Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EMDM and THEOL are outstanding albums!

Default EMDM and THEOL are outstanding albums!

So many remarkable records, sadly some people can't appreciate when artists start to dig deeper in themselves! I can relate to both albums more than let's say Born Villain, POAAF and even TPE. His last record i must admit has better production and sounds like he was really focused but i liked the fact he wasn't afraid of exposing himself and his feeling during 2007-2009.
    EMDM and THEOL are really some underrated works of art.

Hopefully someday fans will appreciate them for what they are AND not what they could've been.

2. Like 8 Member(s) liked this post

I'd say a good majority of people on here like and respect his post LWF work. I hardly see anyone ever making it sound like they hate the albums. The only album I am not so fond of is BV but even then, I do love the concept of the album and themes it has. It also has a very good lead single with No Reflection. The music videos for that era were also really well done in my opinion. Overall I think most people find things they enjoy out of everything. Some people may not enjoy them 100% but I would say a good bit do. You'd be surprised brotherman.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

4. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

EMDM is a great album with solid musicianship from Skokd and great memorable songs.
    Theol is a shit album with one good song with bad lyrics and shit production. I blame Twiggy and his narrow and uninspired lazy riff recycling for how bad theol and born villain turned out. The man is an embarrassment to the musician community.
    Four rusted horses was good. Mansons last good song.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Running to the edge of the world music video is the cringiest most awkward and painful video one can sit through.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zimscum View Post
    Running to the edge of the world music video is the cringiest most awkward and painful video one can sit through.
    Hey, we agree on something for once (besides EMDM being good).

If that song were two minutes shorter and the video had a little more going on, it could've been awesome. But nope. Ended up sucking pretty hard, IMNSHO.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Idunno On Twitter

The High End of Low is my favorite Marilyn Manson album of the last decade and Eat Me, Drink Me comes second, even though songs like "I Want to Kill You Like They Do in the Movies" and "We're From America" from the first, as well as "Are You the Rabbit?", "Mutilation Is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery" and "You and Me and the Devil Makes 3" from the latter make me bored out of my head, and so do half the songs from Born Villain, while "WOW" might be the most absurd song I've ever heard.

Also @Zimscum, Twiggy has proven his worth multiple times in the past, so I don't think it's his fault that you don't like these albums, and I think the production is perfect.
    "We were too dumb to run, too dead to die."

12. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Idunno View Post
    The High End of Low is my favorite Marilyn Manson album of the last decade and Eat Me, Drink Me comes second, even though songs like "I Want to Kill You Like They Do in the Movies" and "We're From America" from the first, as well as "Are You the Rabbit?", "Mutilation Is the Most Sincere Form of Flattery" and "You and Me and the Devil Makes 3" from the latter make me bored out of my head, and so do half the songs from Born Villain, while "WOW" might be the most absurd song I've ever heard.

Also @Zimscum, Twiggy has proven his worth multiple times in the past, so I don't think it's his fault that you don't like these albums, and I think the production is perfect.
    I don't know if you're a musician or not. But if not I'll explain his technique to you.
    Grab a shitty guitar. Probably BC Rich with a shitty Agathas body. Plug into shitty Line6 Spider. Turn Gain all the way up.
    Remove the following strings from shitty guitar D G B E leaving only the low E and A. Drop the low E to a D to minimize demand on finger dexterity.
    Play basic palm muted power riffs.
    Never practice your parts for live performances.
    Steal riff from previous bass player and attempt to pass it off as your own.
    Recycle riffs you used from ONE album ago.
    Leave band and return a few years later because you can't make it on your own. Your side projects are boring and your other bands caught onto your lack of talent and never called you back.
    Rejoin Manson but make no effort to improve your skills live. Get demoted to bass player. Get left out of most recent recording entirely.
    Hang self in janitors closet.
    Bam! Twiggy's creative process.
    ������������������

14. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Man Who Fell From Earth A Gruesome Discovery's Avatar

I think you meant "promoted" to bass player. A demotion for a guitarist means working in a tollbooth.
    edit:
    <------My BC Rich is also offended.
    ...but it's got an alder body, so....
    Last edited by A Gruesome Discovery; 01-29-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    This space intentionally left blank.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I've always loved those albums, The High End of Low was the first album release I really experienced from Manson so it holds a particular, almost nostalgic place in my heart.

18. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I love EMDM and THEOL. EMDM really helped me through a VERY hard time. Even before the album was released, anticipation for it literally kept me alive. Through interviews of Manson around that time, I felt like I was going through some very similar experiences, and I was totally depressed and very near suicidal, but what kept me going was just not wanting, but NEEDING to hear what Manson had to say... I could ALWAYS relate with his lyrics on all prior albums, and in some cases, identified with them, but this time was different....this was the first time it felt like something more than just relating and understanding (in my mind) where he was coming from....this was a time of desperation for me and I seriously just counted down the days till the album release....not because I'm a fan of the band and I couldn't wait to hear their new material or anything like that....it was so much more... I don't know how to explain it. Everyone is excited for SAY10. Anytime you're a fan, you can't wait for an album release. But it was different in this one case for me. It wasn't about wanting new songs to jam out to, I didn't care in the normal way people look forward to an album....I literally was going insane and the only thing keeping me alive was just knowing in advance that Manson made an album about things I was going through...almost as if he made the album specifically FOR ME. I know that's not true, of course, but I just mean it in the sense that I was vaguely aware of what the topics were going to be on the album and was looking to Manson to help me get through this period, or to not get through it. I just wanted to know what he had to say. I wanted his advice about all this relationship bullshit that I would get through the music and lyrics. I'm not sure I'm describing this right, but I don't know how else to say it. We all look forward to new albums and get super excited and want to hear the new music and experience the new "era", and see what kind of stories and concepts will be on the new albums.... but in this case, none of that stuff mattered to me. I just needed to know what he had to say about all this. It wasn't about being excited for new music....it was about living or dying. And maybe you'll think that's stupid. So be it. I don't care what you think. It's what I felt at the time. It was a horrible, awful place to be, and EMDM talked me through it on some very dark nights.

So, I don't listen to that album much anymore, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. That summer of 2007 ended up being a CRAZY summer with some of my best and worst life experiences. I wish I could relive the whole thing. A few months back, I started listening to the album, got about half way through and got bored with it.... It's something I have fond memories of, but it could be just what I went through....maybe it's not the greatest album or anything, maybe I just held it up on a pedestial because of what it meant to me at the time it was released. In retrospect, it's not as good as I remember it being. But it's still great.

THEOL I could not relate with when it first came out. I didn't understand the album till about a year or two later, and then it all made sense. These days, I think THEOL is the better of the two albums. It's one of those albums, like Pink Floyds The Wall that you can't just listen to a couple tracks of. It's a journey you have to experience all the way through. At least it's that way for me. I know many of you feel the Trilogy are albums like that that you have to listen all the way through. I think this is the case of THEOL for me more than any others for whatever reason. It really, truly does play out like a movie and I think it's one of his best post-Tryptych pieces of work. I think it's better than Born Villain and The Pale Emperor for sure. It's so dark, and I finally see how he was able to connect it to ACSS, even though they are VERY different albums, I get the desolute, hopeless feeling and vibe.... it's hard to explain. Someone mentioned ...Kill You Like THey Do In THe Movies. That's one of his greatest songs ever written! So many classics...you have the weird, "absurd" WOW...not one of his best, but musically interesting as fuck.... I love We're From America, Pretty as a S, Armageddon, Blank and White, I love the video to Running to the Edge..... I didn't get it at first and thought it was boring too....but now, it's fucking awesome....it really showcases the humanity and emotion....brilliant idea. Sure, he may not make new fans with a video like that, but for us old die hards, we should be able to appreciate what he did. And the ending is epic too. The video plays like a murder suicide note, and he's filming his last message for the cops that find their bodies. That's what I get out of it anyway.

Although I love many songs off of Born Villain and I'm happy it exists...it's FAR weaker than either EMDM or THEOL. That being said, No Reflection is one of his BEST songs, and I also LOVE his cover of You're So Vain...I've talked about my problems with that album before...I feel like it was a great idea that just wasn't executed well....lazy lyrics and music....mostly lazy lyrics.... Could have been such a cool concept album, but just didnt capture the genius of any of the previous albums. I still totally dig it though and it's still better than any other shit any pop bands or rock bands or metal bands put out....The weakest Manson album is still worlds above most everything else. I go back and forth on The Pale Emperor. It sounds more mature...I like it. Let's see what happens next....the best is yet to come I'm sure!

20. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post