Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: When did Manson become the "I'm a huge badass" guy? Why?

cold blows the wind

Default When did Manson become the "I'm a huge badass" guy? Why?

Am I the only one who thinks this weird fucking disingenuous machismo gangster 'I'm a badass and I'm going to stab you and shoot you' affectation Manson has been slurring his way through for the past several years is incredibly off-putting?

Like what the fuck are you just Fred Durst now? We know where you fucking live? 'We're' going to come to your house and murder you because 'we' don't like you? LOLWUT

It's so incredibly weird and it's like he's a completely different artist and person than he used to be. And not in a "people change" way. He used to be the soft-spoken guy who had things to say that were evocative and well thought out and interesting. Now it seems like his whole persona is trying to be like... I don't even know what, Tony Montana? Has Marilyn Manson ever been in a fight? What are the odds on him knowing how to throw a punch?

It's strange to me that I almost never see this behavior commented on. How is this so widely accepted in the Manson fanbase? This is never what MM has been about. Marilyn Manson has turned into the guy who bulled Marilyn Manson fans 15 years ago. This guy would call Mechanical Animals Manson a softy faggot. Duality has always played the main role in Manson's artistic work and personality, but where is that now? What is so appealing about such outwardly aggressive, threatening songs? It's even worse coming from a guy who is so hilariously the precise opposite of physically intimidating. Why turn into such a caricature?

Are we all just okay now with the heavy pop rock versions of "I'm gonna fuck your bitch and beat you up" rap songs?

2. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

I've actually been feeling this way for quite some time. I guess it's his new thing, and I totally agree with you. And I love the new material, so it's not me not enjoying what he's been bringing us lately. But that's what his image nowadays seeems to be based on. I'm pretty sure it's for shock value. Or it's him just trying to live up to the bad boy image he portrays. I think it's both, actually.

One thing that I always found kind of an eye-roller is when he says his new work is "incredibly violent". To me, it just sounds like he's being violent for the sake of being violent. It doesn't seem like there's as much depth to it as there used to be.

Oh well, oh hell.

4. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Heaven's Reflection Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

You already know my opinion. But song that are aggressive? 90 percent of TPE were softer (Third day, Warship My Wreck, Odds Of even, etc), which is a sensitive side of him. Which goes from that to a song like Slave Only Dreams to Be King. But maybe music is just one thing. In terms of appearance, he has grown to be a 48 year old Man, would you expect him to stay the way he was 2 decades ago? Even during his most feminine era, of Mechanical Animals, he still had an edge to him, such as outfits he wore during the Rock Is Dead tour, the songs he sang, and such. Every album of his has a mellow and sort of sensitive feminine side to them, even on an album like ACSS. Bottom line is, people change. No matter what. It can be for the better or for the worse. I think he maintained himself damn well after 25 years, aging and such. Did David Bowie always keep his Androgynous look? When he was near 70? Pop / Rock Icons will keep their Glamorous look to them, but keeping their femininity might not be easy. It doesn't bother me how he is now, besides that fact that he seems to lose focus and acts in a way that one might consider "Drunk Manson". That seems to be a better conversation. Looking at how focused and well spoken he was about his work. It was lost at around 2008 (When Twiggy came back...), but it seems as though it may be returning in these recent years. But other than that, I dig it. We have years of eras archived, go back whenever you want to. He's a older Rock star who's prime was in the 90s, he could do the same thing if he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this weird fucking disingenuous machismo gangster 'I'm a badass and I'm going to stab you and shoot you' affectation Manson has been slurring his way through for the past several years is incredibly off-putting?

Like what the fuck are you just Fred Durst now? We know where you fucking live? 'We're' going to come to your house and murder you because 'we' don't like you? LOLWUT

It's so incredibly weird and it's like he's a completely different artist and person than he used to be. And not in a "people change" way. He used to be the soft-spoken guy who had things to say that were evocative and well thought out and interesting. Now it seems like his whole persona is trying to be like... I don't even know what, Tony Montana? Has Marilyn Manson ever been in a fight? What are the odds on him knowing how to throw a punch?
    This is what I think should be the topic. How his persona has died and is more "Brian Warner" Now. I agree here.

Also, he took Fighting classes in 2014.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Yes, I do agree. I like the new songs on a baseless level, as in just listening to them, but when I read some of the things in the new interviews it is pretty cringey. Even stuff like this "We've got some very intense, alchemical, scientific, binaural sounds that sometimes even make me have a panic attack while I'm listening to it!" sounds sardonic and facetious, but perhaps I'm looking into things too deep again.

I agree with cataract that it's likely just for shock value, as what passes as "controversial" these days has rendered his previous attempts obsolete. A lot of people mention his appearance on Bill O'Reilly as changing their opinion on him and for me it was what really got me into his music. The thoughtful, soft spoken guy who genuinely had interesting things to say. Those days are long gone though.

The only thing I know about his supposed "fighting ability" is that Shia LaBeouf said he couldn't throw a punch, so....
    Last edited by Mok; 09-11-2017 at 03:53 PM.

8. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    cold blows the wind

Again, you're not listening @Nemoris Inferioris. Change isn't the issue. The issue is this particular behavior and how unconvincing and cringey and awkward it is.

Marilyn Manson has never been known as a tough macho guy. He's not from the ghetto. He's not in an underground fight club. He's never been physically intimidating. He is a goth. Aggression isn't the issue, it's the vapid hollow one-dimensional acting like he's literally a gangsta rapper. What I'm describing is an entirely different phenomenon than angry or aggressive music with a point, which has always been a common thread. Frankly, he's fronting and it's so unnatural and transparent and embarrassing.

(Also nothing says super intimidating tough guy more than 46 year old Marilyn Manson taking "fighting classes" lmao)

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

He got a few good jabs in when he wanted me to box him back in the day and it definitely hurt when he punched me in the balls a few years later, fwiw. So there's that, lol.

And you guys have exceptionally incomplete and/or selective memories.

Perhaps if you'd re-watch the backstage/onstage footage from the Dead to the World and God is in the T.V. VHS tapes you'd remind yourselves that Manson has ALWAYS been violently destructive and outwardly aggressive.

>___>

12. Like 8 Member(s) liked this post
    Heaven's Reflection Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post

(Also nothing says super intimidating tough guy more than 46 year old Marilyn Manson taking "fighting classes" lmao)
    I bet Manson could beat your ass.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    Men Without Shoulders
    Apple's Fall Far From The Tree.
    The Shadow of a Cross, burning into the ground.
    Days are getting
    Darker.

cold blows the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Manson has ALWAYS been violently destructive and outwardly aggressive.
    That's pretty different than what I'm describing. I'm not trying to say that Manson used to be some completely stoic pacifist or anything. He used to be a dick, sure. But lately it seems like this behavior is the core and sole aspect of his personality. It seems to be the only thing left. It's clear it's a complete fabrication, a total put on. He never needed to so desperately talk his violence and aggression up to a cartoonishly absurd level. The way he acts now comes across pretty blatantly as a complete lack of confidence and the need to wildly overcompensate and try to paint himself as the most bad ass dude ever. It's just constant random tangents about guns and knives and brass knuckles and fucking bitches and whatever other rambling he thinks up in the middle of his sentence. It really comes across like I said, cartoonish or like a comedy movie character, but it's so painfully clear that he believes it to a troubling degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    I bet Manson could beat your ass.
    Even if that were true (I probably have the same amount of fighting experience as he does, none, but I'm also half his age and not morbidly obese) why would literally anybody over the age of 12 care? It doesn't matter who could beat me up because I'm not going around every day saying what a huge scary badass I am and that I love to be violent. There's nothing shameful or embarrassing about not being violent or a skilled fighter. The issue is when you're obviously not intimidating but you also keep trying to convince everybody of how intimidating you are.

15. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

It's just more of his Goth-Thuggery - he has been hot on it for years imo.

Course I'm rather fond of it.
    Tainted Love video still gives me wood and I'm straight...(might be the bunnies though)
    "And We Will Sleep on the Skin of Its Nightmares..."

17. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I was about to say the same thing as Hazekiah, thinking about the Dead to the World tour indeed..

Also he isn't all 'gansta/macho', in this interview (http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music...ersion=pgevoke)

He said this : "If I looked at it from a distance I would see it as someone who wants to take on the world and they don’t need anyone else, and then find out like anyone would that you do need someone else. You can’t have an empty life, you don’t want to be a nihilist, you don’t want to be a fatalist, so you want to find a partner who’s willing to take on the world with you.”

To me that sounds a lot like the 'soft-spoken' kind of Manson. It also kind of explains both traits of character, the part where 'they don't need anyone else' is the macho side and realising that 'you do need someone else' is a lot like his 'softer' side.

I do get what you mean, Golden Eel. I also just think he legit has been hanging out with some rappers :p
    I sometimes slightly cringe too but it kinda just puts a smile on my face.

19. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post