Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "We Know Where You Fucking Live" - Lyrics & Initial Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    I've only listened to the song properly once but because I played the video emailed to me by Manson with my location several times in a row, I had the chorus stuck in my head for quite some time afterwards. And since I don't know the rest of the lyrics, for some reason my brain decided to fill the gap with Manson singing "there's more than one way to make you cry" in Pretty as A Swastika. I don't know why, perhaps I thought the screams "let me show you where it hurts" were quite similar to the ones witht the words "we know where you fucking live". Either way, I guess these are my initial "no thought involved" impressions, maybe I could add something more substantial at a later point.
    Yeah, I had the same thought and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, too.

And it's DEAD ON.

Between the stuttering guitars underpinning both refrains in question and the fact that both sets of lyrics, "we know where you fucking live" and "let me show you where it hurts," EACH consisting of exactly seven syllables broken up upon those stuttering guitars in much the same way, it's a wonder it hasn't already been mentioned more.

Probably just a stylistic preference in action but if it IS a coincidence then it's a fucking GOOD one.

\m/

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    There are some really nice throwaway lines, but it is odd how part of The Bright Young Things was taken near-verbatim:-

"We don't need to move a single prayer bone
    We're so beautiful and damned
    Simply as a "still life""

Various words, phrases, even images have been adapted and transferred from earlier projects in Manson's work before, usually with intent. Consider "Maniqueen of depression" between Mechanical Animals and Diamonds & Pollen, or "toys all smell like children" in Kinderfeld, to name a few.

Maybe the album itself will bridge another gap between The Golden Age Of Grotesque and today. After all, he did open the former with "Everything has been said before. There's nothing left to say anymore", and that was written fifteen years ago.
    "Throwaway" is dismissive and rude.

And it IS verbatim.

Well, the first line is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    I find it odd too. I have yet to figure out what that line means, but Manson rarely speaks about TGAOG. Oddly enough, because he seemed really excited about the album/ era.
    It makes PERFECT sense once you put the puzzle pieces together.

I was about to make a thread about it yesterday but I guess I'll have to wait a little while longer to make sure it isn't clumsily lumped in and merged with this Frankensteinian abortion of an "Initial Thoughts" thread.

>___>

Last edited by Hazekiah; 09-13-2017 at 09:20 PM.

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

I think Manson just found them in the same journals from GAOG and did it by accident tbh. He re-used stuff from that time period on TPE after all.

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mok View Post
    I think Manson just found them in the same journals from GAOG and did it by accident tbh. He re-used stuff from that time period on TPE after all.
    I only noticed the term "Deep Six".
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

First I thought the lyrics were more emotional, then I thought the song was "sell out" where Manson gave the media what they wanted (logic before emotion). But after hearing it for the 20th time or something like that I got a little revelation which made it much better for me, because it became more esoteric in depth. (At first it fucked with my head that the song had so distinct parts and that the lyrics did not seem to be one narrative, but rather murder fantasy all over the place. I thought he maybe tried to make "a song to kill a lot of people to" and that would have been like the onion article where he went door to door to shock, and also, the song is not structured in a aggressive yet meditative flow where anyone would be able to go on a killing spree and just be in the moment.)

Me being able to rethink the song I guess grew ut of 1) knowing this is a concept album 2) manson saying every song is like a scene from a movie 3) knowing how Manson communicate ideas in interviews. If you take it like the lyrics and the music is more like a movie mixed with a dream, where you are the camera from inside and from outside both the scenes, the characters and the director "as above so below"-style, the song is so much better. Pretty sure the music video could fuck this up though. But for now this is how I hear the song. It's the world singing through Manson. Schizophrenic and stoned in style but also ascended into better art, and it works with the the title of the record.

"So what's a nice place like this doing 'round people like us" could be a question from a meta character like mephistopheles reflecting bitterly about existence. I guess the main protagonist in the song (if we ignore the vampires robbing blood banks and ISIS driving into people on the streets, on the asphalt, etc) is trying to make pain into pleasure in the vein of what Nietzsche wrote about overcoming suffering and making it beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXj6ZEANFg (On the end, in context. Not the exact video I was thinking of, but this works as well.)

"Fire, fire, fire away" shows the subconscious being in pain, but the next time it gets sung more apathetic, after the more cocky cocaine perspective of "I love the sound of shells hitting the ground, man". "Fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire... (ad nauseum)" sounds nihilistic.

The whole idea I have of it reminds me a bit of this music video and lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj-10lIrboM

Okay. It is the devil saying "what's a nice place like this doing 'round people like us". It's the world singing about the nightmares, surveillance, violence and terror. And it's the protagonist trying to cope that sings "I love the sound of shells hitting the ground, man" and "fire, fire, fire away".

7. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I've mentioned this before, but there's a weird little epic saga that encompasses "Get Your Gunn", "The Bright Young Things", "Deep Six" and now "We Know Where You Fucking Live". What it means precisely I don't know, but each subsequent song in this list references the preceding ones lyrically, as a callback. If "The Bright Young Things" had been a single - as well it should have been - they'd all be singles, and so have that in common, also.

I don't really like it and most probably for the reasoning of Manson's celebrity name dropping humour having now become incorporated into his musical aspirations. I also haven't liked that he has chosen to go with a song title and subject so closely involved with another project done prior by his musical brother in arms, Twiggy with Goon Moon, with I Know Where You live, which I actually do love.
    The lyrics to this new Manson song just don't provide much interest or want within me. The music itself isn't so wrong though and I think it is the lyric and subject matter that I won't care to need on this new album. Having read the whole album song review article, it seems as though I will only be pleased with maybe one or two songs on this album, but that is fine anyway, as I haven't found myself so intrigued with what Manson has gotten up to since TPE and that is fine, I will always remain somewhat interested in what Manson is doing, as a longtime fan and perhaps distance is key to long adoration.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

The Bright Young THings :
    Crashing the ether
    We've got the loudest stereotype
    Even neophytes deep 6 your pro-life
    We don't to move a prayer bone
    We're so beautfil and damned
    Simply as a "still-life"

Ripped of his own verse. I still like it though
    Im An Entity In Which Is Invisible To Mankind...

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I wish he would respond to this.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
    The Bright Young THings :
    Crashing the ether
    We've got the loudest stereotype
    Even neophytes deep 6 your pro-life
    We don't to move a prayer bone
    We're so beautfil and damned
    Simply as a "still-life"

Ripped of his own verse. I still like it though
    Yeah, but that lyric in turn is a direct reference to "Get Your Gunn", specifically "even neophytes deep six your pro-life" - "the pro-life I will kill".

What does "neophyte" mean? An inexpert beginner at something - like Marilyn Manson circa Portrait Of An American Family, a novice in his field who'd just released his debut album.

"The Bright Young Things" is saying that even a beginner like Marilyn Manson circa 1994 can "deep six" - kill - your "pro-life" - in other words, engage in social criticism stereotypical of the broader angsty industrial genre Manson was commonly taken to be representative of. Perhaps the implication is that it takes an expert to make one's self the subject of one's art, as Manson would do subsequent to TGAOG.

Long story short, there's a deliberate chain of reference there - from "Get Your Gunn" to "The Bright Young Things" to "Deep Six" to "We Know Where You Fucking Live". And it's too deliberate to be self-plagiarism; it's most certainly intentional, a thread to follow throughout Manson's discography. Why those particular songs, and what the exact meaning behind it is, I couldn't say. But it's obviously important to Manson.

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

We don't need to move a single prayer-bone
    dodge/burn
    so high and sub-low
    We don't need to move a single prayer-bone
    Hi-def is still life.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post