Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Live Guitarist?

I know he fucked up live a lot but I still always love Zim Zum. The band sounded so metal with him. Antichrist Superstar has never sounded this heavy and I think his shredding had a lot to do with it.

I also maintain this is the best live performance of The Beautiful People ever.

I know this thread is about live guitarists but since everyone else threw in their take on studio stuff, he made MA a really unique album. The guitar on that album is so layered and insane, I love it. Lots of distortion and other effects and really contributes hard to the alien vibe Manson was going for with that album. Manson and Zim dispute who really did stuff on the album, but I don't believe Twiggy or J5 did most of the guitar on the album because it sounds completely unlike anything the two of them ever did in the band and if you listen to Zim's other stuff like Pop Culture Suicides, sonically it's very similar to MA.

J5 gets love but he never really got to show all his skills, definitely had more props for his live stuff. Felt more like a studio guitarist a lot of times. Which I don't blame him for at all. Weird how Zim and Skold got to do their thing but J5 was in the background a lot. I guess cause before he left, the band was more a collab between Twiggy and Manson, and then Skold came in.

Tyler Bates is probably my second favorite, I think he's the contributor who best fits Manson's love of film out of everyone who has been in the band over the years. TPE sounds like a soundtrack to a movie, it's so cinematic. I think the only other album that really came close was EMDM just due to how personal it was. THEOL is way too chaotic and a mess (in a good way) to hit that same note.

Also, that 07 Dope Show performance with Skold - I love how he does the guitar solo, that never really seem to get performed live and it's like my favorite part of the song.

Undeniably, 5 is a talent. He is one of the best guitarists this band has ever seen, but Skold is superb live and stands out.

I know, right? That one album of RIFF RIFF RIFF RIFF RIFF RIFF RIFF RIFF. He was indeed the best guitarist the band has ever had. :eyeroll:

Add Para-Noir on Facebook Visit Para-Noir's Instagram Channel

Didnt Skold fuck up a lot of the times at the start of the EMDM tour? I vaguely remember he wasnt able to pull off the solo for Putting Holes in Happiness for example, but I cant find any footage of it

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Besides the obvious answer of John 5, Rob was one of my absolute favourites. I would've loved to have seen him enter the studio with the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Para-Noir View Post
    Didnt Skold fuck up a lot of the times at the start of the EMDM tour? I vaguely remember he wasnt able to pull off the solo for Putting Holes in Happiness for example, but I cant find any footage of it
    Yeah, but I always considered it part of his charm. Some bands I want technical perfection from, and then there's Marilyn Manson.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

SKOLD is by far the best. Charming and infectious. John is a close second but he lacks humanity, lol

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

John 5 because not only is he the only Manson guitarist who actually knows how to play guitar other than Skold (Who was good but still sloppy) and now Bates. But John brought one hell of a skill set and ability to adapt to any atmosphere Manson wanted to create, style as well as being able to improvise live. He is technically sound and a professional at playing any genre. He is an actual musician.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Shangri-LIE View Post
    John 5 because not only is he the only Manson guitarist who actually knows how to play guitar other than Skold (Who was good but still sloppy) and now Bates. But John brought one hell of a skill set and ability to adapt to any atmosphere Manson wanted to create, style as well as being able to improvise live. He is technically sound and a professional at playing any genre. He is an actual musician.
    John5 had the best stage presence of any Manson guitarist to boot, and completely transformed the live band the moment he entered the fold. Phenomenal guitarist that tore it up every single night. Bates is a close second. Dude is a total beast, and like Skold before him, gave a sputtering musical project a new lease on life with his entry.

Skold was a great all-around studio hand, but he was far from the best live bassist (Twiggy, by light years) or guitarist (John5). That all said, Skold is a total pro that deserves loads of credit for the GOAG and bringing a totally new sound and aesthetic to the group.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

...I'm seriously so baffled anyone is considering John a great guitarist. Live, maybe. Studio? Fuck no. Holy Wood was one of the most basic albums musically. Twiggy even has better writing skillZ....and that's not saying much.