Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When did Manson become the "I'm a huge badass" guy? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    To my mind, the synth in it is much more reminiscent of the synth from The Golden Age Of Grotesque than that on Mechanical Animals.

But you're right, by itself it needn't mean anything. And it probably is a result of his earlier excesses biting him in the ass. But there is a logic by which it could be intentional or semi-intentional which isn't completely laughable. And it doesn't require Manson to be some genius of the ages, either - just a little drunk on his own Kool-Aid.
    I assume you're referring to a song like Slutgarden or the end of This Is the New Shit? When I first heard those songs I thought it reminded me of Mechanical Animals songs like User Friendly, New Model No. 15 so that's probably why I still attribute it to MA.

But I think even when Manson was 'acting' there is a certain level of art in the artifice as well as creativity and ambition that can be appreciated on an intellectual level. Even with Mechanical Animals which people called a sellout album, was he actually selling out or was he mocking the notion whilst ironically making a very accessible pop album - that is a brilliant in my view. So much of his earlier work I feel I can appreciate on many levels.

His newer stuff doesn't really have that. It seems like he caved under pressure and felt he couldn't live up to his own persona, got carried away with drugs and lost sight of what made Marilyn Manson so enthralling to people. Instead of creating another chapter for Marilyn Manson he said 'fuck it, I am Marilyn Manson' and began resting on his laurels whilst the vapid, empty celebrities around cheered him well on his way to his own demise.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post

There is a dualism between the way Manson is acting and especially describing his music and how his music actually sounds. And this works backwards as well as forwards - The Pale Emperor was his "most violent record yet"; Heaven Upside Down "reminds people of their favorite parts of Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals". In reality, TPE is quite soft; and it's virtually impossible to hear anything of Mechanical Animals from what we have so far of HUD, though this does not preclude the description being more accurate with respect to the full record.

Manson could just be completely out of touch, in a way that's really quite jarring. That's plausible. Or it could be a deliberate effort to make a more subtle point, akin to the kind of self-deconstruction I suggested above.
    Manson notably never describes the music itself as such, but rather 'friends hear x, y, z in album blah.' Which is about as subjective as the entire thread here speculating on what they hear in the song. In referring to himself it is always about how he felt at the time of the album, or the mood of the recording, or the tone of the chaos around the studio. So what you are hearing is a sonic rendering of the motivation that went into an album, not necessarily the music from Mechanical Animals or Antichrist Superstar. Then it is filtered through Tyler and whatever else Manson is interested in at the time. Whether or not this is a useful way (or even accurate) way find inspiration is a bit beside the point, because that is how he is explaining it.

With self deconstruction, because I rather like that idea.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by A Gruesome Discovery View Post
    I like that Marilyn Manson is now shocking and offending his own fans with his latest persona. It's the final frontier!
    I've been waiting for this and I'm surprised it's taken this long. Wait, strike that. I'm not surprised. I'm really, really not.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

5. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Man Who Fell From Earth A Gruesome Discovery's Avatar

Gun-totin', hard-drinkin', meat-eatin', rootin' tootin' red-blooded American Man Manson is the best Manson, but I could see how people who can't do a push-up might be turned off. Just wipe your vagina, watch your extensive anime collection, and wait for his next weepy breakup album for songs that make you feel better about getting stuffed in a locker in high school. The rest of us will be stinking of whiskey in the pit and knocking you out of your spot that you showed up extra special early to get, then laughing at your impotent anger.

I kid, because I love. You're all cool. Manson's angry right now, so just relax and enjoy it - it's the purest and most evolutionarily advantageous of human emotions.
    This space intentionally left blank.

7. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Gun-totin', hard-drinkin', meat-eatin', rootin' tootin' red-blooded American Man Manson is the best Manson, but I could see how people who can't do a push-up might be turned off. Just wipe your vagina, watch your extensive anime collection, and wait for his next weepy breakup album for songs that make you feel better about getting stuffed in a locker in high school. The rest of us will be stinking of whiskey in the pit and knocking you out of your spot that you showed up extra special early to get, then laughing at your impotent anger.

I kid, because I love. You're all cool. Manson's angry right now, so just relax and enjoy it - it's the purest and most evolutionarily advantageous of human emotions.
    lol I love my Manson fan friends as well but there is so much accuracy in what you said. :P
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by Shangri-LIE View Post
    lol I love my Manson fan friends as well but there is so much accuracy in what you said. :P
    This would be a more cutting criticism if you weren't a doped up gimpy nonworker. =]

I snicker to myself every time I hear the line "I hate you all but somehow you find me incredibly charming" because it's like yeah, we know you do, and we don't find you that particularly charming anymore either.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I don't think the issue is that people are upset that Manson is the way you're describing. I think people are just kind of grossed out by how much Manson thinks he's the way you're describing.

13. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Put it in your middle finger and sing along...
    "And We Will Sleep on the Skin of Its Nightmares..."

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

There doesn't seem to be a right way to put this, but I've always guessed it was for similar reasons as to why the likes of the Insane Clown Posse and Slipknot did that. (Or even Ministry.) Granted, I'll still admit that it's unbecoming when dialed up to a certain extent, even for Marilyn Manson.

Aside from that, most people here seemed to have already covered what I generally had in mind anyway.