Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think Cradle of Filth's best song is?

Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

I'll name from "different eras"

Funeral In Carpathia

Saffron's Curse

The Death of Love

Blackest Magick in Practice

P.S. Hammer of the Witches is the best album they've had since Midian as far as 100% for 100% consistency too. Hope the follow up is just as great.
    God had sent my calamity into a deep space from which not even in my Dreams, could I ever imagine my escape.

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by spaceSuicide View Post
    P.S. Hammer of the Witches is the best album they've had since Midian as far as 100% for 100% consistency too. Hope the follow up is just as great.
    Agreed. But then the bar wasn't set very high... Both Nymphetamine and Thornography are the nadir of their discography. Goodspeed, Darkly and Manticore were all better, but sounded quite interchangeable soundwise. Except 2 or 3 tracks, I'd have trouble telling which song belongs to which album if put on random.

But Hammer was great. The departure of Paul Allender was needed as it was obvious his songwriting was getting stale by then. And with CoF re-issuing their Total Fucking Darkness demo as well as the release of the majestic original version of Dusk and increase of old tracks in their setlist, I hope the next one captures their glorious past even more.

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Omniscient Iniquitous Dirge Inferno's Avatar

Hammer of the Witches is definitely up there with the Dusk-Midian era, I hope they continue to go down that path. Although Paul Allender wrote a lot of the material for Dusk and Midian he was obviously losing interest in writing that type of music.

I Love the manticore album, but Damnation in my opinion was their peak, and my favorite track is Presents from the poisoned heart (cant remember the correct name LOL)

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Omniscient Iniquitous Dirge Inferno's Avatar

I can see the appeal of Damnation and a Day, I like it, but I wouldn't call it my favourite.

DaaD suffered from over ambition I think. The orchestration and choir were superb as was the concept of the record. However I feel the album is a bit too long with too many filler songs. The impact would have been a lot stronger with a fewer, more developed songs. I think it's a problem they've been having since then, all their recent ones are like 75mins long with about 15 songs. Back in the mid 90, their album had about 8 songs (excluding intro and interludes), and the song were more epic in scope, there was more variation within a song it allowed the composition to breathe and develop.

However, Damnation still features some gems, like The Promise of Fever, An Enemy Led the Tempest and The Smoke of Her Burning.