown with a podium and Nazi swag. Now THAT was Marilyn Manson in his prime. However, that's not what we're getting. We're getting extra footage from Begotten where his cameos were cut, I mean quite possibly the music videos for ACSS and Cryptorchid. That and potentially a fake abuse for his anti-bio groupie footage. Golden Age was louder. It was full of nonsense and perversion. It destroyed the familiar soundscape of past records as well as the nucleus of the band itself. ACSS was for semi-competent amateur nihilists to soak up and feel betrayed by in the end whenever he abandoned that message. However, this should still be a delight. Especially considering how much of a statement that record was which disrupted the mainstream and outraged so many people. There were no trigger warnings back then. So, I hope that this rerelease along with the new record will be like "licking the floor of a men's room and getting kicked in the balls with a brick on a shoe" for a good portion of a society that needs to be abused again.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post