Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: TrumpTrade: no changes from status quo

Default TrumpTrade: no changes from status quo

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...fta-1490842268

WASHINGTON—The Trump administration is signaling to Congress it would seek mostly modest changes to the North American Free Trade Agreement in negotiations with Mexico and Canada, a deal President Donald Trump called “a disaster” during the campaign.

According to an administration draft proposal being circulated in Congress by the U.S. trade representative’s office, the U.S. would keep some of Nafta’s most controversial provisions, including an arbitration panel that lets investors in the three nations circumvent local courts to resolve civil claims. Critics of these panels said they impinge on national sovereignty.

The draft, reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, talks of seeking “to improve procedures to resolve disputes,” rather than eliminating the panels.

The U.S. also wouldn’t use the Nafta negotiations to deal with disputes over foreign-currency policies or to hit numerical targets for bilateral trade deficits, as some trade hawks have been urging.

Mexico’s government had no immediate response to the draft proposal. Private-sector economists largely welcomed it as far less drastic than proposals to undo the trade accord or impose quotas that restrict trade. But they cautioned that it was still early in the process.

“The proposal looks to be very in line with existing U.S. trade laws,” said Luis de la Calle, an economist who was on the original negotiating team for the Mexican government.

Mr. de la Calle said “snap-back” tariffs to safeguard industries already exists in Nafta. He cited a 1996 move by the U.S. to put tariffs on brooms from Mexico, a move that was scrapped later that year after Mexico put retaliatory tariffs on some U.S. products like Tennessee whiskey and North Carolina wood furniture.

The difference, said Mr. de la Calle, is that under the proposed changes, Mexico wouldn’t be able to take the case to international court, but would have to litigate in the U.S.

He added, however, that since Nafta is a reciprocal treaty, U.S. firms would have to litigate in Mexico courts if Mexico imposed safeguards.

Jeffrey Schott, a trade scholar at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, a free-trade think tank, said that the measures reimposing tariffs—called a “snapback” in trade lingo—was also sought by the Clinton administration 24 years ago. It became a side deal to Nafta, but didn’t have much effect, he said.
    Trump is starting to look very much like a... gasp, shock, horror, Establishment Politician.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

Follow crazybitch On Twitter Follow crazybitch on Tumblr Visit crazybitch's Instagram Channel

Oh well. Give it time; I'm sure some progress can be made. I mean Congress just sold out humanity to advertisers. Now broadband companies can sell personal data. Isn't that beyond intrusive? It's beyond unconstitutional. The Donald is complaining about being wiretapped as they install more surveillance drones at the border. Citizens United means that now that the one who wins the election will be the one with the most money basically making the U.S. a dictatorship. They can receive unlimited foreign donations as they run for President. This stuff about Russia is a distraction from the fact the Democrats sort of sold out in this by silencing third parties and criticism. Two candidates got all the prime-time. And then the central intelligence agencies handed over all the data to the white house and now we're in the midst of so much drama. I have no doubt the "President" is burnt out already by the endless attacks from media pundits. It feels like republicans are bullying democrats for dissent against things like stripping away healthcare and slashing the entire government including half the state department. I'm sort of at the point where I'm feeling like maybe it's time to impeach the President because it's gotten worse, not better. The intelligence spies sold out their own people it's a backstabbing jungle.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/22/trump...-the-hype.html

More than 600 employees at a Carrier plant in Indianapolis are bracing for layoffs beginning next month, despite being told by President Trump that nearly all the jobs at the plant had been saved. The deal, announced with great fanfare before Trump took office, was billed not only as a heroic move to keep jobs from going to Mexico but also as a seismic shift in the economic development landscape.

Nearly seven months later the deal has not worked out quite as originally advertised, and the landscape has barely budged.

"The jobs are still leaving," said Robert James, president of United Steelworkers Local 1999. "Nothing has stopped."

In fact, after the layoffs are complete later this year, a few hundred union jobs will remain at the plant. But that is far different from what then-President-elect Trump said just three weeks after the election.

"They're going to have a great Christmas," Trump said to cheering steelworkers and local dignitaries on Dec. 1. The plan to close the plant and lay off 1,400 workers had become a frequent topic in the Trump campaign. He said 1,100 jobs would stay in Indianapolis, thanks to the deal.
    "And by the way, that number is going to go up very substantially as they expand this area," he said. "So the 1,100 is going to be a minimum number."

But as in any deal, there are crucial details in the fine print.

The agreement does guarantee that Carrier, a unit of United Technologies Corp., will continue to employ at least 1,069 people at the Indianapolis plant for 10 years in exchange for up to $7 million in incentives. In addition, the company has promised to invest $16 million in the facility.
    But fewer than 800 of those 1,069 jobs — 730 to be exact — are the manufacturing jobs that were always at the heart of the debate. The rest are engineering and technical jobs that were never scheduled to be cut.

"To me this was just political, to make it a victory within Trump's campaign, in his eyes that he did something great," said T. J. Bray, a 15-year Carrier employee who will keep his job due to seniority. "I'm very grateful that I get to keep my job, and many others, but I'm still disappointed that we're losing a lot."

As for Trump's claim that the $16 million investment in the plant would add jobs, United Technologies CEO Greg Hayes told CNBC in December that the money would go toward more automation in the factory and ultimately would result in fewer jobs. That is not lost on the union.
    Robert James, president of United Steelworkers Local 1999

"I don't see Carrier hiring anytime in the near future," James said.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.