Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarantino's next film to be [Charles] Manson-themed

Default Tarantino's next film to be [Charles] Manson-themed

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...r_breakingnews

Quentin Tarantino is quietly starting to put together his latest project, and is talking to A-list actors for what is promising to be a unique take on the Manson Family murders.

The project, whose title is unknown, was written by Tarantino who would also direct. Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who have produced and exec produced the previous Tarantino films, are involved, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

WME is said to be in the early stages of shopping the project to studios to co-finance and co-distribute the venture. The move apes the way Tarantino and the Weinsteins made the filmmaker’s 2009 movie, Inglourious Basterds, which had Universal Studios as a financial and distributing partner.

Sources say that Tarantino is putting the finishing touches on the script and that Brad Pitt, who worked with the filmmaker on Basterds, and Jennifer Lawrence have been approached. Studios could receive the package after Labor Day, according to one source. The plan is to shoot in 2018, possibly in the summer.

Script details are fuzzy but one of the story's centers is on Sharon Tate, the actress and wife of director Roman Polanski who was murdered by Manson and his followers in 1969.

Manson had ordered a group of his followers to attack the inhabitants of a house in the Benedict Canyon part of Los Angeles, believing it was owned by a record produced who earlier had rejected him.

Over the course of several hours on the night of Aug. 8, the four followers, using guns and knives, brutally killed Tate, who was eight months pregnant, and four other occupants.

In 1971, Manson and certain members of his crew were sentenced to life imprisonment for these and several other murders committed that summer.

If the Manson-Tate project does become Tarantino’s next film, it becomes unique in that it will be his first movie to be based on true events. Tarantino has molded his career into taking his favorite genres such as crime, Westerns and blaxploitation and elevating them to A-list status while also paying homage to them.
    I'd keep my eyes peeled for possible Marilyn Manson involvement on the soundtrack here, given the tenuous connections between Manson and Tarantino - Walt Goggins, the Natural Born Killers soundtrack, etc.
    Last edited by The Overman; 07-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I know Tarantino often has the Midas Touch - or at least a heavy reliance on kitsch - when taking particular actors out of their comfort zones and reinventing them, but I have to be honest, this sounds like it will be bollocks.

Incidentally, I don't think it's been since Holy Wood that Marilyn Manson has overtly referenced Charles Manson. A snippet of recognition here and there, but nothing tangible. It always seemed an event he was able to exploit from a comfortable distance culturally, but not show any affinity towards for the sake of his success. With that in mind, I could see him wanting to be involved with one of Tarantino's period or schlock/surrealist pictures, but probably not a Charlie Manson story.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    I know Tarantino often has the Midas Touch - or at least a heavy reliance on kitsch - when taking particular actors out of their comfort zones and reinventing them, but I have to be honest, this sounds like it will be bollocks.
    My biggest concern is that it sounds from this like Brad Pitt will be playing Uncle Charlie, and he's way too old for it, at least if it's set during the Tate murders. I mean, he'd be fine for the part in broad strokes - ref. Kalifornia - but there are surely better choices.

That said, I'd be totally down for a Tate murders movie that doesn't base itself on Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter, which is nonsense anyway. The Tates were not killed to cause a race war. I'm game for a revisionist Manson film, if that's what this is.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Brad's played some pretty convincing loony bins before, but yes, I couldn't ostensibly see him as Charlie. Still, casting criticisms are often proved wrong, so who knows.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

The idea sounds really interesting, and I'm never disappointed with Tarantino. Hopefully Manson has some connection with it, as it'd be entertaining, and neat. Brad Pitt is terrific, but idk about the idea of him playing Charles. But casting criticism has, in fact, been wrong. But a revisioning of the Tate Murders and such would be fantastic. Something that Hollywood hasn't seen in a while. Looking forward to it.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

I look forward to this and I hope that it happens. I also hope that Marilyn Manson has nothing to do with it. I want it done right or not done at all, there are so many movie takes done on this murder and really the only half decent one is the first one done ages ago.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quentin Tarantino is one of the most overrated writers/directors in recent history. That's not to say he's a bad filmmaker by any means, but his schticks are growing tired and old. I give him credit for his films being non-formulaic and unpredictable, but his whole mentality is that of a Filmmaking 101 student on steroids crossed with a 14 year old boy. Most of the things he gets credit for, in my view, are instead just excuses. He'll take something that's been done better than him by other cultures or in other time periods, throw in his cheeky black humour that's been insufferably overdone by everyone since Pulp Fiction, say he's not taking himself seriously, and critics will lap it up. The last paragraph of the original post made me laugh. To me he doesn't 'elevate to A list status,' he makes shallow and flat derivatives with lots of blood. I hated Kill Bill and Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds was meh, Hateful Eight was objectively shit, haven't even seen Django Unchained. Even Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are only 8/10s in my book. Idunno, I just get pissed that in some fucked up way, he managed to make 'high brow cinema' just as retarded as the rest of Hollywood Blockbuster films, and that he's still seen as some kind of god by a legion of 'sweaty horny dude' film students. Were he to actually be making all the films he talks about making, he'd be where Kevin Smith is now.

That's just my personal opinion. Many would disagree with me. I just don't like the dude. I'll take seeing a flick of his over a superhero movie or 80s reboot any day, but there's way better shit out there.

As for this Charles Manson film, I couldn't care less. The Manson story's been filmed too many times already. Last thing we need is Tarantino taking the premise and making some cheeky drivel with a plot that's 90% fiction. If anything it just gets into MM's 'folk hero' realm. WW2, that's one thing, but this would just be dumb.
    Last edited by Justsomeguy; 07-15-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Justsomeguy View Post
    Quentin Tarantino is one of the most overrated writers/directors in recent history. That's not to say he's a bad filmmaker by any means, but his schticks are growing tired and old. I give him credit for his films being non-formulaic and unpredictable, but his whole mentality is that of a Filmmaking 101 student on steroids crossed with a 14 year old boy. Most of the things he gets credit for, in my view, are instead just excuses. He'll take something that's been done better than him by other cultures or in other time periods, throw in his cheeky black humour that's been insufferably overdone by everyone since Pulp Fiction, say he's not taking himself seriously, and critics will lap it up. The last paragraph of the original post made me laugh. To me he doesn't 'elevate to A list status,' he makes shallow and flat derivatives with lots of blood. I hated Kill Bill and Death Proof, Inglorious Basterds was meh, Hateful Eight was objectively shit, haven't even seen Django Unchained. Even Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are only 8/10s in my book. Idunno, I just get pissed that in some fucked up way, he managed to make 'high brow cinema' just as retarded as the rest of Hollywood Blockbuster films, and that he's still seen as some kind of god by a legion of 'sweaty horny dude' film students. Were he to actually be making all the films he talks about making, he'd be where Kevin Smith is now.

That's just my personal opinion. Many would disagree with me. I just don't like the dude. I'll take seeing a flick of his over a superhero movie or 80s reboot any day, but there's way better shit out there.

As for this Charles Manson film, I couldn't care less. The Manson story's been filmed too many times already. Last thing we need is Tarantino taking the premise and making some cheeky drivel with a plot that's 90% fiction. If anything it just gets into MM's 'folk hero' realm. WW2, that's one thing, but this would just be dumb.
    https://youtu.be/pWdd6_ZxX8c
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

Ha. That actually made me chuckle. Thanks for that. It's been ages since I've watched BL.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I am not the slightest Tarantino fan, but I have a sense that he could make a film about this in just the perfect depth. I hope it gets done.