Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eat Me, Drink Me Released 10 Years Ago Today

I remember my introduction to the era really well. I was still in school, had a friend hanging out at my house. I was playing some kinda Korean free to play Mario Kart knock-off on my computer and was browsing the web between games. I noticed a new song finally came out, or leaked, or something from Manson - Heart Shaped Glasses. I was pretty blown away, it was so unlike anything the band had ever put out before. It was different, but I liked it. My friend was more into Tool and System of a Down but he thought it was interesting. I think he didn't like it and was more into Manson's heavier stuff but still agreed that it was really interesting.

I still like the album, although I've found I like fewer tracks upon listening to it in full as the years go on. The title track "EAT ME DRINK ME" is still one of my favorite Manson tracks to this day though. It's so textured and haunting and I think, like the album itself, is so much unlike anything else from the Manson library. Sometimes I still wonder what another Manson-Skold exclusive collab would be like. I wonder what happened between them to cause Manson to hate him so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Posthuman View Post
    Provocateur.

EMDM was actually the first MM record I didn't buy on release date. I remember a friend of mine downloaded it and gave me to listen, and at first I thought it was shit. At the time I was disconnected from the Manson world, I only got a physical copy almost three years later. I obviously don't think it's shit, it's ok, but not exactly my cup of tea. Out of the last four records is the one I like the least, and I firmly believe it started his artistic decline. I'm giving it a listen right now though, it's been years since the last time.
    Lemme know what you think after another listen...
    Question. Are you a musician?
    Being a laptop player doesn't count..
    Thank :)

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Zimscum View Post
    What does it matter if he is a Musician or not?
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    There's some people that will cry and go "IF YOU ARENT MUSICIAN THEN BE QUIET AND IF YOU ARE THEN WHY ARENT YOU FAMOUS LULZ

Quote Originally Posted by pabloccb View Post
    I think EMDM, THEOL and TPE are the second triptych and BV would be the stand-alone.

Uh....What? BV is definitely part of it, lol. Dang. Wow. It's like you saw trumps 'covfefe' tweet and people made fun of him for typing something so ignorant, you said 'hold my water'.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    It gives me a better idea of the "fashion" in which he's listening to music..
    What function music serves for him

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

*Atonal cat mating sounds*
    That's nice, dear. Now take a deep breath. You don't wanna bite your tongue again!

:)

Not a musician, no. So I don't listen to music dissecting things and talking non-sense about the quality of the production and stuff like that. That said I like 'Eat Me, Drink Me' much more than I did ten years ago, really, but I can't stand lame, self-parody titles like 'They Said That Hell's Not Hot' and 'You and Me and the Devil Makes 3'. The former especially, it's a great piece of music which Manson built over a nice vocal melody, but really couldn't he think better words to sing?

There are plenty of self-parody titles, and lyrics, in the last four albums, something the young Manson would have never put on record. Starting with EMDM it's like he became a cheap comicbook version of himself, incorporating in his music all of those clichés that people who didn't know anything about Marilyn Manson would have said of him: satanist, goth, vampire, etc.

Now, you can say that he did it intentionally, he decided to become a living cliché on purpose, but I'd rather say he completely lost the plot and let his personal troubles and substance abuse problems taking over his career. The young Marilyn Manson was in full control, had a vision and concepts, the present Marilyn Manson is just a character without anything specific to say other than talking about himself using a stereotyped lexicon. That's essentially why I think that 'Eat Me, Drink Me' marked the beginning of the second part of his career, which in my own opinion is the declining phase.
    Last edited by Posthuman; 06-29-2017 at 06:56 PM.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Here's a really nice interview from 2007 where Manson talks about some aspects of the album

And yes, this was right at the end of his good interviews, so it's actually worth watching.

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

In that interview, he says he wanted to make a album that was so uninterested in what the record company wanted, and didn't care about how it would be received commercially. That says lot about the people who hate this album.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipp Six View Post
    Here's a really nice interview from 2007 where Manson talks about some aspects of the album
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxzrdfHK1g

And yes, this was right at the end of his good interviews, so it's actually worth watching.
    I was in the position where I don't want to ever make music again because I'm disgusted with the music industry... Unless I want to make what I want to make.

Being who I am is what I need to be... or there's no reason to be alive.
    Some really great takes from this interview.

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post