Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN - Fan Reviews / Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    I also loved the female vocals during Heaven Upside Down. Although the moment the vocals appear is very short, it adds a whole lot. I remember being surprised when I first heard them. Such a good track.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ6Zem6H...-by=dentata666

This is evidently the lady who did the backup vocals in that song, saith Reddit.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

I really liked this. Like really REALLY liked it, to the point where I have a feeling I won't be listening to much else for the next couple of weeks! It's hard for me to compare/contrast this to the Pale Emperor because both of them feel so different both to each other and to the rest of Manson's discography. Which honestly is one of the main reasons I always come back to Manson; he never makes the same album twice and always manages to keep things fresh and interesting. In my opinion at least lol.

There isn't a single bad song on here for me (yes, I even think Jesus Crisis is good. I refuse to type it with those goofy af dollar signs in the title though haha). I'm completely in love with the title track; it's so upbeat compared to the vast majority of his other songs. Everything in this song, from the lyrics to the guitar solo to Manson's voice to the female backing vocals are perfect. Also really loved Blood Honey and Saturnalia. I hope Manson does more 8 minute+ songs in the future, because even if Saturnalia did feel a little too reminiscent of Bela Lugosi's Dead in parts I still found myself enjoying it so much that when it was over I couldn't believe 8 minutes had already passed. Which is the sign that a long song is good and actually deserves to be that length in my book.

I'm really impressed with Manson's vocal performance on this album, especially considering how much abuse his vocal cords have accumulated over the years. I really felt the David Bowie influence, especially on the last few songs. Threats of Romance is a great closer to an already amazing album. And of course Tyler Bates is absolutely phenomenal throughout the entire album. Definitely the best thing to happen to Manson in the past 17 years!

I agree that Revelations, WKWYFL, Kill4Me and even Say10 felt kind of underwhelming compared to how they sounded live, but I am slowly starting to like the studio versions for what they are. I didn't think the lyrics were as bad as some reviewers/fans have made them out to be (Jesus Crisis gets a pass from me because it really does feel like part of Manson's "macho pseudo-violent" persona, as @The Overman put it), but the majority of Kill4Me still makes me cringe so hard. I get that it's supposed to be sarcastic, but it feels so forced to me for whatever reason. Best lyrics if you ask me are in Saturnalia and the title track, which makes me wonder how much better the rest of the lyrics could have been if Manson had kept working with even more songs after missing the Valentine's Day release date. But I'm still completely fine with most of the lyrics we got (except that first verse in Kill4Me, ugh I cringe every time).

Overall this is just a good, solid album. I don't think it holds up to the triptych lyrically or conceptually (although there is a definite concept/narrative running throughout HUD imo), but it's definitely one of the best of the post-triptych albums. Musically it's incredible, and I really can't thank Tyler Bates enough for bringing us two great Manson albums. I'm also looking forward to album 11, and whatever new genre they decide to explore on it! As much as I love heavy Manson, I still would love to hear his "dark country album"....maybe not with Jonathan Davis though lol.

It's a rather good album al together.

I must say that SAY10 and JE$U$ CRI$I$ are my two favourite songs. I love how JE$U$ CRI$I$ has a break where it just gets totally hardcore in the middle.

I cannot wait for the SAY10 video 'Manson is apparently teasing.

Other songs are good too, but these two stick out for me.

9/10 very good atmosphere, and I love the instrumental.
    "I'm Marilyn Manson, go fuck yourself"

This is what I wrote elswhere.

Thoughts on 'HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN':

Being a Marilyn Manson fan is hard.

Everything about his modern career is a mixed bag. The man is still producing some genuinely interesting music, and most of it is better than half the shit in the 'alternative rock' sphere these days.

Unfortunately the self-aggrandizing and mythologizing gets so tedious and tiresome. We get it. You fancy yourself a button pusher.

You used to be able to confront societal norms and challenge morals without explicitly saying it or shining a light on yourself - now it seems that's ALL you do, ALL you write / sing about. Nothing is left to the imagination.

'THE PALE EMPEROR' (2015) was such a welcome change in pace - musically AND lyrically. A blues infused southern-poetic rock album. Now 'HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN' gives us a few solid steps forward musically, but a big old step back lyrically and thematically.

I mean jesus christ, we live in a world where a failed reality TV star is president. This new album should have been the shining comeback peak that Marilyn Manson started with 'Pale Emperor'. It could have been the most politically charged, topical album of this year. Instead it's a 'pretty good' rock album that gets bogged down in self-inflation and weak personal metaphor.

Still a solid 7/10, worth a listen but not something that will sit with you.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Here's my two cents on HUD song by song

Revelation #12: I agree with a lot of you on this one ,it was better live imo ,but its still a great opener

Tattooed in reverse :Wow ,that one took me by surprise ,i love the first verse ,its right in your face and it doesn't let go until the songs over,for some reason it reminds me of "red carpet grave"

WKWYFL: Great first single ,its MM at is angriest ,the lyrics are aggressive and violent ,it made me feel the same way ACSS made me feel back in the day

SAY10: i was so impatient to hear this in full after all this time and it didnt disapoint ,its my second favorite song on the album ,can't wait to see the video

Kill4me :God i hated that title when it was first mention ,sounded like a bad rap song title to me ,but god do i love it now loll he needs to release this as a single ,it could be the next "dope show" imo (which problably means he will play it on stage for the 15 tours lol )

Saturnalia :I'm so glad he delayed the album (despite all my initial complaining) to include this song on it ,it is really good and the 7:59 min goes by too fast

JESUS CRI$I$ :i lke half of this one ,the lyrics at first are cringe worthy to me ,but when he starts screaming "I'M LIKE A JESUS CRISIS " then the song redeemed itself

Blood honey :My favorite so far ,for me its right up there with the best song form MA ,too bad my GF is not a MM fans because it means i wont get to fuck her while its playing in the room

HUD: might need some more listening for this one ,right now its my least favorites track of the album as far as title track goes its pretty weak imo ,but it still good

Threats of romance : Good song ,but its is worst album closer imo

8/10 for me for HUD ,its a great follow up to TPE but TPE was better imo
    Sorry for my poor english ,i'm a french Canadian from Montréal

Quote Originally Posted by maniac82 View Post

SAY10: i was so impatient to hear this in full after all this time and it didnt disapoint ,its my second favorite song on the album ,can't wait to see the video
    I also can't wait for the video!
    "I'm Marilyn Manson, go fuck yourself"

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I definitely think the lyrics are much better, and more clever than TPE. Some of his best, like for Saturnalia, Blood Honey, Heaven Upside Down, and Threats Of Romance. I think the first have of the album (Excluding KILL4ME and SAY10) they seem to lack something that the second half gains. I think they were focused too hard to be heavy/ hard. Not saying I like them any less, but the second half is amazing. Kinda makes me think of it as a double album, or how MA was. Split in two. Both halfs seems to differ, and have a contrast, lyrically and musically.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

HUD is exceptional. It fits hands down right after the Triptych and TGAOG and might actually be on par with TGAOG, well, perhaps not, as Manson´s vocal cords are rather shot these days in comparison to 2003 :)

HUD is like (I think) what every Manson fan, young n´ old has been wishing for for years!!! I honestly think Tyler and Manson were reading this forum and picked up on the suggestion, that many of us voiced, me included, to incorporate lots of electronic elements and synths, get back to aggressive and driven sound, whispers, voice layering and have in your face attitude. HUD has all of that in spades!!! If ACS was released on 2017 it probably would sound similar to HUD.

How can anyone not like it is beyond me... It destroys TPE, which I still love and think was truly Manson´s return to form and some of the songs on that record are some of my favourites of his whole discography, but then again some of them were kind of meh and felt like filler material. HUD on the other hand, feels like it has no filler songs whatsoever. Every song is like Christmas (a pretty satanic one though) :D, interestingly no song on HUD sounds similar, they are all pretty different, but somehow they all work together and create a strong cohesive atmosphere. As for past album references - I certainly hear some nods to POAF, ACS, MA, EMDM, TPE, BV, but it is very subtle and the record really stands on its own sonically.

And one more thing - an observation - is it me or ist it the first MM album since POAF that does not sound depressive at all, even the slower songs toward the end are all kind of upbeat? Just totally different and unexpected.

Comments:
    - Revelations #12 (at first listen I was sort of disappointed cause live version sounds heavier for sure, BUT with each listen I love it more and more and by now it has actually become one of my favourites)
    - Tattooed in reverse (oh dear Lord, pure electronica eargasm, I was massively and megapositively shocked and couldnt believe Manson went for this sort of sound)
    - WKWYFL (honestly, guys and galls, how can you bash it??? It is so heavy and intense - listen to it on good sound system and then judge :D)
    - SAY10 (BASS heavy destroyer - first 60sec are other-wordly good and the rest is rather calm but cool and filled with attitude)
    - Kill 4 Me (loved it from the first listen and still love it, sexy and catchy)
    - Saturnalia (one of MM´s best songs ever, it is magical)
    - Jesus Crisis (that drop, wow, MASSIVE, lyrics are definitely a tongue in cheek affair, but it is deliberate and fits Manson´s ironic attitude)
    - Blood Honey (just a beautiful beautiful song, whiff of MA in this one)
    - HUD (so groovy, can listen to it all day long)
    - Threats Of Romance (my lest favourite song on the record, sounding a bit too plain rocknroll to my ears)

Thank you Tyler, thank you Manson! Something this good was not expected from you tbh. I predict, that the record will be massive success for the band.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotJesus View Post
    This is what I wrote elswhere.

Thoughts on 'HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN':

Being a Marilyn Manson fan is hard.

Everything about his modern career is a mixed bag. The man is still producing some genuinely interesting music, and most of it is better than half the shit in the 'alternative rock' sphere these days.

Unfortunately the self-aggrandizing and mythologizing gets so tedious and tiresome. We get it. You fancy yourself a button pusher.

You used to be able to confront societal norms and challenge morals without explicitly saying it or shining a light on yourself - now it seems that's ALL you do, ALL you write / sing about. Nothing is left to the imagination.

'THE PALE EMPEROR' (2015) was such a welcome change in pace - musically AND lyrically. A blues infused southern-poetic rock album. Now 'HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN' gives us a few solid steps forward musically, but a big old step back lyrically and thematically.

I mean jesus christ, we live in a world where a failed reality TV star is president. This new album should have been the shining comeback peak that Marilyn Manson started with 'Pale Emperor'. It could have been the most politically charged, topical album of this year. Instead it's a 'pretty good' rock album that gets bogged down in self-inflation and weak personal metaphor.

Still a solid 7/10, worth a listen but not something that will sit with you.
    "everything has been said before, nothing left to say anymore"...

making an album charging against current president would have been unwise, as the record would become dated very quickly. HUD is deliberately being ironic and in your face, I think it is taking the piss of the society and Manson himself. I for once I am glad HUD is being controversial, no MM record should sound the same, just think back about the outcry because of the change from ACS to MA...

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by MA-86 View Post
    "everything has been said before, nothing left to say anymore"...

making an album charging against current president would have been unwise, as the record would become dated very quickly. HUD is deliberately being ironic and in your face, I think it is taking the piss of the society and Manson himself. I for once I am glad HUD is being controversial, no MM record should sound the same, just think back about the outcry because of the change from ACS to MA...
    I, like others, initially felt like the current political atmosphere was the perfect opportunity for Manson to capitalize on. He even hinted at it with the teaser video for SAY10. He's also spoken on this very subject on the past back in 2000 before George W Bush was elected:

"I think music and all art really flourishes and becomes much more exciting under a conservative president because there's a need to react against limitations. If it's right-wing, it just instantly makes me want to push the envelope more."

Seven years later Nine Inch Nails released Year Zero which was very politically motivated and I think it proves your point completely. It seemed fresh and edgy at the time, and was relevant to the current atmosphere. But now when I listen to it, it just seems outdated and irrelevant.
    I'm glad Manson didn't follow that same path. I think Heaven Upside Down is an excellent addition to his catalog which introduces some familiar themes and sounds but also sounds edgier and more experimental than some of his more recent albums.