Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The One Thread

Default Star Wars: The One Thread

My idea is for this thread to be the one place for anything Star Wars related be it Movies, Books, Games, and anything else related to the brand. That way we don't clutter this Section of the forum with multiple Star Wars related threads. I will lay out the ground works for what this thread will contain. Hopefully this is okay with the admins and if it is not feel free to close it down but I just think it would be a good idea to have only one place where we can discuss Star Wars. :)

Movies - Your reviews, Trailers, and anything related to any film in the current franchise.
    Books - Your reviews & anything else related to any of the comics or novels that are out.
    Video Games - Your reviews, Favorite games?, and anything else you want to discuss regarding upcoming or currently released games.

I will also be adding my first contribution and hopefully others will feel free to post anything they want as well.

Star Wars: Rebels
    Been finally watching Rebels Season 3 and I will say that if you are fan of the old Timothy Zahn books you will enjoy the hell out of this season. Grand Admiral Thrawn is a complete and utter badass and this season is spectacular so far! Here is a mid season trailer if you feel inclined to watch it.

Star Wars: Tarkin
    I have also recently been reading Star Wars: Tarkin and it is really freaking good. The way Tarkin became who he ends up being is laid out so well in this novel. The relationship between him and Vader is really on point as well. Also, if you're a fan of the old Hammer films you will know that Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee starred in countless films together. I feel that this author was a Hammer fan because he wrote a scene where Tarkin and Dooku meet and talk together. It seriously gave me goosebumps and I wish we could've seen it on the silver screen.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I'm game. I think now Star Wars is current and ongoing again, it would be wise to limit spoilers, but yeah, happy to be part of an all-purpose ...Wars topic.

I'm actually quite anticipating maybe another twenty, thirty years from now when the franchise has potentially developed on-screen way past the core Skywalker/Dark Side centrepoint. I'm sure the extended universe has done loads, but for a relatively casual fan, I'm never going to invest in that full range of media, so to see it in some of the more mainstream films would be great for me, if the quality is there.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    I'm game. I think now Star Wars is current and ongoing again, it would be wise to limit spoilers, but yeah, happy to be part of an all-purpose ...Wars topic.

I'm actually quite anticipating maybe another twenty, thirty years from now when the franchise has potentially developed on-screen way past the core Skywalker/Dark Side centrepoint. I'm sure the extended universe has done loads, but for a relatively casual fan, I'm never going to invest in that full range of media, so to see it in some of the more mainstream films would be great for me, if the quality is there.
    I was hoping Rogue One would be that, and partly it is but it falls apart quite a bit when it comes to character depth. It has some glorious space fights and the scene with Darth Vader is jizz inducing but overall it's a very mediocre film.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

I'm torn when it comes to this line of thinking, because this is Disney, folks, and they will milk a cow until they can't distinguish between milk and blood and the cow has been dead for years.

Disney gives virtually no real genuine respect when it comes to fans or the legacy of their films when all is truly said and done, they just pump money out as long as it keeps coming. I know that most major studios have become like this in the past two decades or so with the nature of the industry changing drastically, and the artists behind these films have pretty much been squashed or leashed in terms of influence in comparison to studio execs, but Disney is still the evilest-est. Like, I would be utterly fucking baffled if Episodes 10, 11, and 12 aren't announced by the end of the decade, knowing Disney.

That being said, I too would like to see the 'universe' of Star Wars expand when it comes to film. There are so many incredible stories to tell. I only hope that this is done with a high level of respect to what has been established by 40 years of hardcore dedication to this universe, and that it doesn't become a cynical yearly money-grab 'because we can and because you'll pay to see it, here's a bit of fan service in the trailer you fucking lemmings.'

By the end of the sequel trilogy, we'll know how Disney plans to handle this.

Star Wars NEWS UPDATE #1 - THE FUTURE OF STAR WARS FILMS

This is some big news and considering a lot of people think or even thought Disney was gonna milk this franchise to the ground until it was dry. You're half right if you still wanna be cynical, but, this new information has me thoroughly impressed with what they're aiming to do. I will have bullet points for each subject that they talk about. All taken from this article.

1. Lucasfilm planned Hiatuses - "It also seems that even though Disney/Lucasfilm doesn’t have an end anywhere in sight for the franchise for some time, they may be planning to ease off on the idea of putting out a Star Wars movie every year in perpetuity"

This is a good decision because by doing this they keep Star Wars from getting stale. After seeing Rogue One I did ask myself "Do we really need one every year" I personally believe that once this sequel trilogy is finished they will take a hiatus and I base it on this further quote.

"Since Star Wars is a generational thing, there will be a gap between the Sequel Trilogy’s end and the new trilogy’s arrival."

If we kept going every year for 50 years straight with no break no one would care as much about Star Wars. Say what you will about Lucas's erratic filming scheduling but that gap inbetween the OT and PT helped the PT. The gap between the PT and now the SQT has helped the SQT so it only makes sense that they'll gap it out a bit. It also gives them more time to map out the universe better. This honestly might be the best way to handle a cinematic universe. People are already getting fed up with Marvel films even when they're good. I'm glad Star Wars won't be heading that way.

2. Interesting Anthology films planned - The two most notable to me are the Obi-Wan movie set inbetween Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars and an untitled Romantic-Tragedy film that is currently being tossed around.

I will start with the Obi-Wan film. "Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of Lucasfilm fully intend to make an Obi-Wan movie set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, with Ewan McGregor in tow."

We all knew Ewan would come back and at this point is pretty close to being the perfect age for this film and since this film would most likely be coming out around 2020 by then he'll be ripe for some Obi action. I'm down for it and I am really excited to see how they handle it. The monster movie fan in me hopes they'll have a scene with him confronting a Krayt Dragon but who knows what'll happen. :P

Now with the Romance movie. "This Star Wars project is going to target the young-adult audience and have slight romantic themes to it. Said story is a tragedy…the “love story” angle has more in common with Han & Leia’s romance in The Empire Strikes Back than anything else. If you remember earlier news, Kathleen Kennedy said that she’s looking for opportunities for women to direct future Star Wars movies, our source seems to think that this may be a big opportunity for a woman to make a directorial debut in the franchise."

This one could really be interesting, and if they handled it perfectly it would definitely be the most original of the anthology films since it wouldn't be tied to any narrative we currently know. I am definitely excited to see this develop further.

3. Boba Fett & The Bounty Hunters - "Rest assured, the Boba Fett movie is not dead. It’s not strictly a Boba Fett movie, but a film about an ensemble of bounty hunters on an adventure."

This is my least favorite idea for a spin off film but I think that a film that focuses not solely on him could be good. Maybe it'll be echoing a rag tag vibe similar to Firefly and I could definitely enjoy it if it had that vibe. Or even to compare it to Django Unchained with Django and Schultz's bounty hunter relationship. It could be interesting but this is and Han Solo are the main ones that scream "CASH GRAB" to me.

Final Thoughts: This could all be bullshit but SWNN has always had valid sources and they don't report just nonsense so I can definitely get behind most of this being pretty factual. We all know an Obi-Wan movie is happening, it just is. We all know that these things make sense on some level and even though these didn't come from Disney or Lucasfilm themselves we can assume that this is something they've been discussing internally. Anyways, I thought it was interesting stuff so I wanted to share it with everyone. Enjoy!

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Admittedly I haven't seen the animated films with his character in, but I don't know how completely sold I am on the Obi Wan idea. I think they'd do it if it served as an excuse to do another Vader scene or two.
    Considering that in Rogue One Vader doesn't necessarily come up against all the main cast members as he more-or-less does in Episodes 4-6, so it would be possible for Obi Wan to feature in a Vader-heavy film where they don't actually meet.

It would be great to see Ewan McGregor get to make the role respectable in his shoes, although numerous cast members were trying their hardest to give the prequels merit, he just wasn't in a good Star Wars movie.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Admittedly I haven't seen the animated films with his character in, but I don't know how completely sold I am on the Obi Wan idea. I think they'd do it if it served as an excuse to do another Vader scene or two.
    Considering that in Rogue One Vader doesn't necessarily come up against all the main cast members as he more-or-less does in Episodes 4-6, so it would be possible for Obi Wan to feature in a Vader-heavy film where they don't actually meet.

It would be great to see Ewan McGregor get to make the role respectable in his shoes, although numerous cast members were trying their hardest to give the prequels merit, he just wasn't in a good Star Wars movie.
    I would definitely recommend watching Rebels at some point. Obi-Wan isn't a focus but his little appearance in Season 3 was stellar. The Clone Wars is a really good show as well and it features Obi-Wan more frequently but you have to be pretty invested in the Prequel era and if the Prequel films never appealed to you it'll be hard to get into the show. There are episode arcs I do recommend checking out regardless of how you may feel about the prequels like the Darth Maul episodes that went into great detail and backstory about Maul in general.

In terms of the Obi-Wan film it'll definitely be the most subdued film they put out considering Obi-Wan didn't fight any big battles while keeping an eye on Luke. However the Obi-Wan comic-book (I know that sounds dumb lol) was really good and it showed how he dealt with being removed from all the turmoil in the galaxy. Showed him trying his best to clean up Mos Eisley and doing his best to combat the scum and villainy. So the film would probably be very character focused and maybe even deal with his psyche a bit. I could see them maybe tapping into more backstory about the force ghosts as well since during this time Obi-Wan really has a lot of time to himself and his research into the force to keep him occupied. I could really see this be an awesome film.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 - Day One Recap

Battlefront 2: It appears to be including every Star Wars era from the Original Trilogy all the way to the Sequel Trilogy. That is quite nice but it's sad it took a sequel to bring back Clone Wars era related stuff when that was the norm in the older Battlefronts but it's nice nonetheless.The trailer for it leaked but I don't wanna post it in case the video gets taken down so if you like Battlefront just look it up on YouTube and you should find it.

40th Anniversary Panel - Really quite spectacular to watch honestly. I totally recommend anyone watching this in their spare time.

To give a slight summary of this panel it starts with Kathleen Kennedy introducing George Lucas on the stage and then it just escalates from there. Some people I'd never think would be at a Celebration show up like Hayden Christensen and Harrison Ford. So it was nice seeing them talk about everything related to Star Wars.

In Memory of Carrie Fisher - Kind of an addendum to the 40 Years Panel it ended with a huge celebration to Carrie Fisher and it was quite heartwarming to see.

After they played that Carrie sizzle reel then John Williams himself played out the event with a huge triumphant orchestra and it was quite spectacular. Similar to the Battlefront 2 trailer this bit is hard to find and I don't wanna post it in case it also gets taken down at a later time.

In Closing - There wasn't a lot revealed but it was a very sweet and nice commemoration of everything Star Wars. I suspect today is when the big reveals will happen and I will update this thread accordingly when the information is released. Anyways cheers! May the force be with you all!
    Last edited by FuckmanQ; 04-14-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Teaser Trailer!

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

"It's time for the Jedi to...end."

NOOOOOOO NOOOOO!

Other than that, I hope it's not one of those Empire Strikes back plot twist. :p