Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Eat Me, Drink Me Released 10 Years Ago Today

Quote Originally Posted by Posthuman View Post
    I can't stand lame, self-parody titles like 'They Said That Hell's Not Hot' and 'You and Me and the Devil Makes 3'. The former especially, it's a great piece of music which Manson built over a nice vocal melody, but really couldn't he think better words to sing?

There are plenty of self-parody titles, and lyrics, in the last four albums, something the young Manson would have never put on record. Starting with EMDM it's like he became a cheap comicbook version of himself, incorporating in his music all of those clichés that people who didn't know anything about Marilyn Manson would have said of him: satanist, goth, vampire, etc.
    It is occasionally useful to take a look at oneself in the mirror, when possible.

Manson IS a Satanist. He's paraphrased LaVey's writings in numerous lyrics. He gave him a cameo appearance in "Dope Hat" and hoped he'd even play on the album. He had dinner at his house and was personally ordained as a minister of the Church of Satan by LaVey himself. He wrote the foreword to LaVey's Satan Speaks!, ffs. It gets more arcane and involved from there but there's PLENTY more and hopefully you're starting to get the idea anyway.

And Manson IS a goth. Did you even read The Long Hard Road Out of Hell? Take another look at the clubs he was hanging out in, the music he was listening to, the bands he idolized, namechecked, and aligned himself with, etc. Hell, look at his wardrobe. His street clothes. Even at the beginning it was ALL right there on Front St. from the outset.

So WHO IS IT REALLY who "doesn't know anything about Marilyn Manson," ultimately?

What you're really talking about is just misguided, reactionary, quasi-elitist bullshit. "I wore black in high school and everyone called me a vampire/satanist/etc. but they just don't get me, man! HOW DARE Manson sing about vampires/satan/the devil now. Betrayer!" Well, guess what. It was always there and you just didn't know what you were talking about.

It's ridiculous. Sure, the way they would have meant it as an insult was stupid but what you're doing with respect to Manson, such as it is, isn't much better.

Oh, and speaking of those references to vampires and the devil...you should maybe read more about LaVey's concept of "psychic vampires." Manson's referenced it A LOT. Hell, he sang vocals on a track for an Anne Rice movie about the vampire Lestat and even SHE acknowledged that Christ himself and all his followers are basically vampires. Also WTF, he was sent to christian school and has ALWAYS had plenty to say about the devil but suddenly you draw a line in the sand at 2007 because...why exactly? To appease someone who doesn't know what they're talking about?

Likewise, "You and Me and the Devil Makes 3" was a traditional song/lyric/concept for over a CENTURY before Manson used it himself. Furthermore, it's a reference to a popular film of his time, which has LITERALLY been a hallmark of his career even BEFORE he covered a Willy fucking Wonka song to set the tone with the first track of his first album.

I'd suggest maybe doing your homework first before talking shit about the teacher.

Kinda helps to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited by Hazekiah; 09-03-2017 at 12:32 AM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Hell, he sang vocals on a track for an Anne Rice movie about the vampire Lestat
    Are you referring to Interview with The Vampire?

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

^ Facepalm! I've listened to this track so many times without even realizing it was from Queen of The Damned. And the fact that I associatd the name Lestat with Interview with the Vamprie more than I did with the former even further proves that my mind sucks, even though I've seen both films.

OT: I love Eat Me, Drink Me. Back in 2007 I didn't have my own computer so my access to the internet was so limited that I didn't know anything about an upcoming album until it was released. I remember hearing If I Was Your Vampire for the first time on Manson's MySpace page when at a friend's house. The song had a deep emotional impact on me and I was really surprised and happy to hear that Manson is making music again after reading in some magazine that he wanted to quit a few years earlier. To the best of my knowledge, this album was the first and last one to bring Marilyn Manson to my homeland Bulgaria so that's another reason that makes it special to me, apart from the music itself of course. :)

7. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Eat Me, Drink Me was my starting point of fandom and the first album I bought by him that was "New" and not of the past. I really enjoyed this one. I will fight tooth and nail with ANYONE about this album's quality and significance to the history of the band. I feel this is the last focused album with passion and drive in mind. There's thematic elements, the imagery interwoven between songs and the excellent track listing flows well. The tour was energetic, yet a complete off the rails thing also. I wish I could've seen a show date on Rape of the World.

This album is everything that a culmination of blood, sweat and tears can do when you have passion and drive. That's something The High End of Low onwards lacks.
    I use words sharp as a sword