Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson & Christian conservatives

I've whited out my name. Halo Infinity's Avatar

Default Marilyn Manson & Christian conservatives

I have thought about this for almost as much as I thought about Nine Inch Nails and Christian conservatives, but it was far simpler since with Marilyn Manson, you already see it on his album covers and album titles, especially as far as Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood go.

This has also always fascinated me for quite some time because I have been around Christian conservatives my entire life. Most of them are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and the Roman Catholic Church and are very much socially and politically conservatives. There were more Democrats than Republicans though, but still very much right-leaning. If they had any other ideologies attached to them, they were most likely traditionalists and libertarians as well, while being very active and involved evangelicals in their organized religions. If any of them tried listening to MM, they just found the topics to be offensive or just disturbing. A lot of them couldn't even get past his appearance.

I was also very taken aback when I first took the time to listen to Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood for the very first time considering where my religious faith and convictions were at the time, as somebody that have Christianity, specifically Adventism, being having a tremendous impact/history in my life.

Just about every Marilyn Manson fan I've met, whether on the Internet or in real life usually turned out to be atheist and liberal though. I could obviously see why too, but it is always interesting to see contradictory and opposing views mix.

As for what I've seen as far as Christian conservative reactions to Marilyn Manson, it's pretty much anything you've already seen and heard on Dead to the World video, as far as blasphemy, sacrilege, offense and profanity.

This thread is also for those that happen to be Christian conservative Marilyn Manson fans too. (As obviously unlikely as that would be in most cases.)

So well, what were your experiences with Christian conservatives as a MM fan? How did they react to MM? Was it also like Dead to the World all over again?

Assuming that any actual Christian conservative Mansonites are actually reading this for whatever random one in a million coincidence, what do you like about Marilyn Manson? How and when did you become a fan?
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-04-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I have thought about this for almost as much as I thought about Nine Inch Nails and Christian conservatives, but it was far simpler since with Marilyn Manson, you already see it on his album covers and album titles, especially as far as Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood go.

This has also always fascinated me for quite some time because I have been around Christian conservatives my entire life. Most of them are members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church and the Roman Catholic Church and are very much socially and politically conservatives. There were more Democrats than Republicans though, but still very much right-leaning. If they had any other ideologies attached to them, they were most likely traditionalists and libertarians as well, while being very active and involved evangelicals in their organized religions. If any of them tried listening to MM, they just found the topics to be offensive or just disturbing. A lot of them couldn't even get past his appearance.

I was also very taken aback when I first took the time to listen to Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood for the very first time considering where my religious faith and convictions were at the time, as somebody that have Christianity, specifically Adventism, being having a tremendous impact/history in my life.

Just about every Marilyn Manson fan I've met, whether on the Internet or in real life usually turned out to be atheist and liberal though. I could obviously see why too, but it is always interesting to see contradictory and opposing views mix.

As for what I've seen as far as Christian conservative reactions to Marilyn Manson, it's pretty much anything you've already seen and heard on Dead to the World video, as far as blasphemy, sacrilege, offense and profanity.

This thread is also for those that happen to be Christian conservative Marilyn Manson fans too. (As obviously unlikely as that would be in most cases.)

So well, what were your experiences with Christian conservatives as a MM fan? How did they react to MM? Was it also like Dead to the World all over again?

Assuming that any actual Christian conservative Mansonites are actually reading this for whatever random one in a million coincidence, what do you like about Marilyn Manson? How and when did you become a fan?
    I never met any christian conservative Manson fan, however I met a black metal fan who was also a rather devoted Roman Catholic. When I asked her about the obvious hypocrisy of believing in god, going to church, praying etc. and at the same time listening to bands known for extremely anti-christian lyrics, she explained that for her it's just the best music imaginable and she thinks of the ideology the bands represent as theater, nothing real or threatening. An interesting approach.

3. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Original AIDS provider.

I've always said that you don't have to agree with a person's message to appreciate their art. My best example of this that I always fall back on is the band The Agonist, when they still had their first singer who was a very aggressive vegan and animal rights activist. They took it to the point that it became quite a negative feature of the band for me as during interviews and social media posts, she would often (intentionally or not) come across as being derogatory and insulting to non-vegans. As a result, I ended up taking quite a disliking to the personal image she presented. However, I still thought the band's music and her lyrics were amazing as pieces of art, because those exact same convictions in her put a lot of passion in to what she was singing.

Building upon what you said TMC, a Catholic black metal fan might seem contradictory, but black metal has some amazing atmosphere and, at times, a certain sense of spirituality to it that can reach out to people regardless of their religious views. That even goes for those bands singing in Scandinavian languages that most of us can't even understand a word coming out of their mouths.

So in response to you Kris, I'd just say that while obviously you're not going to see any members of the WBC rocking out to Antichrist Superstar, there probably are more people than you might realize who are also not die-hard atheists just because they listen to Manson. Bearing in mind that Manson is not particularly against the existence of God, but more against organized religion and the church, there's no reason there couldn't be quite a few of the more 'free-thinking' Christians sharing the room with you at a Manson gig. Especially as there's been quite a trend of Christian rock and metal bands in recent years.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

5. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

I've never met any Christians who listen to Manson or would consider themselves Mansonites. The closest thing I could think of is maybe my mom but she would never listen to him on her own terms. She does enjoy a few songs from him though, namely The Dope Show and Third Day. However, I hate to reiterate what's already been said but yeah I agree you don't have to stand by an artists words to appreciate the material. Although at the same token Manson only asks the listener questions he never forces your belief to change. The greatest thing about Manson is he asks you all these questions about organized religion or our political system etc etc and he lets you come to your own conclusion based on what you just heard and saw.

He himself never pushes an agenda he uses his art and his voice to question everything we grew up with that was pounded into our heads as facts. People who take him at face value just see the abrasive qualities without seeing the bigger picture. That is when you know the questions go right over their head. Good example would be him ripping up the Bible during Dead To The World. The basic question is, why do we revere something so obviously manufactured? Hence he shows how easy it is to destroy this "Sacred" book. There other things as well within his music videos, obviously the lyrics as well. Another good example is him burning the flag or even wiping his ass with it. Again, people who take it at face value just see someone being edgy for the sake seeming "cool" but again he is asking some very good questions that all Americans should ask themselves at some point in their life.
    Last edited by FuckmanQ; 02-06-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

7. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Building upon what you said TMC, a Catholic black metal fan might seem contradictory, but black metal has some amazing atmosphere and, at times, a certain sense of spirituality to it that can reach out to people regardless of their religious views. That even goes for those bands singing in Scandinavian languages that most of us can't even understand a word coming out of their mouths.
    I agree that one might admire an artist without agreeing with their ideology or beliefs. One personal example that I can think of is Picasso who despite being a communist/Stalinist is one of my favorite visual artists.
    On the other hand Picasso's work is not obviously connected to his political beliefs. When it comes to Christians listening to black metal, there seems to be a much bigger dissonance there. It's not just neutral music created by someone who happens to have anti-christian views but rather a genre focused on the obvious and often aggressive anti-christian message.

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add ContactingTheDead on Facebook Visit ContactingTheDead's Youtube Channel

I logged in for the first time in almost 2 years, just to answer this question.

I would consider myself extremely conservative. How conservative you may ask? I'm a libertarian, voted for Trump, against abortion, think marriage should be between a man and a woman, and put God first.

So why has someone like me seen Marilyn Manson 7 times, traveled out of state to see him, paid to meet him twice, and collected hundreds of pieces of memorabilia?

Let me try to explain...
    I grew up in a southern Baptist church and was there for 18 years. I would go to church, because I truly wanted to study the scripture and form a stronger relationship with God.

I found that I didn't relate to any of the other high school students in the youth ministry. Instead of wanting to read the Bible, they wanted to talk about senseless things, drink soda, eat snacks, flirt, laugh, etc.
    I started to become aware that these 50 or so kids didn't take God or the Bible seriously and they just used church as a hang out spot.

The first song I came across of Marilyn Manson's was, "The Nobodies". It was like nothing I had heard before, and it truly struck a nerve with me. I cried, I got goosebumps and most importantly...I was addicted.

I thought, "FINALLY! Someone who gets me!" I felt like an outcast in church for actually wanting to follow the Bible and this band understands what it's like to be a "nobody".

I didn't know what the band looked like, until I had been listening to that song for awhile. It scared me at first... But I kept listening to it.

I was in Bestbuy one day and saw that they had GAOG, and Mechanical Animals. I purchased them and fell in love with most of the songs. Eventually, I purchased all of his albums and became a huge fan.

So how do I keep God first and still listen and respect Manson? Easy...

I skip certain songs that use the only curse word I have a problem with, since it uses my Creator's name in vain, "Arma...Geddon", "Lunchbox", "Lay down your arms", etc. You get the idea...

As an actual follower of the Bible, (which most Christians don't do), I strive to be as Christ like as possible. I am not here to judge Manson or anyone for that matter. I will leave that up to God and him. I am here to try and understand where everyone is coming from and respect and love one another, even if I don't support everything one does.

We are told in the bible to take the plank out of our own eyes, before trying to take the splinter out of someone else's eye. I am not sin free (and no one is), so I am not going to stand on the opposite side of the street and yell to Manson fans that they are all going to hell and judge them. Why not? Because I know there are Christians who go to his shows, but usually are too afraid to say anything to other Manson fans. I've always been very public about my relationship with God to other Manson fans, and while I may not agree with their lifestyle choices, they are some of the nicest people I've ever met on a stranger-to-stranger basis.

I find it hard to try and be close friends with other Manson fans, only because we are usually so different on every subject.

Many of Manson's fans don't realize how much he is portraying Christ in photos, on stage, in videos, etc, because almost all of them are atheist's who haven't read the Bible. I've asked Manson about some of these things and he has said I am spot on. He actually respects that I am a Christian with a backbone that can stand in the face of someone who is totally opposite of my views and have a normal conversation and not yell or judge, but try to understand them.

Some of the ways he is portraying Christ in his art is:
    -Fire makeup above his eyes during the GGG tour.
    This look is based on the book of revelation that says, "Fire in His eyes", when referencing the second coming of Christ.
    -Knife on microphone
    This is from Revelation as well, where it mentions Him pulling a sword from his throat.
    -Music video where he is in all white with white hair on a cross. (I forget the name, it is late)
    This is a reference to the rider on the white horse in Revelation, which many believe is Christ. It mentions white robes and white hair.
    -The lyrics, "When you get to heaven, you're gonna wish you're in hell"
    This is a reference that if we are living in the end days, that Manson's fans would reject the first man to appear on the scene saying he was God and looked like Jesus. 2nd Thessalonians 2 says that the AntiChrist will come first saying he is God, deceiving everyone. Manson's fans would run to the second man, who the media would portray as the Devil. Fire in His eyes, tattoo on his leg, killing people, etc.
    Therefore, Manson's fans would avoid hell and follow the true Christ into heaven.

There's more but it is late and I'm not sure if most of his fans are interested in hearing a hard core Bible believer's thoughts on Manson's looks and lyrics and their connections to scripture.

I won't be buying the new album, if it is actually called, "Say10". I know I will have to answer to it one day if I did. I also will skip this upcoming tour, if it is called that.

All the best,
    God Bless

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

[QUOTE=ContactingTheDead;211244]I logged in for the first time in almost 2 years, just to answer this question.

I would consider myself extremely conservative. How conservative you may ask? I'm a libertarian, voted for Trump, against abortion, think marriage should be between a man and a woman, and put God first.

So why has someone like me seen Marilyn Manson 7 times, traveled out of state to see him, paid to meet him twice, and collected hundreds of pieces of memorabilia?

Let me try to explain...
    I grew up in a southern Baptist church and was there for 18 years. I would go to church, because I truly wanted to study the scripture and form a stronger relationship with God.

I found that I didn't relate to any of the other high school students in the youth ministry. Instead of wanting to read the Bible, they wanted to talk about senseless things, drink soda, eat snacks, flirt, laugh, etc.
    I started to become aware that these 50 or so kids didn't take God or the Bible seriously and they just used church as a hang out spot.

The first song I came across of Marilyn Manson's was, "The Nobodies". It was like nothing I had heard before, and it truly struck a nerve with me. I cried, I got goosebumps and most importantly...I was addicted.

I thought, "FINALLY! Someone who gets me!" I felt like an outcast in church for actually wanting to follow the Bible and this band understands what it's like to be a "nobody".

I didn't know what the band looked like, until I had been listening to that song for awhile. It scared me at first... But I kept listening to it.

I was in Bestbuy one day and saw that they had GAOG, and Mechanical Animals. I purchased them and fell in love with most of the songs. Eventually, I purchased all of his albums and became a huge fan.

So how do I keep God first and still listen and respect Manson? Easy...

I skip certain songs that use the only curse word I have a problem with, since it uses my Creator's name in vain, "Arma...Geddon", "Lunchbox", "Lay down your arms", etc. You get the idea...

As an actual follower of the Bible, (which most Christians don't do), I strive to be as Christ like as possible. I am not here to judge Manson or anyone for that matter. I will leave that up to God and him. I am here to try and understand where everyone is coming from and respect and love one another, even if I don't support everything one does.

We are told in the bible to take the plank out of our own eyes, before trying to take the splinter out of someone else's eye. I am not sin free (and no one is), so I am not going to stand on the opposite side of the street and yell to Manson fans that they are all going to hell and judge them. Why not? Because I know there are Christians who go to his shows, but usually are too afraid to say anything to other Manson fans. I've always been very public about my relationship with God to other Manson fans, and while I may not agree with their lifestyle choices, they are some of the nicest people I've ever met on a stranger-to-stranger basis.

I find it hard to try and be close friends with other Manson fans, only because we are usually so different on every subject.

Many of Manson's fans don't realize how much he is portraying Christ in photos, on stage, in videos, etc, because almost all of them are atheist's who haven't read the Bible. I've asked Manson about some of these things and he has said I am spot on. He actually respects that I am a Christian with a backbone that can stand in the face of someone who is totally opposite of my views and have a normal conversation and not yell or judge, but try to understand them.

Some of the ways he is portraying Christ in his art is:
    -Fire makeup above his eyes during the GGG tour.
    This look is based on the book of revelation that says, "Fire in His eyes", when referencing the second coming of Christ.
    -Knife on microphone
    This is from Revelation as well, where it mentions Him pulling a sword from his throat.
    -Music video where he is in all white with white hair on a cross. (I forget the name, it is late)
    This is a reference to the rider on the white horse in Revelation, which many believe is Christ. It mentions white robes and white hair.
    -The lyrics, "When you get to heaven, you're gonna wish you're in hell"
    This is a reference that if we are living in the end days, that Manson's fans would reject the first man to appear on the scene saying he was God and looked like Jesus. 2nd Thessalonians 2 says that the AntiChrist will come first saying he is God, deceiving everyone. Manson's fans would run to the second man, who the media would portray as the Devil. Fire in His eyes, tattoo on his leg, killing people, etc.
    Therefore, Manson's fans would avoid hell and follow the true Christ into heaven.

There's more but it is late and I'm not sure if most of his fans are interested in hearing a hard core Bible believer's thoughts on Manson's looks and lyrics and their connections to scripture.

I won't be buying the new album, if it is actually called, "Say10". I know I will have to answer to it one day if I did. I also will skip this upcoming tour, if it is called that.

All the best,
    God Bless[/QUOTE

Is the title SAY10 that much worse than Antichrist Superstar?

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ContactingTheDead View Post
    think marriage should be between a man and a woman, and put God first.
    Well you can well and truly go suck a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansoniser View Post
    Well you can well and truly go suck a dick.
    #1 This isn't a debate forum, no one cares that you disagree with him and #2 Even if it was it's not hard to disagree with someone while being civil. You look like an asshole.

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MarilynRezner15 View Post
    #1 This isn't a debate forum, no one cares that you disagree with him and #2 Even if it was it's not hard to disagree with someone while being civil. You look like an asshole.
    Thank you dear.