Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson: David Bowie 'Changed My Life Forever'

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Default Marilyn Manson: David Bowie 'Changed My Life Forever'

My first introduction to David Bowie, was watching "Ashes to Ashes" on MTV. I was confused and captivated.
    But it wasn't until my first real stay in Los Angeles, around 1997, that someone told me to take a moment to listen to something other than Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory. So I went for a dizzying car ride through the Hollywood Hills and listened to "Diamond Dogs."
    All of my nostalgia, instantly turned to awe. I was hearing him sing about fiction as a mask to show his naked soul. This changed my life forever.
    Every song of his was a way for me to communicate to others. It was a sedative. An arousal. A love letter I could never have written.
    It has become and remains a soundtrack to a movie he painted with his voice and guitar.
    He sang, "Hope, it's a cheap thing."
    I don't need hope to know that he has found his way to the place that equals his untouchable, chameleon-genius beauty. The black star in space, that only HE belongs.
    This crushing moment of fear and loss can only be treated the way his music has affected everyone who was fortunate enough to hear and love it.
    Let's NEVER let go of what he gave us.
    Marilyn Manson

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rever-20160111

2. Like 20 Member(s) liked this post

Beautifully written. He definitely would have gone far in journalism if he had not chosen to pursue music.

4. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post

An incredibly touching, poignant article. I'm glad Manson had a wider platform to express his views about this on than the hundred forty character limit of Twitter.

This might be kind of ghoulish, but I really hope Manson releases the "Moonage Daydream" cover in tribute.
    Last edited by The Overman; 01-12-2016 at 03:18 AM.

6. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    flyflyflyflyflyflyflyflyf

While I am utterly devastated that David Bowie is dead, reading this made me feel warm inside. It's heartwarming to see one of your favourite artists paying tribute to your other favourite artist. Makes me feel like we are all in the same place emotionally for this moment. Also it was only because of Marilyn Manson and the online community that I came across Bowie's music, as I imagine it must be for many others too. Many thanks to MM and the community for that. Personally, I am NEVER letting go!

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Heather Quick On Twitter Add Heather Quick on Facebook Visit Heather Quick's Instagram Channel

I've never been so devasted with a death of any artist before in my life. I even cried while listened some of his songs.

Bowie was the best artist of all time and I'm more than glad that Manson has him as his major influence and you can see his love for the guy in this article, so beautiful and touching.

10. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Naturally there have been a lot of responses from figures in the music world, and many of them were heartfelt and sincere. I think though, that as Marilyn Manson enthusiasts, we're particularly aware of how prolific a figure Bowie was to Manson, and is undoubtedly to many of us. With that in mind, this was one of the most genuine and moving tributes I have read, and it actually conveys a message worth remembering, rather than just gushing sentiment.

I was expecting him to write something of this nature, but could not have guessed how emotive and beautiful it would be. So thank to Marilyn Manson, as well as of course, David Bowie.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

12. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post

I've been crying almost constantly since the announcement, reading this yesterday pushed it further and took the pieces my heart had broken into and crushed them entirely. For Manson to have met his hero in Bowie I can imagine how awestruck he was, from all accounts Bowie was an amazing man and to have known him, even if it was just for a night must have been, quite literally, out of this world.

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

My friend used to work for The Independent, they're one of the few national newspapers I read on a daily basis, and they have an entire section of the site dedicated to Bowie at present. Ultra-modern terminology like 'Gender-Fluid' is a little lost on me, I rather think putting a name on something restricts it, but that's not really the issue here. The Independent have decided to spearhead a positive memorial article with Manson's eulogy:-

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

I think this was a good statement from an artist who has melded so much of that inspiration into his own work. That and how Mechanical Animals was essentially, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, was his own "Plastic Soul" phase. "Fame"/"I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me).". The parallels between "The Pale Emperor" and The Thin White Duke character that David Bowie was on "Station to Station". There's a whole thread dedicated to David Bowie/Marilyn Manson parallels but I'll name a couple more. When people try to figure out what "15" means, "God is in the Tv"/"Coma White" .... On "Station to Station" there was a song entitled TVC-15, a song in which David Bowie hallucinated that his girlfriend had crawled into a television and then tried to crawl in himself to find her. Interestingly enough, it reached #33 on the UK's Billboard charts. And as he's said the influence that "Diamond Dogs" had on him.....as well as routinely/ritualistically singing "Hello" by Lionel Richie before shows...but anyway. LOL

I never understood why people have extreme emotional reactions to the deaths of strangers, even if they are artists with whom you feel a kinship with. Manson and fans that were around during Bowie's time as the Rock/Glam worlds oddity, and maybe perhaps people who grew up watching "Labyrinth" I can understand. Other than that, no. David Bowie released "Blackstar" to preserve his immortality and to give us a parting gift as well. It was him throwing himself a going away party that none of us really could have predicted, and that is more FUCKING INSPIRATIONAL than it is heart wrenching. Ashes to Ashes, Stardust to Stardust I guess you could say.

But, I guess the only really, truly disheartening statement was when Marilyn Manson declared himself as "The Last Rock Star". Because after he dies, there aren't going to really be any artists to look back on and say how much they caused a cultural shift, changed a genre or had/has the uniqueness of a lot of icons that have either passed on or are still around creating music that are on borrowed time.
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 01-18-2016 at 06:19 AM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

18. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Eat Internet Primadonnas
    Follow Penance Sentence On Twitter Add Penance Sentence on Facebook Follow Penance Sentence on Tumblr Visit Penance Sentence's Youtube Channel Visit Penance Sentence's Instagram Channel

"But, I guess the only really, truly disheartening statement was when Marilyn Manson declared himself as "The Last Rock Star". Because after he dies, there aren't going to really be any artists to look back on and say how much they caused a cultural shift, changed a genre or had/has the uniqueness of a lot of icons that have either passed on or are still around creating music that are on borrowed time."
    Yeah, I think that's because MM crossed every taboo that could be conceivable at a mainstream level. If there is a MM-like figure in the future, then it really IS the end of times at that point.

20. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post