Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where did Manson's creativity go?

While I agree there's lots of issues these days, if I recall right, TPE's videos were meant to be like that to tie into the minimalistic approach. But, yes, to the mainstream audience they do look lazy and uninspired. As much attention as Deep Six got, the music video wouldn't leave a good lasting impression. To non/casual fans, it's just Manson walking around making faces at the camera with bad CGI. Funnily enough, the worm was apparently, not CGI. Something like that worked for Bowie's Life on Mars? (cause it's obvious he took inspiration from that), but people expect more pizzazz with a hard rock song and Marilyn Manson.

Hell, this was from two albums ago and I think it's one of his best

Also, this was unintentionally the best "video" to come from the TPE era

It captures the mood of the song spectacularly somehow lol

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Heaven's Reflection Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I disagree as well. His videos for TMOLA and the promo video for Third Day... were fantastic. Even his simplistic videos like the Third Day... video are good. They're visually great. A video like No Reflection or Slo-Mo-Tion are great for Separate reasons. As the No Reflection video is very symbolic and very cinematic; and the Slo-Mo-Tion video is a typical music video, but is visually stunning. Lest we forget the the Born Villain short film which is a combination of both. Broken down into chapters. So I don't think he has lost any creativity, he just spends it in other ways.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    I disagree as well.
    Blind man would have seen that coming.

His videos for TMOLA
    It had good ideas, and was overall good, but some of it was really cringey. I really hated how shakey the camera was and there were too many face shots. The best shot is the one in the alleyway.

They're visually great. A video like No Reflection or Slo-Mo-Tion are great for Separate reasons. As the No Reflection video is very symbolic and very cinematic; and the Slo-Mo-Tion video is a typical music video, but is visually stunning.
    NR was quite good, but I think Slo Mo was horrendously bad. The glow paint and weird camera effects were cool though I suppose. I dunno why it has that disturbing content warning, nothing about it is disturbing or thought provoking. I liked the original one he talked about way better. Something to the effect of driving around and shooting people in the head, and it would explode in slow motion. Still, I don't think the song worked as a single at all tbh. The Gardener would have been far more interesting to me anyways. It was way more catchy and "single" sounding if that makes sense.

Lest we forget the the Born Villain short film which is a combination of both. Broken down into chapters. So I don't think he has lost any creativity, he just spends it in other ways.
    I really liked that, but Shia LaBeouf had a lot of say in that and none of that imagery correlated with any of the rest of the album. Unless the singular "No Reason" thing was purposeful for that one song I guess. Really, it's no wonder that friendship didn't last. Both are way too volatile lol
    Last edited by Mok; 05-28-2017 at 02:05 AM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I somewhat agree with the opinion that eras which came after TGAOG were much less visually attractive than their predecessors. There were some terrible photoshoots (EM,DM, BV) and awful music videos (well, almost all of them except for the ones that came out during the BV era) on the way. I wouldn't say that Manson's creativity is gone though.
    He has proven multiple times that he's still capable of writing great lyrics, coming up with some brilliant elements of live performances etc. For me The Pale Emperor was Manson's comeback album and a great proof of his skills, both when it comes to the quality of music and the visuals (especially the photoshoot, the videos were not so good unfortunately).

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Well. Truth be told. In the end....he became them. :/
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add Mephisto on Facebook Visit Mephisto's Instagram Channel

Everyone hating on EMDM era here.I think it had great videos,concept,artwork etc.THEOL too.Everything after that is gonne downhill in my opinion.
    But music is still good.
    Last edited by Mephisto; 05-28-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Chillin' Killin'

12. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Who works on the videos, directing, shooting is significant. I want to see him work with Alan Lasky again. No Reflection and Slo Mo Tion were great. Excited to see what's next with Vlad Vega. TPE videos were ok for Manson but yeah, we know anything is possible with Manson. The mood of TPE doesn't necessarily fit with the videos for it.

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Lord of the Rings>Star Wars

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

He'll be operating on a tiny fraction of the budget these days too, same as most acts, cos vidoes are nowhere near as important as they used to be. I forget exactly who the band were, but I remember someone on a similar level of fame to Manson saying in the mid-90s they were given about 200,000 to shoot promo videos, now the label are like "Do you know anyone with a camcorder who could help out? We'll buy them lunch".
    Last edited by MrPogo; 05-28-2017 at 08:53 AM.

18. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Omniscient Iniquitous Dirge Inferno's Avatar
    Follow Dirge Inferno On Twitter Add Dirge Inferno on Facebook Follow Dirge Inferno on Tumblr Visit Dirge Inferno's Youtube Channel Visit Dirge Inferno's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Zimscum View Post
    Lord of the Rings>Star Wars
    Yes.