Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: HEAVEN UPSIDE DOWN - Fan Reviews / Discussion

I bought the vinyl, still hasn't arrived.. awesome!... but I listened on Spotify this morning. Honestly, I was highly disappointed, and even thought 'this is terrible' at times.
    I think the album is a mess structure wise, and vocally. I used to love Manson's voice, but I miss the days of Manson being able to create a melodic, and cohesive vocal pattern, everything comes across so disjointed. It seems as if he's cramming as many words as possible where they do not fit.

Two things have become real old in his songwriting -
    Repeating every line multiple times, and the constant word play. It was cool when he started doing it around GOAG, but it's just become boring ie: 'cocaine and able'? haha just stop.

Jesus Crisis might be the worst Manson song in the catalog, those lyrics are as cringe worthy, and lazy as they come.

Maybe I've just grown up, my musical taste has definitely changed, but this is a 2/5 stars for me.
    Favorite Song - Blood Honey
    Least Favorite - Jesus Crisis
    Last edited by JT_; 10-06-2017 at 06:04 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

03 / 10 - Revelation #12 (live a total 10 / 10)
    02 / 10 - Tattooed in Reverse (well...no)
    04 / 10 - WE KNOW WHERE YOU FUCKING LIVE
    07 / 10 - SAY10
    04 / 10 - KILL4ME (Third day... Ripp-off, but atleast groovy)
    08 / 10 - Saturnalia
    06 / 10 - JE$U$ CRI$I$
    02 / 10 - Blood Honey (reminds me of every awful thing of THEOL)
    03 / 10 - Heaven Upside Down
    05 / 10 - Threats Of Romance

4,4 / 10

For me it is NOT a mix between MA and ACSS. I don't know where people notice that...it's more like the bad stuff of THEOL meets some good TPE Arrangements. It wouldn't surprise me, if half of the record was made during the TPE-sessions.

The time has come where I ask for songs like "we're from America" or "Murderers are getting prettier everyday", because we will never see stuff like "little horn" or "Burning Flag" ever again.

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

The album is great, it has some amazing songs, but it doesn't feel cohesive or conceptual as Manson said.
    It's more like a recompilation of feelings and ideas with no connection between each other.
    Also, it doesn't sound like acss or ma at all in any point, I place it somewhere between bv, theol and tpe.
    Even so, I like this album a lot, I have listened it since the leak and I totally love it.
    I would wish Manson could stop with all that "this is like acss" shit, with every record he puts out since emdm; just stop.

My English is not good enough to make an entire review, but I love the album.
    Kill4me is my favourite so far.

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

After a series of underwhelming albums, beginning with "The High End of Low," up and coming musician Brian Warner is beginning to come into his own, drawing clear inspiration from the sound and style of Marilyn Manson.

I don't understand the complaints about the lyrics of "Jesus Crisis". Manson has always adopted a macho pseudo-violent posturing at times. Have we forgotten "Snake Eyes And Sissies"?

Run you down without a twitch
    Your car's just not as big as mine
    Tear the son out of your bitch
    And sprinkle your remains with lye, yeah
    That's always gone with the territory. It's meant to be comical, and I find it fucking hilarious. I actually think

I write songs to fight and to fuck to
    If you want to fight I will fight you
    If you want to fuck I will fuck you
    Make up your mind or I'll make it up for you
    is more witty than the aforementioned Portrait track. I much prefer this kind of lyricism to the mopey, whiny shit sprinkled on The High End Of Low.

Also, there's a lot of Antichrist Superstar on this record. And Mechanical Animals. It's just that no one song tries to emulate the style of those albums directly, the way that "Leave A Scar" tried to be a B-side to Mechanical Animals or "Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day" tried to slot itself somewhere on the first half of ACSS. Rather, each song draws liberally from aspects of past records - "Say10" for instance has a bassline that belongs on Antichrist, but with synthesizer notes taken from Golden Age. Rather than releasing a record that sounds like it consists of B-sides - which is what The High End Of Low was - this album instead tries to recombine the styles of past records on each song.
    Last edited by The Overman; 10-06-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

9. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 I can't believe this. Oh my fucking Bates. Tyler Bates. <3 Manson <3
    This is more than I imagined it could be. I am so impressed and so happy Manson is being true to himself

"Hold my hand, spin around"=== thank you for the crazy train, Manson-- of course, it seems quite familiar =P <3 & Bates, just Thank you. <3 the pianos, the everything sprinkled in and out, this is beautiful. Paired with Manson's contortions of tones and lyrics &&& this is just a beautiful record despite all the damage... of course there has to be, these flowers of evil sprouting from "someone like me"
    Last edited by YoureAlreadyHere; 10-06-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    Also, there's a lot of Antichrist Superstar on this record. And Mechanical Animals. It's just that no one song tries to emulate the style of those albums directly, the way that "Leave A Scar" tried to be a B-side to Mechanical Animals or "Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day" tried to slot itself somewhere on the first half of ACSS. Rather, each song draws liberally from aspects of past records - "Say10" for instance has a bassline that belongs on Antichrist, but with synthesizer notes taken from Golden Age. Rather than releasing a record that sounds like it consists of B-sides - which is what The High End Of Low was - this album instead tries to recombine the styles of past records on each song.
    "A lot" is reaching, but there is definitely hints of these albums on a song or two, more ACSS than MA, even if the musicianship falls short.

Who is drumming on this record? it's as lifeless as Chris Vienna's playing. I miss Ginger Fish.
    I think Revelation #12 would be a monster of a song, those riffs, and aggression are absolute ACSS, but it just lacks any punch whatsoever.
    Same with WKWYFL, that drumbeat in the chorus is so void of drive, right where this song should explode we get these style-less drum machine like back beat.

I think people will not be able to hear the similarities because the band that is playing them is not the same.
    I can dissect it, and hear it, but on the surface Manson's comparison doesn't come across.

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

In addition to songs taking influence from past MM albums, some lyrics from this album are taken from others too. "Symbolic Firearms.... Bottomless Celebrity Scars" Red Carpet Grave? Symbolic Firearms was in the EMDM booklet too. "I like you Damaged" - "I love you damaged"... Just find it funny. Plus Deep Six referencing Bright Young Things.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Gave it sort of a detached first listen, but in my opinion this record is a big step down from The Pale Emperor; musically and lyrically. I thought TPE worked pretty well as a whole with some really strong lyrics to boot (esp. Deep Six, Third Day, Killing Strangers, Cupid, Warship, etc), whereas this record really does feel like a patchwork of everything from EMDM and beyond that wasn't done particularly well.. at all.

There are some interesting musical spots, most notably Revelations, Say10, and Saturnalia, but ultimately for me the lyrics kill any interest when it emerges. They are atrocious. "Cocaine and Abel"?? Come on..

I get it, I'm just a baleful curmudgeon who can't let go of the Triptych and the late 1990s.. but not exactly. Loved the GAOG when it was released, and still have a lot of warm feelings for it. Excellent record. What's so disappointing is that TPE felt like he was finally stepping away from this trite rock star cliche and emerging as an artist who let the music do the talking once again, so while the TPE felt like three steps forward, HUD feels like MM just took another six backwards.

If Twiggy is still around after this latest touring cycle finishes, I hope he's given another crack at being the driving musical force behind an MM record. Throw Trent back into the production fold as well if their renewed friendship grows into another musical collaboration.

That all said, I'm looking forward to catching the tour.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit Freeston3r's Instagram Channel

Gonna give a review when I've heard the album a few more times. Really liking it but not sure if it's on the same
    Level as TPE. Still really enjoy it though.

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post