Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: School shooting in Monterrey, México

Default School shooting in Monterrey, México

This happened 2 days ago in Monterrey, Mexico's 3rd. largest city. Needless to say, my heart's broken, I never thought we could experience an event like this. I was always used to see this thing from a safe distance, I used to think it was an all-american thing, and now the nightmare happened here, in my homeland. I feel devastated.

Mexican Student Fatally Shoots Himself in Classroom After Wounding Four

MEXICO CITY — A 15-year-old student opened fire on his classmates and teacher on Wednesday morning in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey, wounding four people before killing himself, state officials said.

Leaked video images of the attack, recorded by a security camera, circulated throughout the day on Mexican television stations and the internet.

A state spokesman, Aldo Fasci, said the graphic footage from the school, the Colegio Americano del Noreste, showed the student, identified as Federico Guevara Elizondo, shooting at seated classmates and the teacher with a handgun. He then says something to the rest of the students before shooting himself in the head.

The governor of the State of Nuevo León, Jaime Rodríguez, instructed the state attorney to determine who had leaked the video, which he called a “perverse and morbid action that shall be punished.” Officials said Mr. Guevara’s motives were as yet unknown, but Mr. Fasci suggested that the young man suffered from a mental illness for which he was getting therapy.

State officials said the student wounded the teacher, Cecilia Cristina Solís, 24, two 15-year-old students and a 14-year-old. Three of the wounded were in critical condition, officials said.

Investigators are looking into where the student got the weapon used in the attack, they said.

School shootings are rare in Mexico. Analysts and officials struggled to recall any similar episodes in recent history.

“These events worry and leave us all in anguish, wondering over what is happening in our society where a young man of such a young age dares to take the life or wound his classmates,” Mr. Rodríguez said in a news conference. “What are we doing as parents, why are our families finding themselves in this situation?”

President Enrique Peña Nieto expressed his condolences on his Twitter account but did not respond to comments by other officials about the need for tougher gun control laws and tighter security measures at schools.
    Morning Briefing: Americas

What you need to know to start your day, delivered to your inbox.
    Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

“As a family man and President, what happened this morning at the high school in Monterrey hurts me so much,” he wrote in his Twitter post.

In 2010, Nuevo León’s state education department began a security program in public schools that included random checks of student backpacks. The Colegio Americano del Noreste, a private school, ended the program some years ago after heavy resistance from parents. The school, also known as the American School of the Northeast, specializes in bilingual education.

Governor Rodríguez said the program was still in effect in public schools. He also said that parents had a responsibility to “help and further cooperate with the teachers” to identify children who might be having problems.

“The parents’ responsibility will never be replaced by any public policy, program or government’s action,” he said.

The Mexican Constitution recognizes the right to own guns, but experts said the legal purchase of weapons by Mexicans in the United States had increased in recent years, especially in northern border states like Nuevo León.

“This is a wake-up call that should be taken seriously by Mexican authorities to implement further control measures as well as to educate these families that decide to own guns, in order to avoid a copycat phenomenon where young, troubled people steal their parents guns to punish their classmates,” said Eduardo Guerrero, a security analyst based in Mexico City. “We should emulate the United States in many ways and manners, but definitely not in this one.”

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/w...rrey.html?_r=0

A Psycho's Path Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar

Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

</3
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.