Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: A thread for discussing little known histories of locations people here are native to

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Default A thread for discussing little known histories of locations people here are native to

(Places you've visited or are currently residing as well if you care to share.)

First. The entrance; It can be quite disorienting. It's an almost mile long tunnel. 2nd lengthiest to The Liberty Tunnels in the city. *Important to note...Don't stand up in the back of a pickup truck while going through them like a teenager from "The Perks of being a Wallflower"...Well, you could try that. I'm not condoning it nor am I your boss. I'm not liable for whatever happens if you do. It's a "panorama out of nowhere".

There are better videos. This just happens to be one where some asshole isn't blaring their car radio or where people who are visiting the city for the first time are screaming "WOOOOOWWWWWW!!!", "OH MAI GAAAAAAAAD! IT JUST OPENED RIGHT UP! HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT!" ...Enjoy.

I'll stick to some details about my hometown as there are too many places that I've resided as well as went on excursions to. Yes, I am that much of a back packing, locomotive riding, steel Pterodactyl flying itinerant. (Used to be anyway. Now I mostly stick to interstate, state and county back road car rides to surrounding boroughs and doctor appointments for the most part.).

Pittsburgh -The city of bridges (466 in fact. More than Venice but nowhere close to Hamburg). It's also known as "The Paris of Appalachia"/"The Steel City" of the United States.

Pittsburgh is famed for many people of eminence, strange occurrences, battles, industries and arts

Nikola Tesla worked in Pittsburgh for a short while as a consultant for The Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company developing alternating current systems for street cars. He also tried to gain financing for his "Teleforce" weapon towards the end of his life through the same company but was denied funding for it. After his death, all notes and papers for his "Teleforce" idea were seized by the U.S. government Office of Alien Property/War Department. There were the child luring menaces marauding around in clown and other costumes during the summer of 1981. "The Pittsburgh Spookman" (Dr.Adolph C. Brunrichter). Francis Tumblety (one of many suspected to be Jack the Ripper for who was at one point detained by authorities in London) was sadly a mere charlatan doctor. Though he had a great deal of real medical expertise and surgical skill, he turned out only to be a socially abnormal pervert to the extreme who practiced Indian Herb Medicine. He's still a real cool guy to me. Ahh, let's see who else. We also have "The Pittsburgh Poisoner" Martha Grinder as well as the self professed Satanic Cults during the "Satanic Panic" of the 70's - 80's where the cities psychiatric facilities saw a steep rise in teenage patients involvement in "Satanic Crimes" that local police officers had to take special training for. Other than the many Presidents, innovators, architects, scientists, artists and war generals who have either visited, set up encampments, or are native to Pittsburgh. I also live here. So more the reason to come and experience some fun!

Cool places to visit; "The Dark Place", Pittsburgh's Northside/North Shore area, where I grew up and now live yet again. European settlers as well as the various native tribes warring with one another during the many battles that took place here warned of places such as Killbuck and Smokey Island, out of the many islands, along narrow channels near the three main rivers. Mt.Odin Golf Course, once a park dedicated entirely to Norse mythology. A little outside of the city, the Evans City Cemetery. (George Romero is also native to here), if you want to see where the opening scene of "Night of the Living Dead" was shot. Other scenes were also filmed in various places around here including the Monroeville Mall. You may also find it pretty fucking awesome to visit the planetarium on Observatory Hill which is at the highest point of the city at 1,370 feet or Mt.Washington where you can take a trolley from Station square all of the way up to the top and back down again.

There are many cathedrals here, including St.Anthony's which is the second largest Station of the Cross next only to the Vatican. Even if you're a firebrand Antitheist It's a very multi-ethnic city with it's various districts, bars/pubs, restaurants, shops and places that are bullet riddled that we're warned of staying away from on the morning news. Don't go to those neighborhoods. They're not very neighborly nor are they for a beautiful day...for anyone... or any day for that matter. They're dilapidated and overrun with riff raff. I still go to those neighborhoods though. I have mad street cred. Anyway. We're one of the most literate cities in the nation (despite the Pittsburghese accent and incoherent screaming as a conversational norm in any setting. Social or private). You wouldn't think that the majority of the population here are bibliophiles. More places to visit include Kennywood, Sandcastle, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, The Andy Warhol Museum, any theater in the cultural district, take a stroll through the strip district, the Southside if you want to get wasted, go to some venues for music both local and for bands not big enough for a main venue even though some of them have been around for 20 years or so, wander into hole in the wall establishments for conversations with some very....interesting people, if you're a sports fan then we have three world championship teams, the Carnegie Science Center (They have amazing midnight laser shows), I could go on and on. There are great people here. I on the other hand am an unabashed...

And hey...if you get lost...you could always ask this guy for directions.

The women here are also voluptuous and always DTF. lol
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 08-03-2017 at 04:36 AM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

This is actually a really interesting topic! I'm interested to learn about different cities we're all from!

Just a little something to share for now, someone made a whole website on allegedly haunted areas of Ohio. He includes photos, his own exploration, and other people's stories. Even if you don't believe in the stuff, it's full of history and a very interesting read!

http://forgottenoh.com/page1.html
    my sig is gone !!

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I could write something about the place I live in, but I find I am not in the mood.

Instead I am going to write about a place I've been to reasonably often in Rome, and enjoy visiting when I pass through. The Basilica San Clemente al Laterano in Rome is, well, as the name implies - a church. Don't let that put you off it though. It is in fact two separate churches, one pagan site of worship, a late antique wharehouse, and Republican Roman house all shoved into the one site. And therein lays its somewhat eerie charm.

On the top level is a reasonably standard twelfth century Basilica, lots of stone work, lots of blingly gold and marble work on the sanctuary, and some rather violent images of Saint Catherine on her wheel painted in one of the side chapels. It is what I would call 'papal dick waving' in style, given that it is dedicated to Pope Clement I of the first century (dude got to old). Has its charms, but it is not really alone in the world. Once you get a ticket and descend the staircase-ramp to the next level, that is when it begins to get good. The twelfth-century Basilica was built over the top of a fourth-century Basilica, which was erected inside the walls of a Republican Roman house (so prior 1AD). It is this huge, cavernous underground gutted shell that forms the second floor. Divided by by crumbling pillars, with darkened alcoves all around it is a lovely place to be on a hot summer's day in Rome. Cool, drippy and a major trip hazard. There is one altar that is non functioning, and has buried next to it a random scholar (another story altogether about bitch fighting in the Vatican archives), and some of the earliest lay painted, vernacular Italian frescoes around. Not to mention that the vernacular Italian is all swearing: 'Come on, you sons of bitches, pull! Come on, Gosmari, Albertello, pull! Carvoncello, give it to him from the back with the pole!'. Endlessly charming.

Going further down underground, you come across the tomb of two rather odd Saints, but skirt those and keep going down to the lower levels. The bottom floor had been once some sort of industrial factory - there are all these fascinating tiles laid down, which was built on top of a house. Down there is one of the only extant Mithraeum's (a place for worshipping the pagan god, Mithras) that still had the main stone in place. It is in the courtyard of the apartment block that had been built on the Republican house. In places you can see the walls of the Roman apartment block, which are straight compared to the curved parts of the basilica.

Everything is slightly saturated in water because the lower levels had been filled in, allowing the water to build up into a mini lake. It would seem that when the brothers (who own the church) accidentally broke through the wall and found it all, they then used the lower levels as a sort of very dark, flooded, claustrophobic summer swimming hole. Very dark, very cool because of the underground river that runs right through the middle (mithraeum's need to be on running water), it is akin to being dislocated out of time and space. Up above is all the chaos and bustle of Rome, but down there it is two thousand years in the past and half buried alive. Now that is something I especially love, along with the ascent back into bright, blinding light.

Alas, being me, I of course have absolutely no pictures.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post