Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Heaven Upside Down - Press/Interviews/Etc.

Caveat: I cannot play a single instrument.

Part of the problem re. the bass in past Manson records is that the bass and guitar typically accompany each other directly. With few exceptions - you mentioned "The Dope Show", and I'd add "The Minute Of Decay", "Are You The Rabbit?", "Slo-Mo-Tion" and a handful of others - the bass and the guitar are playing mostly the same notes at the same times. Some records have this worse than others; I can only think of one independent bassline in The Golden Age Of Grotesque - "Slutgarden". A shame, as Skold was a tremendous bassist.

Obviously we're not to spoil anything, but a couple of things have apparently changed this time around in the writing process, and this is one of them.
    Last edited by The Overman; Yesterday at 10:21 PM.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    Caveat: I cannot play a single instrument.

Part of the problem re. the bass in past Manson records is that the bass and guitar typically accompany each other directly. With few exceptions - you mentioned "The Dope Show", and I'd add "The Minute Of Decay", "Are You The Rabbit?", "Slo-No-Tion" and a handful of others - the bass and the guitar are playing mostly the same notes at the same times. Some records have this worse than others; I can only think of one independent bassline in The Golden Age Of Grotesque - "Slutgarden". A shame, as Skold was a tremendous bassist.

Obviously we're not to spoil anything, but a couple of things have apparently changed this time around in the writing process, and this is one of them.
    I think some of these problems are exasperated, in particular with Antichrist Superstar, by the fact that despite being uncredited Twiggy did a lot of guitar for it. So once it came time to record the bass stuff, if it wasn't just repurposing old Spooky Kids bass riffs like 1996, he'd just kinda phone it in and play along to the guitar and so it was just blended in to the background.

I too am not a musician, but Manson aside I've listened to other bands like Interpol where I've never had to strain to hear the bass. It's something to do with how the albums were mixed. It's not something unique to Marilyn Manson, a lot of rock bands just leave bass to the wayside for one reason or another. Frankly I think it mostly has to do with most bass players being shitty.

I don't put Twiggy in that category because as you mentioned Skold basically phoned it in during GAoG but was involved in producing the album and more than made up for it with EMDM. So usually there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than what we're privy to.

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Agreed. And that probably translated over into Twiggy's writing for subsequent albums - "well, the bass was pretty inaudible on Antichrist Superstar and fans love that album, so I'm going to continue following the guitars and it'll work out in the end." And I think Skold picked that up from Twiggy, since his albums share much the same problem [Skold is a beast on the records for KMFDM he played bass on; his bass playing on his Manson records is far more restrained in comparison, certainly to his guitar playing on Eat Me, Drink Me].

How much of that is a writing problem vs. a mixing problem I can't say without being able to read notation, but at any rate it's annoying.
    Last edited by The Overman; Today at 12:58 AM.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    Agreed. And that probably translated over into Twiggy's writing for subsequent albums - "well, the bass was pretty inaudible on Antichrist Superstar and fans love that album, so I'm going to continue following the guitars and it'll work out in the end." How much of that is a writing problem vs. a mixing problem I can't say without being able to read notation, but at any rate it's annoying.
    It's just frustrating because when you can hear it, I love it. The Dope Show is great even if it's a self-admitted ripoff of Nightclubbing. I LOVE that bit at the end of Coma Black "Her heart's a bloodstained egg," etc. Shadow of the Valley of Death has great bass too. I'm not a musician but I just love bass and it seems like such an underappreciated aspect of constructing rock music.

I hear about how Metallica, when they added Jason Newstead they apparently intentionally mixed his bass to be so low out of 'Justice' and it makes my blood boil.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Man Who Fell From Earth A Gruesome Discovery's Avatar

I would strongly disagree that the bass is inaudible on ACS or that it's just following the guitar, particularly on Dried Up, Tourniquet, Wormboy, Mister Superstar, Angel with Scabbed Wings, Kinderfeld, Minute of Decay, and Reflecting God (i.e., most of the album). Even in the songs where the bass follows the guitar, like Little Horn, bass still takes up a huge portion of the mix; the guitars are super-thin in that one, as you can hear in the intro, and all the meat comes from the bass.
    If people are saying that the bass is mixed low on ACS, I suspect that they're misidentifying bass parts as guitar, possibly because it's often overdriven and taking up huge portions of the lower-mid frequencies that are often reserved for banging away on power chords. In my opinion the bass on ACS is massive.
    This space intentionally left blank.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by A Gruesome Discovery View Post
    In my opinion the bass on ACS is massive.
    I agree. I've always enjoyed the bass work on Manson's albums. Especially on THEOL.