Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson & Christian conservatives

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

This guy has some good commentary on evil and rich people. Also Manson.

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Add ContactingTheDead on Facebook Visit ContactingTheDead's Youtube Channel

I enjoyed the clip, thanks for sharing.

I know too much about the spirit world to say that God isn't real...

This guy is off on a few things, but right about most of it.

"You say God, I say Satan" is a lot worse that anything AntiChrist superstar had.

Antichrist superstar was an attack on Christianity. Which I can support, because of my experiences with churches and being about the money and brainwashing, more than the actual Bible. Even Jesus was against Religion.

Say10 is an attack on God and Manson is making it clear who he is worshipping. When do people ever "Say God"? The only time is when we pray. "Dear God..." He is referencing that when he prays, he says, "Dear Satan".

It's easy once you know the truth about how each side works spiritually.

This is 100% why I stopped coming to this forum.

Like it or not, here's the truth:
    It's mostly full of ignorant, close-minded people who follow a man like a cult leader...

I never once bashed anyone, and I opened myself up sincerely, to answer a question that very few people here could. I was the only one who had the guts to do so, and I knew what the replies would be.

Nothing more than hatred. How sad of a life is that? They can't see that others can think differently than them and life can go on and they could even have an adult conversation with the person.

I can 100% guarantee you that Manson respects someone like me, more than someone like him. I can have opposing views and can have a normal conversation with him. These people are the type of, "OMG Manson! Like, you have no clue how much your music means to me! Please sign my arm and I'll be a good cult member and go get it tattooed."

And they think they know what Manson really speaks about.....sad.

"We sell our shadow, to those who stand in it..."

I've been biting my tongue because I too respect the balls it takes to be THAT GUY wading into what's obviously NOT going to end well simply because SOMEONE has to be the one to say something, damnit.

So I don't want to be the asshole who castigates a well-meaning contributor who's somehow managed to overcome a Southern Babtist upbringing to the point that they're also now an enthusiastic and well-traveled Manson fan. Good for you! Therefore, I'll mostly just say HOWDY! and stay out of it.

But can we at least collectively acknowledge that it's SUPREMELY ironic to claim to know The Truth straight from the lips of God Himself and to condemn entire lifestyles while simultaneously accusing people who rebel against oppression of being "ignorant, close-minded people who follow a man like a cult leader"...? At the very least it's certainly contradictory and rude beyond belief, if you'll pardon the pun.

As harsh as it may sound, I think that's still a reasonable enough point to make without getting too personal.

Speaking of which, this thread in general has already gotten PLENTY of non-hostile, even friendly replies. As did your OWN posts...more than expected, frankly, considering some of the points you stated as bald-faced, objective FACT. Despite what you may have heard, you can't just waltz into the lion's den and NOT expect a few snarls and nibbles.

But cutting yourself off from a forum of discussion because people people who disagreed with you can't accept opposing viewpoints isn't exactly enlightened or even coherent thinking. It's certainly not OPEN-MINDED, at the very least, which seemed to be the high-ground you were staking out for yourself.

If you're listening to Manson anyway despite all that I'd say you're on the right path to some kind of balance and valid perspective, fwiw. And it sure as hell sounds like it's been a long, hard road, so in a way it makes sense that you'd find yourself here. Marilyn Manson himself inherently plays both sides of the same coin and he's certainly no stranger to Christ or Jesus or embracing either in his own way as comfortably as he does their opposition. So, again, GOOD FOR YOU for making it this far already!

But I guess what I'm really trying to say is...

Y'ALL
    MOTHERFUCKERS NEED

Last edited by Hazekiah; 02-17-2017 at 01:08 AM.

4. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post

I can't say I have ever blindly followed anyone, whether they be Christ, Marilyn Manson or Christ through Manson. I have no interest in it. Never have and never will. Nor do I particularly have any interest in forming close friendships with individuals who deny my rights to my body, or the life of many of my friends. Very few I know have manage to transcend those beliefs into being a decent human, and I usually don't care to wait to find out.

BUT none of that has anything to do being able to understand why you listen to Manson and are able to repurpose it for your own needs. Because it is what everyone does. It is the whole point. And he is refreshing, he does use imagery of christ, etc. And uses it as social critique on many levels, one of those being potentially christ's own criticisms of society. Which is in a long tradition - Manson portrays himself as artist who changes the world through action, which is an idea originally based in nineteenth century romanticism and understandings of faith, and used continuously within art and theatre. It is what Nietzsche is arguing against. Liking Manson while being a Christian Conservative is akin to how I can make a profession out of discussing virtue ethics based in theology despite being a raging, unapologetic atheist with a fascination in why and how people believe. Indeed, because I am not deeply devout, nor bound down in their assumptions often I have more to say in discussion that is new.

Don't make the mistake though of tarring everyone with your assumptions and disappointment when your reading is not theirs. Because it almost never will be. It shouldn't be. Nor presume that your knowledge of the bible and what not are greater. Sure, some of your interpretations of the semiotics in the Biblical imagery in this post are interesting, especially the stuff from Revelations and the false prophets/christ, and you know clearly know the text well. It would be good to discuss that (I don't want to hear the rest), because exegesis is ALWAYS interesting. As is apocalyptic mysticism. But it is not the only thing to Manson, nor does it deal with the elements you are deliberately choosing to ignore and that interest others.

And.. wtf? You just made the same claim to know Manson better than the rest. As if it either matters or is something you can do. That is not discussion (nor is deliberately ending with 'bless', I mean... what? Here?). If you want to share your knowledge, practice what you ask of others and say it, don't preach it. Engage in discussion. Act like part of a community and be prepared for disagreement. One of my oldest friends is devout Muslim, loves Manson inspite of everything and manages to still have engaged discussion around a whole host of what should be problematic topics. They in fact live for it and are willing to hear other viewpoints even if in the end, we really can never agree. But I respect them because they own it and respect me.

Now I sound like a fucking preacher. O_o
    Last edited by Enname; 02-17-2017 at 05:24 AM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

6. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post

Exactly, you and Haz hit the nail on the head perfectly.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Thanks for the replies and I respect your viewpoints. I've met Haz and he's a cool person in real life. We didn't talk for long, but we didn't argue, we just enjoyed our company together.

Here's my point though, you guys came at me with actual responses with meaning and not just, "suck a ****". What kind of a moronic reply is that? It is surely showing the IQ of the poster, and it's not pretty.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see Manson as a "savior" or some "legend" that I have to worship everything he does.

It may sound strange, but I see myself in him. I see him as a person I relate to. Not just in music, but his upbringing, interests, etc.

-We both went to Christian private school and were bullied, made fun of and always felt on the outside. Shockingly, a lot of kids back then made fun of me for believing in ghosts (and now doing spirit communication), and it reminded me of his angel photo he brought in for show and tell.
    -We both enjoy mythology and religious text.
    -My birthday is one day before his, and is referenced in "15".

I guess the "issue" (if you can call it one), that I have/had with his die-hard fan base, is that there isn't enough diversity.
    A vast majority seem to be "goth", atheist, liberal, pro-abortion, etc.

And when you ask them, "What's your favorite album?" They always say how, "I love them all! But the triptych is amazing!!!" They will try to say that there isn't a bad song and how they love every single thing he does.

I just don't really like that kind of person. I personally don't like those who blindly follow anyone or anything. For me, I have never done that. I went through a lot to get to where I believe and worship the Creator/God. I went from being Southern Baptist, to believing it all might be fake for a little while, to Islam, Buddhism, deep into the occult and now I just worship God. A one on one relationship. I don't follow a man who lies behind a pulpit. I guess that's why I loved how Manson was trying to destroy organized Christianity.

I guess I'm not "star struck", since I've worked on many movie sets with celebrities. They are just people.... I remember the first time I met Manson, that the 5 people in front of me all said stuff along the lines of, "I love you! You're my favorite musician, your music means so much to me!" And he looked bored with each one...

Don't you think he knows you like his music? You are at his concert, you bought a meet and greet, he clearly knows...

I walked up and told him that I realized he has never ripped up a 1611 King James or the Septuagint. He only rips up Gideon bibles, NKJV, NIV, etc.
    He just smiled, because I too can get behind ripping up those new translations that are full of contradictions. They aren't the Bible in my opinion.

I also asked him about the Deep Six video and he told me I was one of the only people to know what he was trying to do, while most people didn't understand it.

I like to decipher his videos, stage design, lyrics, makeup, outfits, etc. and how they all fit into mythology or the Bible.

Maybe I'll do a YouTube video series on the meanings behind most of his stuff one day, I haven't seen anyone do it online before. I know that one website was great on his occult and Masonic stuff, but not the religious side of it all.

Just remember, you can learn something from anyone that thinks different from you, as long as you listen with an open mind and don't just comment back, "suck a ****". I'm nice and respect those who show me the same respect and kindness.

P.S. I've got a lot of full concerts on DVD and VHS that no one has seen before online, and I'd like to share them with everyone and have them preserved on YouTube, so if you can help me with that or tell me how to do it, let me know. It's a lot of shows from 1995-1998.

Also, I no longer have room for these hundreds of Manson items and have some one of a kind items that no one has seen before. I might do a huge lot of it all on eBay, but at a good price, cause I'd like to see everything go to a great home.
    Last edited by ContactingTheDead; 02-17-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ContactingTheDead View Post
    Here's my point though, you guys came at me with actual responses with meaning and not just, "suck a ****". What kind of a moronic reply is that? It is surely showing the IQ of the poster, and it's not pretty.
    You got maybe one or two that were like that, and which were - given some of the random inflammatory things you did put in the post - reasonably understandable. Everyone else has been either respectful, or just their usual selves.

Personally, I have been surprised at just how politely reserved everyone has been.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't see Manson as a "savior" or some "legend" that I have to worship everything he does.

It may sound strange, but I see myself in him. I see him as a person I relate to. Not just in music, but his upbringing, interests, etc.....
    *very big sigh*

You and every fucking person on the board. Like, seriously. At this point it is probably more strange to NOT see yourself in him somehow, to not relate to him. Again, it is the entire point of Manson as a figure, as a musician. The stated intention, it is probably even on a sticker somewhere. And I am glad you do and there is some point of connection that is meaningful. But you are not the only one. So yay, look, connection to other fans!

I don't see any echoes of myself in him - after all I didn't go to Christian private school because we were too butt fuck poor due to my father being a priest. I have fucking lived next to a church for a good half of my life. We used to play pirates on the altar. With a family divided between charismatic ministers, representatives of various churchs and atheists, being bullied at a Christian school was the least of my damned concerns. And not to compete with your own experience, but try being the strange, outsider kid of a priest, who reads a lot, shockingly thinks girls shouldn't get married out of school, across 10 different tiny rural schools in 12 years. Then talk to me about bullying.

Another point remembering - and one more people should - is that not all of his fans are in the USA and that making the rather narrow presumption that we are is problematic, because the discourse around organised religion is very different outside of American where 'kicking against the pricks' is not that necessary, or not in the same way. Hey, guess what, Manson is very American! And that is in some ways the part of his appeal, because you can buy into a package of all American wholesome music and rebellion.

Ironically, to me, you are far closer to the caricature you are railing againt.

I guess the "issue" (if you can call it one), that I have/had with his die-hard fan base, is that there isn't enough diversity.
    A vast majority seem to be "goth", atheist, liberal, pro-abortion, etc.

And when you ask them, "What's your favorite album?" They always say how, "I love them all! But the triptych is amazing!!!" They will try to say that there isn't a bad song and how they love every single thing he does.

I just don't really like that kind of person. I personally don't like those who blindly follow anyone or anything. For me, I have never done that. I went through a lot to get to where I believe and worship the Creator/God. I went from being Southern Baptist, to believing it all might be fake for a little while, to Islam, Buddhism, deep into the occult and now I just worship God. A one on one relationship. I don't follow a man who lies behind a pulpit. I guess that's why I loved how Manson was trying to destroy organized Christianity.
    Well there are a series of contradictory over simplifications that show correlation but are not predicated on each other. There is no simple line between favourite album, musical taste, to political stance, to alignment with youth sub culture. Ridiculous. And categorising an entire fanbase that covers twenty years as one thing is also... well, going to get a poor reaction.

You are not the only one who goes through a lot to get to where they are in terms of belief/unbelief and whatnot. Nor is everyone an atheist (there are entire threads here devoted to people not being atheists), or goth, or liberal (and if I can figure that out after a year on PM, then surely you can), or even pro abortion. Many are some of this because hey - not actually a minority. Welcome to the world.

And again, yes, of course that is the whole point of Manson. Congratulations. We get it. \o/

I guess I'm not "star struck", since I've worked on many movie sets with celebrities. They are just people.... I remember the first time I met Manson, that the 5 people in front of me all said stuff along the lines of, "I love you! You're my favorite musician, your music means so much to me!" And he looked bored with each one... .
    Really, and here I thought they were crystalline creatures made of preserved snow that flitted above us all in delicate gilt cages. How could I be so wrong???

o_O

Have some empathy. People are star struck because it matters to them. And being star struck does not make for coherence. Just because it can seem repetitive and simplistic, that doesn't mean it isn't important to that person. And I dare say he knows this well enough, no matter how boring it is to deal with it day in and day out. Part of the job after all, even if it is eminently mockable.

I walked up and told him that I realized he has never ripped up a 1611 King James or the Septuagint. He only rips up Gideon bibles, NKJV, NIV, etc.
    He just smiled, because I too can get behind ripping up those new translations that are full of contradictions. They aren't the Bible in my opinion.
    Well they are also cheaper and handily not in Greek. And if you want to talk contradictions then the King James (in any version of its translation from 1611 through to 1654, which is the usual printed edition even if it says 1611) is the mother of all of them. As a translation of the Latin Vulgate with little interpolation from Cranmer it compiles and continues all those weirdness of Jerome's work. And having read the Vulgate in Latin and also the Greek that Jerome was translating from - creative license is his middle name. At least some of the NKJV incorporates the Septuagint as well as other transmissions of material.

I also asked him about the Deep Six video and he told me I was one of the only people to know what he was trying to do, while most people didn't understand it.

I like to decipher his videos, stage design, lyrics, makeup, outfits, etc. and how they all fit into mythology or the Bible.
    And your interpretation was? Content, not wibble.

Oh and for someone who seems so happy to run Biblical anagogy and mythology (and you might want to narrow that down) it should be clear that interpretation is precisely that - interpretation. Different people bring different interests and background to textual analysis and there is no right answer. Someone may prefer looking at all those things in terms of media and pop culture, someone else may have a strength in musicological analysis, or technical analysis, or scriptural analysis, or political commentary. Another may want to just make endless puns based on his hair styles. Some like playing 'find the reference', or find the cinemagraphic influence. Others tie it to their hopes, dreams and particular craving for yoghurt covered genitals.

Welcome to the FUN.

11. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

I don't think I'm really getting my point across well, and I truthfully don't care that much, I'm not going to spend a lot of time editing my posts on a band forum (lol). I don't even delete or go back to rephrase, I'm just letting it out...

So bare with me.

I get it, you feel offended.
    You grew up poor, probably not that great of a home life, always moved around, had to give up friends all the time, etc.
    Ended up blaming God for your screwed up life.
    Super liberal.
    Trust me, I get it...

For you to say that your bullying was worse than mine, when I made no mention of how I was bullied, is a pretty jacked up thing to do, and just proves my point of why I mostly hate his fan base. You see, you think I want to be friends with people like that, when in reality, I don't. I'm much better a loner, than with sheep.

-I almost had my heart stop beating after a kid kicked me as hard as he could in the chest, while he was standing on the theatre stage and I was standing on the floor next to it.
    -I had my pants and boxers pulled down in front of hundreds of kids, while some kids recorded it and shared it around.
    -I've had a gun pulled on me, because a thug wanted a dollar.
    -I've had knives pulled on me for wearing a Manson shirt...

I would hardly call fact, "interpretation". If I'm trying to draw an apple and someone says that I'm drawing an apple, that isn't an interpretation, it's a fact. So stop with your liberal politically correct garbage.

The Deep Six video is the Lambton worm...

You stand up for those sheep and won't even admit that a majority of all fan bases are like that... Proving to me that you are one of those types of people.

You try to tell me how his fan base isn't goth, isn't liberal and isn't a majority atheist. Truly freaking funny.

I never said that every single person was, but a majority.

Stop putting words in my mouth or trying to read in between the lines of what I'm trying to say.
    Stop saying I am "just like everyone of his fans", when I clearly am not. I'm not stupid enough to get a man's autograph tattooed or pay for 7 meet and greets in a row like some people have.

It's sickening...

Also, I've been on this forum for a long long time. Around 6 years.

Lurked for a long time and then made an account, ended up losing that password, couldn't get it back, made this account and here we are.

Throughout the years, I've read a majority of the threads and it's one of three things usually:
    1.) "I miss Manson, he isn't on tour, let me share my post concert depression video to help us get through this sad time." (Give me a break, these are laughable and downright sad...)
    2.) Downright hatred for anyone who makes an account and comes in here and tries to shake things up. Mocking them and making them leave.
    (Y'all do realize it's only like a few dozen of y'all left? Lol. You made a majority of people leave. You can see that I'm right, by looking at the website traffic stats.)
    3.) Circle jerking over how cool these pictures/videos of Manson are.

I find every bands fans pretty cringy... I just don't fit in with people like that.

People literally try to do Manson's makeup, his contact, EVEN COPYING HIS TATTOOS!

That's called not having a backbone for yourself and just being a follower.

Quote Originally Posted by ContactingTheDead View Post
    I get it, you feel offended.
    You grew up poor, probably not that great of a home life, always moved around, had to give up friends all the time, etc.
    Ended up blaming God for your screwed up life.
    Super liberal.
    Trust me, I get it...

LOL

Actually, not remotely offended. Mostly amused because I thought as stated you wanted a civil conversation. My bad. I shall cease replying after this.

And I would first have to believe in God to blame one. Given I don't, I have no interest in blaming anybody. Still quite attached to all involved.

The point was that not everyone has to identify personally with Manson to be a fan, but many do.

For you to say that your bullying was worse than mine, when I made no mention of how I was bullied
    I didn't say that. In fact I said 'not to compare.' The implication being not comparing.

I am however sorry that you were bullied badly.

I would hardly call fact, "interpretation". If I'm trying to draw an apple and someone says that I'm drawing an apple, that isn't an interpretation, it's a fact. So stop with your liberal politically correct garbage.
    Deciphering the Manson is a mode of interpreting (if this is what you were talking about, given I am not sure the placment) - you are translating a cipher. In particular if you are looking at symbols and comparing them to the Bible.

Has nothing to do with liberality, political correctness or anything else. Not unless you are 'reading between the lines' yourself.

The Deep Six video is the Lambton worm...
    Interesting idea and definitely works with the video, although I don't rmember the witch being naked in the original story (a joke).

You stand up for those sheep and won't even admit that a majority of all fan bases are like that... Proving to me that you are one of those types of people.

You try to tell me how his fan base isn't goth, isn't liberal and isn't a majority atheist. Truly freaking funny

(Y'all do realize it's only like a few dozen of y'all left? Lol. You made a majority of people leave. You can see that I'm right, by looking at the website traffic stats.)
    I generally avoid writing people off as sheep and idiots when I don't know them. Find it more than a bit judgemental and uncharitable. And defending those who are overly enthusiastic in their admiration proves no such thing other than I don't like bullies of any stripe and don't see the world in black and white.

And lucky I don't count 'one' online community as the totality of everyone. Phew.

Stop saying I am "just like everyone of his fans", when I clearly am not.
    Wow.

Just let that sit for a moment.

Nope. Still can't get over the breath taking arrogance in that statement.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Look, you seem like a smart guy and I'm sure that in the right setting, we would be more alike than one may seem...

With that being said, I know I am arrogant. I'm not trying to be friends with everyone, because a majority of society is stupid and I can't relate to them.

You can go to group after group of Manson's fans and you will always see people practically worshipping the ground he walks on, copying his tattoos, replying in verses from his songs, copying his makeup, etc.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

I just find it funny when those type of people try to talk together and act like they are soooo different from the world, and how no one gets them.

They are lame as hell, and blind followers like the rest of society, just a different coat of paint.

Manson said to not try and be like him, but be yourself and make a difference.

Instead, his most loyal fan base doesn't even follow his advice.

You've got to see the truth/humor in all of it.

The biggest Marilyn Manson group online is:
    "The Marilyn Manson CULT"

I rest my case. They bluntly tell you they are all cult followers/sheep, right from the get go.

On a lighter note, (since I can tell you are more intelligent than most Manson fans I've encountered in the south), here's some biblical references:

-Disposble Teens
    First shot is the beast of revelation rising from the sea.
    Around 1:05 seconds in, we see people gathered around a table with a man's corpse on it. This is a reference to the supper in Revelation where everyone will feast on the flesh of the kings who went against God.

-I don't like the drugs
    White "Christ" outfit is a reference to the rider on the white horse in revelation.
    The limbs missing in the video is a reference to the Bible saying it would be better to cut off your hand or pluck out your eye, than to burn in the lake of fire.

-No reflection
    The no reflection video is a clear representation that we are in the end days. It is a reference to Matthew 24:38-39
    "38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, 39 and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."

-AntiChrist Superstar: Worm/moth
    This is shown in the tourniquet video, and mentioned in audio throughout the album.
    It's a direct reference to Isaiah 51:8
    "For the moth will eat them up like a garment; the worm will devour them like wool. But my righteousness will last forever, my salvation through all generations."

Literally almost every song, video, and some stage designs and outfit/makeup has something to do with the Bible. A majority of his fans don't know what he is doing and he has even mentioned that fact in interviews before.