Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Stand-up Comedy

cold blows the wind

Default Stand-up Comedy

I've been watching some new and hilarious stand-up so I felt the need to post this thread. I don't want to go over the classics because I'm sure everybody is already full aware of the legends - Carlin, Hicks, Pryor, Chappelle, Hedburg, Stanhope etc etc

Anyway, here's some shit I've been watching.

I especially recommend Nate Bargatze, Marc Maron, and Jim Jefferies. Louis CK is a sex predator but I think it's still acceptable to find him funny.

I'm not gonna lie though, I've kinda already kinda lost my concentration of this thread. I'll post more comedians as I think of them, there are so many awesome young comics coming up.

Post comedy.

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Chris Rock, bigger and blacker or never scared. Love those. He actually gives you something to think about too.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    cold blows the wind

Quote Originally Posted by 303 View Post
    Chris Rock, bigger and blacker or never scared. Love those. He actually gives you something to think about too.
    Relevant, "49 minutes of discussion about comedy, featuring Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK."

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I went to the Chicago Comedy Festival in 1999 because my gf wanted to see Patton Oswalt and it was a FANTASTIC time.

His show was at The Subterranean in Wicker Park (where I'll be seeing That Poppy soon omg) and it was my first time there. We had a few drinks and watched the openers and Kathy Griffin even came out to improv for like 10 minutes because she was still not feeling well from her first round of near-death liposuction and plastic surgery. Her entire impromptu set was literally her just telling us how godawful it was and all the ways it nearly killed her and she actually pulled her sweatpants down and lifted her sweater up onstage to show us all she wasn't kidding. It really did look terrible, all bruised and swollen around granny lingerie, and some guy ran up with a camera and snapped a pic right when she did it and she railed at him like OMG IF I SEE THOSE PIX ANYWHERE I WILL KILL YOU, lol.

Oswalt was great but the real highlight was Marc Maron right before him. We had cable and I'd seen a few minutes of him live on Comedy Central here and there so I knew he'd be great but he KILLED IT even harder than I'd expected. At one point, he went into his bit about being drug tested at work and wrapped it up with "Hey, man, if you can't tell I'm high just by LOOKING at me then I WIN" like usual then added that he didn't mean to drag us into his personal problems and that he was just kidding...but that he'd also be over by the bar after his set if anyone was holding, lol.

Then he finished and no bullshit actually walked straight off the stage and over to the bar and I said to my gf OMG I HAVE TO DO IT and we went to buy him a drink and I told him I had a guy who'd deliver pretty much w/e he wanted right to the venue. He walked us to the ATM across the street, took out $600 and waited for me by the payphone while I called my guy. He said it would take an hour or two so Maron just went back in to hang out and left me on the street with SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS, no more than 20 minutes after I'd met the guy, since my pal couldn't get into the venue and no one had cellphones back then.

When he finally showed up IT WAS ON LIKE FUCKING CRAZY and Maron took us on a whirlwind tour of all the little comedy clubs participating in the festival around the city and we eventually wound up someplace downtown where Lewis Black was performing. We caught the end of his set then Maron walked us backstage and was all GET A LOAD OF THESE GUYS, THEY HOOKED IT THE FUCK UP! So then Maron basically handed off one of several 8 balls to us to make trips to the bathroom with and it was Maron, Black, my gf, and myself plus whoever else making trips back and forth and passing it around all night. And the bathroom had a six foot mirror you could pull off the wall AND handiwipes so when they announced closing time I took everyone in there, cleaned the mirror, and we did a few MASSIVE fucking lines together, lol. It was KILLER.

At which point Maron gathered all the cool guys up and drove us in a rental to his hotel room with about 15 local comics so we could do lines all night into the morning, except as soon as we got to his room like 60 stories up he realized he was missing two 8 balls and TOTALLY awkwardly put US on the spot in front of everyone like HEY, DIDN'T YOU GUYS HAVE THOSE? We answered that we had the ONE that everyone else was sharing too but that we knew for a FACT we'd given it back to him before we all left the venue. So he gave us THE KEYS TO HIS RENTAL JEEP and asked us to take a look in the parking garage.

We got down there and immediately found two 8 balls right between the driver's seat and the door and, not gonna lie, for a split second we were like OMG WE COULD JUST DRIVE AWAY IN A STOLEN CAR WITH TWO 8 BALLS RIGHT NOW, lol. He barely even knew our first names.

But of course we didn't and there are WORSE conciliation prizes then arriving into a roomful of comedians like the second coming of christ while we all got INSANELY fucked up and watched each comic trying their coke-fueled best to outdo everyone else in the room.

OMG IT WAS EPIC AF.

So anyway. I love Marc Maron and I'm officially ONE DEGREE OF SEPARATION from President Obama thanks to cocaine and the best dealer EVER.

XD XD XD

8. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    cold blows the wind

Holy fuck dude, Marc Maron is like the entertainer I most personally identify with and that's saying a lot. The general vibe he gives off of being a ball of neuroses and contradictions, made up entirely of existentialism and fear of death and crippling self loathing and infinite self superiority and cuntiness, is something I can sort of relate to lol.

So that sounds pretty goddamn rad. Getting fucked up with a bunch of professional broken sad clowns sounds like a fucking blast regardless, but it would be nuts to do with a personal hero lol.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post