Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson is the master of the 'worked shoot'.

Default Marilyn Manson is the master of the 'worked shoot'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_(...#Worked_shoots

Worked-shoot is the term for any occurrence that is scripted by the creative team to come off as unscripted and therefore appear as though it were a real life happening but is, in fact, still part of the show. This can be seen as an example of the writers breaking the fourth wall and attempting to court the fans who are interested in shoots (i.e., events outside of the traditional in-ring wrestling matchups). Notable characteristics of a worked-shoot include the mentioning of terms and information generally known only to industry insiders and "smart" fans. This community of "smart" pro-wrestling fans are sometimes referred to as "smarks".

Historically, it is unclear when the first occurrence of a worked-shoot took place; however, it is generally attributed to the public feud between comedian Andy Kaufman and Jerry "The King" Lawler in 1982.
    This concept extends to far more than professional wrestling - politics has long been the domain of the worked shoot; for example, the pretended antipathy between the CIA and Trump.

With respect to Marilyn Manson, most of us are generally aware of some of the more obvious fibs, or 'Mansonisms', in his long and storied career. The scene in The Long, Hard Road Out Of Hell, for example, in which little Brian Warner found a fetus in a Folger's can was famously lifted from a scene in the film The Reflecting Skin in which the main character - a small boy - finds one in a glass jar. This isn't inside knowledge; pretty much everyone invested enough in the band to post here is aware of this.

But it makes me wonder what other aspects of the Marilyn Manson character are works. For example, do we really believe that the entire divorce saga played out exactly as it did in the proceedings? Obviously it's not any of my business, but being seduced by a then-up-and-coming starlet like Evan Rachel Wood, divorcing his burlesque dancer wife, and writing an album about the experience kept his name in the proverbial papers. I also sometimes wonder if the apparent issues he's had with substance abuse - slurry interviews, forgotten lyrics, etc. - aren't a bit of a worked shoot. It wouldn't be the first time an entertainer worked his real-life substance problems into a performance.

Hall actually was an alcoholic in real life, but most of his drunken appearances on WCW Nitro - this one included - were staged. The incentive? Because a bad, sloppy performance gets more press attention than a good one. That's not to say that Manson didn't/doesn't have a substance abuse issue, but it's very plausible he could exaggerate that aspect of his personality for the sake of attention.

Anything about the less obviously put-on aspects of Manson's career strike you as being maybe a little phony?

2. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post

Wow. I never thought someone else here would notice the similarities to wrestling terms and Manson. Bravo. Manson is also a master at working the marks and getting heel heat :p
    Last edited by Mok; 03-11-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

Manson exaggerating how fucked up he is in order to come off as more dangerous is definitely an example of a worked shoot. Hell, he drops pipe bombs in almost every interview.

Recent example: The likely BS about him having a voice that looks like a pentagram when viewed in an audio frequency analyzer in Adobe Audition or Pro Tools or whatever they used. Probably not true (I couldn't replicate it with any samples of his voice that I used) but still amusing.

Old example: Him cutting the daylights out of his chest, but never actually seriously injuring himself, And lines like "I did too much drugs and alcohol."

Nothing against the man for it, he's staying in character. Like pro wrestling, it's performance art. I respect him for his commitment.

So, should Manson go over Reznor at Mania for the SRWC? (Shock Rock World Championship)

Calling bullshit on Marilyn Manson, of all people, for cutting himself, of all things, is probably the stupidest fucking thing I've read all day, lol.

I've been doing a LOT of reading so far.

About TRUMP, ffs.

:-\

My world is unaffected... Unpretty Unsafe's Avatar
    Add Unpretty Unsafe on Facebook

This all makes me think of Goldust in 1998 dressed as Mansondust =P

7. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I think most are just extremely dry jokes of his, in which everyone takes him seriously.

Also, a lot of it is performance art, and part of his Persona. I believe him when his voice made a pentagram, because he was talking about his voice having several different vocal tones at once, so...
    I think a good recent example is him saying SAY10 would come out on V-Day. And I got that when it was first announced.
    Last edited by Nemoris Inferioris; 03-11-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

No, Manson definitely plays a character that he exaggerates for us marks. Lot of wrestler's persona's were extensions of their real life personalities, just amped up a bunch. A good example being Randy Savage. It's why The High End of Low's emphasis on MAN was so important. That album was more personal/human and about Brian Warner, rather than Marilyn Manson.

It's like when he said "I'm going to be the one to bring down Christianity" or something along those lines. He works the people that hate him into hating him more with rhetoric, thus giving him more attention. "Controversy Creates Cash" after all. And it also works the marks who believe everything he says and will continue feeding his brand.
    Last edited by Mok; 03-11-2017 at 11:26 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I mean, he even admitted it on record, so to speak - "Fake abuse for our bios/Blacken our own eyes".

But Manson obviously exaggerates elements of his personality; he doesn't invent them out of thin air. It's why the contention that he's a closet Christian has always been so ridiculous. That wouldn't be a worked shoot, but just a work. And we know enough about his private life to know that he's much closer to the Marilyn Manson persona than, say, Alice Cooper or Rob Zombie are to theirs. It's embellishment, not invention. Had it all been a gimmick, Manson would be fronting reunion shows with Daisy in a Fort Lauderdale bar right now. I'm sure he's antipathetic towards Christianity, but obviously never really believed he'd personally put it out of business.

I still suspect that he may have semi-consciously set in motion the chain of events that led to the divorce from Dita, Eat Me, Drink Me, etc. It's a reinvention, just like professional wrestlers will sometimes take time off to rework their characters. Case in point - The Undertaker, who went from shooting lightning out of his hands and being totally invincible to being a big biker who, while still very tough, was basically mortal. The Undertaker became a slightly exaggerated version of Mark Calloway, just as Marilyn Manson became a slightly exaggerated version of Brian Warner.

Of course, Taker gradually began reincorporating elements of the Deadman gimmick back into the character, until he settled on a hybrid of the two. I think that the same process has been slowly happening with Manson since Born Villain.
    Last edited by The Overman; 03-12-2017 at 12:31 AM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

@Hazey

He cut himself a metric fuckton of times without, as far as anyone can tell, actually giving himself an even half-serious wound. Why? So he would appear to be more fucked up than he actually is. It literally puts the edge in edgy.

Remember when he supposedly cut himself 150-ish times in one day during the HEOL era?

Gotta lay off that Trump-related reading! It can be bad for your mental health.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

He got stitches countless times from cutting himself too deeply in the middle of his concerts.

It was his chest and torso, it's not as if there are a ton of major veins and arteries there to kill yourself with from a quick slash from a broken bottle. But they were still serious injuries in need of medical care. And there's a BIG difference between cutting yourself and trying to kill yourself. It may not have been OMG TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL every time but they weren't always meant to be. That doesn't make them any less authentic.

Same goes for your accusation about his "I did too much drugs and alcohol" comment. The REST of the quote, which you've conveniently omitted, is him finishing his thought by way of explaining that those were the reasons "I have have a hangover." Are you suggesting he DIDN'T have a hangover? Or that if he did then it wasn't from doing "too much drugs and alcohol"...? Was he "trying to sound more edgy and dangerous than he is" or was he maybe just fucking around backstage and telling a buddy with a camcorder why he was genuinely hungover?

These are stupid things to even TRY and call out someone like Marilyn Manson for having "exaggerated."

At the very least, they're extremely poor examples of what you're trying to say.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post