Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The One Thread [MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    OMG, do tell! I'm guessing the original Timothy Zahn, Heir to the Empire trilogy?

Maybe the Dark Empire comics?

Very curious to hear more about which ones it called to mind.
    Honestly, I've no idea, it's been soo long- and the amount of books related to star wars is fucking ridiculous (a million times bigger than Dune; okay, not exactly accurate, but you get the sarcasm)

I just remember reading these books about the force and what it was to be a Jedi - being truly captivated, coupled with the awesome action that is Star Wars-

Anywho, sorry I couldn't answer the question. Believe me, I wish I knew because I'd read them again.
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

SPOILER NUMBER ONE

OMG I FOUND
    REY'S PARENTS

XD XD XD

SPOILER REVIEW:

I’ve seen it twice now and I have to say that no other Star Wars film has been this polarizing for me. What I see online doesn’t help matters much lol seems like we’re all confused, pissed, and offended. When in reality the film is really damn good. I’ve gotten past the fact that my theories and expectations have been thrown in the wind. I’m glad they didn’t do what was “EXPECTED” If they had done what was expected this wouldn’t be STAR WARS and this wouldn’t be NEW. People forget that Empire was the most divisive film for its time. The simple fact that Luke just tosses his fathers Saber at the start of Last Jedi sets the tone and is the polar opposite of what you’d expect after watching Force Awakens. It is symbolically telling us that Star Wars IS DONE lingering in the PAST. It’s time to push FORWARD not retread BACKWARDS. A lot of the controversial decisions boil down to that simple principle. Snokes death, Rey’s Parents being nobody, and then everyone’s plans going to shit. Everyone loses in this film. The two big reveals and shocks of this movie are explained away easily. Do we really need another Emperor? I am more interested in a reversal scenario where the apprentice becomes Master swiftly and chaotically. Did Rey's parents NEED to be someone we know? No, the fact that she is no one puts more power to the Force itself. The ending with the little boy makes more sense when you see this in your head.

Without ripping off Empire Strikes Back they captured the most important aspect of that film and even go further than Empire did IMHO. Sometimes you lose and sometimes you have to admit to yourself something you wish was true isn’t. In that sense Rey has grown up and now looks to the horizon instead of the past. Failure afterall is the biggest lesson anyone can be taught in life and I’m glad the film shows this at almost every opportunity. I currently say it’s my 4th best Star Wars film I’ve ever seen. At one point in my mind (couple days after having seen it ; and just talking about it with friends) it was close to being the worst one I’d seen. I almost bought into the hate online and everywhere because I was shocked and dissatisfied. However, after talking to people about the film I really thought about it more and I realized I was stupid for not sticking to my initial gut of liking the film. It’s a dark film and like I said it’s message is about “Loss” and now I like it even more than I did when I first saw it and eagerly anticipate the third showing.

That is my two cents anyways, I realize this film will be debated upon for years so I can fully understand and respect that some people don't like it. However, I can't hide the fact that I do love this movie.
    Last edited by FuckmanQ; 12-24-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added more stuff.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

Fuck this stupid spoiler nonsense.

Mod-edit the goddamned spoiler tags into my post if ur retarded enough to click on a Star Wars thread without watching the new movie first, ffs.

Anyway, great review!

Fans are just being complete fucking idiots about it and the internet is magnifying the volume of their dissent versus the reality of the situation. It's a great fucking movie and an EXCELLENT Star Wars movie. End of. Good to hear you took it to heart and came around eventually after your initial rejection of it!

Glad to see you caught the bit about looking to the horizon too, btw!

Speaking of which, personally, I'm pretty excited about how quickly Rian bumped up the timetable for the "poetry" of the series. He literally just fucking RIPPED the whole Emperor/Throne Room Showdown shit RIGHT out from under the feet of J.J. for Ep. IX and it's pretty cool to know that we're pretty much in uncharted territory for the next movie.

It's like, HOLY SHIT WE'RE NOT EVEN DONE WITH THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK YET AND WE'RE ALREADY AT THE CLIMAX OF RETURN OF THE JEDI, ffs!

WTF HAPPENS NEXT???

O___O

It really is amazing man. Episode 9 is gonna be crazy with all the stuff they've setup in this film. I can't wait to see Rey build her own saber.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

Hmm. I am not really understanding the hate either. Seems to be some are simply unable to point horizon forward themselves and are a bit caught up in what has been. I rather like the in potentia element of it all.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Yeah, her pack is on upside down; rarely can you reason with a toddler, fyi

best barbie doll yet.
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Eek.

I mean, it looks like a Star Wars film, right? It has some Star Wars people in it... right? Oh check it out, there's the Millennium Falcon again, and Chewbacca's still there. Maybe all the mysteries and bridge-building JJ Abrams set up in The Force Awakens will be explored in this film, a bit like The Empire Strikes Back, right...? There's no way a screenwriter in charge of such a successful, multi-billion-dollar franchise would just think to himself, "actually, what if I awkwardly shove too many characters into a story already bloated beneath the weight of having to unite old with new, whilst also attempting Twitter/Meme status with a series of damp one-liners and forgettable box-ticking scenarios", right?!

The Last Jedi is a plodding, over-long, Disney-infected car-crash of a script that's only improved by some of its acting talent. Few scenes are immune to horrible, distracting CGI, and nearly every new character besides Ren seems like a pastiche of someone we've already seen in the Star Wars universe. Too many alleged 'Heroes' vying for screentime and something to do, and not enough villains with a clear, malevolent purpose.
    Christ, even the prequels had a modus operandi regards the conflict between Jedi hypocrisy and Imperial bureaucracy. I hate those films, but they at least tell a legible story from A-B-C, and try to connect protagonists to their latter trilogy selves.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, watch the trailer and pretend that's the whole film.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Respectfully disagree, but hey that is the beauty of film.