Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturnalia

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Also particularly pertinent given that the lyrics for "Saturnalia" include quite a bit of automotive imagery and the original draft is overlayed atop the lyrics for "Just a Car Crash Away."

Not to mention the greater context of each song together, relationships ending, his dad, etc.

This really IS a great find.

Has anyone really been able to isolate the rest of the handwritten lyrics well enough to actually make them out better yet? I mean, I know it was an ongoing effort at the time but I don't remember it getting very far.
    I think the rest are more notes and portions of lyrics unrelated to each other rather than a set of lyrics to a full song. Not all his notebooks contain full song ideas, some are just collections of words together or pages of single words that donít connect in any way except for him to select from to build a song later on I guess.

In this instance it would appear on reviewing his books he found that set of lyrics and found it relevant to put into a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    I keep coming back to read this and just nod, despite having nothing to add. It is such a lovely parallel in so many ways, and I am also pleased with the ever so tangential and roundabout link between Cabrini, Australia (many of those in charge or involved with Cabrini were from here) and Manson.
    And Saturnalia is also an anagram for... Australian!

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12, KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
    And Saturnalia is also an anagram for... Australian!
    Seems appropriate. It was Australian scientists who sent Cassini into its final, fiery plunge into Saturn's atmosphere.
    Last edited by Enname; 02-21-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Smill lik a riffle.

Smill lik a riffle.
    <3

Soft metal in the deading gun
    Last edited by Enname; 02-21-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    I think the rest are more notes and portions of lyrics unrelated to each other rather than a set of lyrics to a full song. Not all his notebooks contain full song ideas, some are just collections of words together or pages of single words that don’t connect in any way except for him to select from to build a song later on I guess.

In this instance it would appear on reviewing his books he found that set of lyrics and found it relevant to put into a song.
    Non sequitur?

I feel like we're having two different conversations, lol.

No one's saying that he wrote or arranged his lyrics any differently for the latest album than he generally has it the past, a process which he's clarified on many occasions. What I'm saying is that the juxtaposition of the lyrics in the booklet for Eat Me, Drink Me and the handwritten journal excerpts may be less random than they are generally considered to be, that's all.

The shared imagery and themes of "Saturnalia" and "Just a Car Crash Away" being a very intriguing case in point, for instance.

And now that he's had the time to write four more albums since then I'd be very curious to go back and re-examine those entries for further correlations along the same lines with respect to any other bits that may have popped-up elsewhere in the intervening decade.

The shared imagery and themes of "Saturnalia" and "Just a Car Crash Away" being a very intriguing case in point, for instance.

And now that he's had the time to write four more albums since then I'd be very curious to go back and re-examine those entries for further correlations along the same lines with respect to any other bits that may have popped-up elsewhere in the intervening decade.
    Especially given the Lost Highway-Natural Born Killers-Thelma and Louise road trip references going on alongside the motor vehicles, motel vibe that permeates Heaven Upside Down.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Yeah Haz I get that, but I wouldn’t read too much into it. I believe the page itself which is in the EMDM artwork is not added in relation to JACCA, but now a line or two can relate back doesnt make it all of a sudden relevant in the sense it’s connecting up to make a big spark moment.

The remaining lines and words could appear in the future in a very non related way to JACCA, we will see.

The EMDM artwork was designed as almost a scrap book of notes and letters along with polaroid’s and scans. So scans of his journal added in just add to that.