Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: EMDM and THEOL are outstanding albums!

The only thing wrong with the video for "Running to the Edge of the World" is the fact that Evan Rachel Wood isn't in it.

But then again that's pretty much the whole point so...

:-\

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    The only thing wrong with the video for "Running to the Edge of the World" is the fact that Evan Rachel Wood isn't in it.

But then again that's pretty much the whole point so...

:-\
    She was in it in spirit lol

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

I love both albums, but I hate the THEOL era, I mean I love the album, but the tour, visual concept, videos and etc were really terrible, at some point it was like seeing a cover band trying to do what Manson did, same with BV tour.
    But all in all, THEOL would be an epic album if four rosted horses alternate version were the album version and if armaGDMFgeddon would have a proper guitar riff , besides that, I love all the darkness and depressive feeling around the album.
    EMDM was just fenomenal at the time, really unexpected and honest, and skold did a outstanding job with the music, the bad thing is that Manson himself seems to pretend that he doesn't like the album anymore. Heart Shaped Glasses is an amazing song btw.

5. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

It'd be nice if Manson would stop pretending EMDM didn't exist.

7. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Heaven's Reflection Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by arkahno View Post
    I love both albums, but I hate the THEOL era, I mean I love the album, but the tour, visual concept, videos and etc were really terrible, at some point it was like seeing a cover band trying to do what Manson did, same with BV tour.
    But all in all, THEOL would be an epic album if four rosted horses alternate version were the album version and if armaGDMFgeddon would have a proper guitar riff , besides that, I love all the darkness and depressive feeling around the album.
    EMDM was just fenomenal at the time, really unexpected and honest, and skold did a outstanding job with the music, the bad thing is that Manson himself seems to pretend that he doesn't like the album anymore. Heart Shaped Glasses is an amazing song btw.
    *phenomenal

And i actually think the aesthetic and imagery of THEOL and even BV were great. Really dark and unique, and those two albums mirror each other in a way. EMDM was on it's own thing. But the slant themes of BV and THEOL were really relevant to the albums they pertained to. The film-noir theme of THEOL, the Greek themes and such. The website for THEOL era in 2009 was awesome too, it had a slight different aesthetic to it, compared to the album art and such. I feel it (MM.com) was a expanded form of the 2005-2006 MM Celebritarian site. My Avatar and Sig comes from the era/ site, obviously. Everything album THEOL era was cool, except for (Most) of it's tour. The Imagery of the Era for BV was great, Tour was good, and half of the album was pretty good.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

9. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    *phenomenal

And i actually think the aesthetic and imagery of THEOL and even BV were great. Really dark and unique, and those two albums mirror each other in a way. EMDM was on it's own thing. But the slant themes of BV and THEOL were really relevant to the albums they pertained to. The film-noir theme of THEOL, the Greek themes and such. The website for THEOL era in 2009 was awesome too, it had a slight different aesthetic to it, compared to the album art and such. I feel it (MM.com) was a expanded form of the 2005-2006 MM Celebritarian site. My Avatar and Sig comes from the era/ site, obviously. Everything album THEOL era was cool, except for (Most) of it's tour. The Imagery of the Era for BV was great, Tour was good, and half of the album was pretty good.
    Theol and BV were flea markets versions of previous albums. You're reaching pretty far using some pretty desparete and shady reasons to defend these shit piles.

EMDM is a fantastically underrated album which represents a bold and interesting new sound for the band ("band") at the time.

THEoLOL is what amounts to a collection of unused tracks that didn't make it onto other albums and a handful of shitty after thoughts, produced under the gun to fulfill a contract obligation. It's such an inconsistent mix, IMO opinion. a very few songs, like Devour and Blank and White, represent the band at it's full potential but there are too many cringe inducing moments that signify the first tangible drop in quality and effort bordering on outright embarrassment for me to really get behind.

On the one hand, there are NO artists who have a decade spanning career let alone any career who do not have one or two misses, let alone, any single album on the level of some of Manson's discography. Yet, on the other hand, I'd admit to listening to a lot of bands including much shittier ones before wanting to admit even to the existence of Unkillable Monster or Leave a Scar or IWTKYLTDITM or to the "you have got to be kidding me" video for RTTEotW, or almost all of the photo shoots, interviews and promotion for the album, or... well let's just say anything everything other than a small handful or great to otherwise decent songs from the album which had probably been sitting around in some form from better days.

12. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

^^^ Difference of opinion. Again, I sort of agree with you about BV. I think it could have been better. But THEOL....I feel like that might be the best thing he's done since Holy Wood, including Golden Age and Pale Emperor. To be fair though, Golden Age had MUCH better live shows and had a REALLY fucking cool concept. Still, songs like Devour, Pretty as an S, Blank and White, Armageddon, We're From America, I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies, Into The Fire, 15, ..... This album is fucking phenomenal to me.

Surprisingly, one of the only tracks on THEOL that I'm not too fond of is "Four Rusted Horses". I can't for the life of me understand why that seems to be a fan favorite from that album. I feel like it's a pretty boring song and would have been a b-side on Holy Wood. Cool chorus, but other than that, it's meh. I don't know what I dislike more, that or WOW. At least WOW is interesting though, even though it's goofy as fuck.

THEOL is not a perfect album, you could say. But the songs I mentioned above alone make it absolutely beautiful and amazing all by themselves.

Oh, one more thing: the other thing I never understand about THEOL is why people feel like it's similar or connected in some way to Born Villain. Now, without getting into a semantics argument, ALL of the albums are intrinsically connected....if for no other reason than they were all written by at least one of the same people. We don't need to explore this any deeper. I just want to say that I will argue to my dying breathe that THEOL is the SEQUEL to EMDM, I feel that strongly about it. I don't need to illustrate all the reasons why I feel this way....they should be perfectly obvious. But it's just so weird to me that fans.... Hell, even TJ (The Amazing Atheist) sort of connects THEOL, BV, and TPE as a trilogy.....how the FUCK do you get that? I could see in some loose way BV might possibly be connected as a trilogy, but even that is a stretch, but what I am damn sure of is that EMDM and THEOL are connected so deeply, they should almost be listened to together.

EMDM was the vampire seduction album....THEOL was the werewolf destruction album....and BV was the zombie/resurrection album. Manson finding himself again AFTER the Evan Rachel Wood drama. So, if you want to view BV as the less related sequel to THEOL, then fine. But never forget that THEOL and EMDM are connected very deeply. Hell, it's the same damn theme and person the songs are written about...it's just the next step in the relationship....it's the aftermath of EMDM. EMDM was about loss (Dita) but finding a new young muse (Evan) and it's very much an infatuation album. It's the kind of album you make when you are head over heels in euphoric bliss with someone...it's the very FIRST stage of the relationship.....after those lovey dovey feelings wear off, sometimes it's no longer all rainbows and roses....and the sad and lonely darkness and hate and destruction begin (that's the connection of THEOL with Antichrist). So, yeah, I'll even give ya BV might in some strange way be the end to a second Triptych. Possibly.

And, naturally, The Pale Emperor is the next logical step....feeling comfortable in your own shoes again, regaining your confidence, etc... I'll be very interested in what SAY10 sounds like and lyrically. Let's hope it's Manson back in his A game, setting aside the bs, and ready to bring all hell with him.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I was kinda eh on EMDM back in the day, but over the years it has truly grown on me. It felt exactly what it was meant to be, the Lovecraftian, bluesy horror sound. I definitely think "If I Was Your Vampire" is one of the finest songs in Manson's catalog musically wise, and so is the title track, "Eat Me, Drink Me". I've always been a fan of Skold's style anyways, but I think he really nailed it there especially.

It was also the last time an era actually felt like it had a concrete idea that Manson followed through with. With the imagery, lyrics, live performances, music and etc.

As much as I like TPE, there's not really much of an "idea" there. At least if there is, I can't see it. It's just a collection of songs I find to be great, with purposefully minimalstic videos and imagery. It worked for that album, but I hope whenever SAY10 comes around we see a hearkening back to the pre-THEOL style. If he is to be believed, this album will be politically driven, so we can hope.

But, yeah, a few years ago I finally "felt" EMDM and it just clicked for me. Ever since it's been one of my favorite Manson albums and it's regularly on repeat.

It sucks he totally downplays that album just because he and Skold are no longer friends it appears. It was a very intimate recording process, like TPE, and I feel that it produced two great albums as a result.

Though I think him dumping Skold was a really dumb move. By far my favorite live Manson guitarist..though that may be controversial. As good as John 5 was, he was "too perfect" if that makes sense. Skold would change up songs and play them differently, and I thought that was cool.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on it.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

I have the tendency to give Eat Me, Drink Me more listens than I do for The High End of Low. The High End of Low does hold somewhat of a special connection because it was the first Manson release where I was around for the hype. And boy was it exciting. I remember being on several message boards, one in particular, but I don't remember the name of it now. We were all waiting for the leaks. Rumors swirling around that this song was going to leak soon etc. I remember being excited for Devour in particular. The way Rudy Coby had described the backstory behind it in an interview had me pulled in. And, at the time, it didn't disappoint. I remember the day when We're From America was offered as a free download. The song still kicks ass and played a great show opener for the tour. This is not an album that I've listened to all the way through in a long while. I'll pick a few select tracks out to listen to every now and again.

The tracks I tend to pick out are Four Rusted Horses, Blank and White, Running to the Edge of the World, We're From America, I Want to Kill You Like They Do In the Movies and I Have to Look Up Just to See Hell. I remember digging the entire album when it came out, but it doesn't seem to have stood the test of time for me.

The tour didn't seem all that great either. The best shows seemed to have taken place in Europe, and Japan (like the show at The Zepp in Tokyo.) And his was the tour when we saw Manson's use of drugs begin to interfere with the show.

Eat Me, Drink Me, to me, is a much more interesting record. I haven't listened to it all the way through in a while either, but I do frequent each song pretty well. Particular favorites are The Red Carpet Grave, They Said That Hell's Not Hot, Evidence, Are You the Rabbit?, You and Me and the Devil Makes 3, and Eat Me, Drink Me. The lyrics on the record are more impressive, particularly on Are You the Rabbit?. I love the concept on that song. And it's nice we got to hear Manson sing on Just A Car Crash Away. It truly is a heartbreaking song that was also well executed live. You and Me and the Devil Makes 3 offers an awesome beat with somewhat fun lyrics. Fun, in the Manson sense that is. The title track of the record is one of Manson's best closers to a record. It's just so creepy and the instrumental fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipp Six View Post
    It sucks he totally downplays that album just because he and Skold are no longer friends it appears. It was a very intimate recording process, like TPE, and I feel that it produced two great albums as a result.
    I don't think the reason why he doesn't play anything from Eat Me, Drink Me or The High End of Low is because him and Skold are no longer friends. I think it might be because both of the records were made when he was in a very dark time in his life, and he may not want to revisit that. I want to say he even said that in an interview somewhere. Can't recall where though.
    Last edited by cataract777; 01-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post