Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modulite Fashion & Style

Default Modulite Fashion & Style

There was some enthusiasm this morning in the board for a topic about fashion. I am not quite sure that I should be the one starting it, but at least if I can get the ball rolling then it might give some others the chance to contribute in a more sustained way.

So.

Questions! Prompts!

• What do you wear?
    • What do you wish you wore?
    • What aesthetic do you follow in fashion?
    • What trends do you love or hate?
    • Do you have a favourite designer? Do you loathe designers and all who patronise them?
    • How does fashion or style allow you to be yourself?
    • Do you use fashion as a way to blend in or differentiate from the group?

I don't care if you are male, female, non cis genered, or pineapple. Fashion a conversation, post pictures, write a philosophy.
    Last edited by Enname; 11-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

White t-shirt, running shorts.
    Occasional Manson, Tool, A7X, NIN, Nirvana band shirts.
    DVS skater shoes, beanie (Hot Topic), khaki pants, "punk" belt e.g. Avril Lavinge, Green Day from Spencers.
    Spiked punk/goth braclets (Spencers).
    Volcom hoodie(Pac Sun)
    Etnies backpack to carry my Stephan King book, knife, Ipod.
    lol
    Last edited by Scentless Apprentice; 11-07-2017 at 04:49 AM.

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I try to find a balance between Class, almost GQ, with a sort of "Punk" look. I don't like that word because it's mostly associated with the "Grunge" look, but I mean having a edge. I think brands that perfect this look is one like Noose & Monkey, as they blend edge and class together nicely. Mixing traditional styles and retro aesthetic with a modern look. That's what I think Fashion is about. A blend of opposites to make something new. Contrasts. I also will say that a lot of fashion is unisex. As I own Zara (Women's designer brand) pants, And I love them.

Tbh I have never gotten into trends. Everything I have worms has always made me stand out from the crowd, which you could say is what I intend/ intended. I find it boring that people try to look ordinary. By wearing the same clothes as everyone else, because they're afraid to stand out, and would rather blend in with the crowd, to be accepted. Plus the latest "trends" are usually of bad taste. Like How everyone wears sweatpants now, wherever they go. It seems like a lack of care for their image. When I was little, I always cared about how I looked. I would spends my entire morning before school doing my hair. Just being self-conscious. I think everyone cares about how they're percieved, even if they act like they don't. Which falls in with wanting to blend in.

I consider myself to be Metrosexual. And I do spend the majority of my money on clothes. Probably more than girls do.

I think Fashion is important. It's a form of art.

As of now, I have a Black and Dark Purple checkered silk dress shirt, that has a high collar, Gun metal skull cufflinks, Black Lamb Leather tie, black suspenders, and Demonia Platforms with Steel capped toe.

Other days I'll wear Stacy Adam's Brogue dress boots, Nak Grey Herringbone silk smart pants, Black studded leather belt, white textured dress shirt (With Skull studs).

Favorite designers:

John Varvatos
    MorCouture
    Leonardi
    New Rock
    Stacy Adams
    Heart & Dagger
    Noose & Monkey
    Vivienne Westwood
    John Galiano
    Jeffery West

"Set Fashion, not follow."
    Last edited by Nemoris Inferioris; 11-08-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

5. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    I try to find a balance between Class, almost GQ, with a sort of "Punk" look. I don't like that word because it's mostly associated with the "Grunge" look, but I mean having a edge. I think brands that perfect this look is one like Noose & Monkey, as they blend edge and class together nicely. Mixing traditional styles and retro aesthetic with a modern look. That's what I think Fashion is about. A blend of opposites to make something new. Contrasts. I also will say that a lot of fashion is unisex. As I own Zara (Women's designer brand) pants, And I love

I consider myself to be Metrosexual. And I do spend the majority of my money on clothes. Probably more than girls do.

I think Fashion is important. It's a form of art.

"
    Now I am more awake I can try contribute a bit more. Nice work Nemo, you sound mighty dashing (and rumours from the first Manson concerts support this hunch). Edgy and polished ways work so damn well for those who can pull it off.

We are a bit similar I think, at least in aims. I spent many years declaiming I loathed fashion and style when younger, until realising that I was the biggest idiot and actually adore clothing and style on the art and historical end, even if not always what comes from the fashion houses and all the attendant rubbish it is encoded with. I know a lot about costume construction and what people wore in the past and why, sumptuary laws, style development and have a deep and abiding love of fashion in the years 1918-19, the 80s, Syria in 1436, and loathing of the 70s (current fashion is hell for me - a-line, go away). Just ASK ME. In the process I've become a reasonably proficient seamstress (although the last few years have seen a lack of cutting and drafting room) and can construct most things. I also finally remembered that remembered that fashion is in many ways first and foremost about communication, social interaction and fundamentally woven into both group and individual psychology in ways that dictate class and gender etc. And no matter what I did it was important to how I operated, even if I can never be someone who embodies their clothing 'seamlessly'.

This is mostly because I never fitted in (into clothing, into life, into the world) very well and so spent most of my teens determined not to do so. I was definitely a goth, but one who refused to dye their hair (and still do) on principle because EVERYONE else was doing it so fuck you, and attempted to pioneer a look using the brown obsessed 90s that resembled more of a sepia portrait from the early 20th century than anything else. I was... not very successful, except in the makeup. Alas, money for deployment and my neophyte sewing undermined me greatly. But I sure stood out. My 20s were one long mixture of attempting a business look with goth romantic-early twentieth century, again never quite working. I also wore the same wardrobe for 10 years (resewn endlessly while I researched historical costume as a side interest) due to poverty. I avoided trends like the incoming skinny jeans - in part because ack trends, but mostly because my legs are hideous. It was also also a period where I raged against the makeup machine and refused to wear any at all. This happens every now and then and I always outright refuse to wear 'nude' or 'neutral' makeup as a waste of my fucking time. Plus I like bright red eye shadow and lipstick. Sometimes even together.

By my late 20s I got bored. Bored with everything (also happens a lot to me) and decided to include colour in my wardrobe, because I adore colour. Perhaps a little too much it turns out. It is not that I was incapable of wearing colour, but incapable of wearing multiple colours, lol. Says the person dressed in almost head to toe blue today. So I had to learn moderation, or at least some ability to mix and match. Black is still my comfort zone, but I'll accent. This advent of colour also meant I had to reassess what I could wear as there were different styles out and about. I naturally adore hyper structured things, but who can afford it and well, you need to be a twig. And that is when I went 'oh, I like fashion, but fashion doesn't like me.' I am at best built like a brick shit house, and am at worse 'fat as fuck' so there is a lot of establishing what things I can feasibly wear at all, and then what might actually suit my rather preppy-French-historical style. Oh... and does it come in my size? I have bought things a size or 10 down and then stripped them apart to rebuild it properly, but this is not so useful if it is the material I like.

Because god, textures. I adore them. You should see the pile of material I keep around because of the colour or the feel of them. Actually, maybe not.

So I now try to pick a trend or two that I can manage (I eventually embraced skinny jeans and decided everyone else can just deal with the eye trauma involved, because they are too hilariously like the trousers worn in the Middle Ages and I will never stop finding hipsters looking like peasants funny) to work in. I own far, far too many coats, hats and shoes and try to remember that it is for my pleasure and no one else. There is my work wardrobe, my study wardrobe and the ever present 'experimental' one that often fails because no one is quite ready for 19th century choir boy gone adult woman shaped like a blob, lol. More is the pity! There are also times when I am far more interested in not dressing up, in not wearing make up and in being the muted and less interesting natural version.

Photos:

Christmas 2016:

Halloween 2017:

Work in November 2017:

Not caring:

Best of all, I treasure the fact that in teaching undergraduate students I have had a number of them come up and tell me that a) they run a betting poll on what I am going to wear that week and how I twisted it; and b) inspired them to play around with how they dress and consider themselves within fashion, and on dressing for employment and its political and practical ramifications for how to pitch yourself. I will never be cool, hip or a trend setter. But that - that was unexpected when I set out to be myself.
    Last edited by Enname; 11-08-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Typos be real

7. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

First of all, thank you for making this thread Enname! I did think you should do it when FeedYourHead gave the idea in chat because you know fashion history which could potentially expand the discussion with some educational material. Also I think it's really fucking cool that you can sew!

• What do you wear? Monday to Thursday it's smart business clothes due to the dress code at work. And in case you're wondering, no I don't do some fancy schmansy job. I work in a call centre. Yes, I am required to dress smart to work in a call centre- not very smart. Anyway, I keep that as simple and inexpensive as I possibly can because why would I want to invest in lifetime pieces for a job I cannot bear to spend another second at? So some typical outfits will include a black and white patterned dress with a black blazer or black, ochre and black patterned trousers with a plain white shirt and a black blazer. Shoes are either low heel lace-up brogues or mid heel shoe boots. No jewelery or accessories. The rest of the week I'd just wear jeans and some sort of top or knitwear depending on the season. At the moment I can't really say I have a style due to changes in lifestyle/finance/weight in recent years. This has taken its toll on me in a way because I have always loved experimenting with different styles and literally embodying the way I feel on a particular day. This has always been the purpose of fashion to me.

Recently, I began to familiarize myself with the concept of a capsule wardrobe and I think this could be something highly fuctional for a busy professional but along with that I would prefer high quality long lasting pieces which of course, I cannot afford. For those of you who are curious about the capsule wardrobe thing, here is a link to a YouTube channel created by a fashion designer who has released a lot of useful material on how to recognise good quality pieces, how to dress according to your body type and all things fashion-related.

• What do you wish you wore? A suit that makes me invisible maybe.
    • What aesthetic do you follow in fashion? In recent years my mission when shopping is to find stuff I don't hate. Also, I never combine patterns with patterns.
    • What trends do you love or hate? Combining old and new really, regardless of style. It can be either a love or a hate for me.
    • Do you have a favourite designer? Do you loathe designers and all who patronise them? No, I don't really follow fashion designers' work but I hear this Karl Lagerfeld dude is pretty good. I bought a pair of sunglasses by him six years ago and they still haven't failed me. Other than that, I can't say I loathe designers. I dislike people with a high sense of entitlement and superiority regardless of what they do for a living, if that's what you're asking.
    • How does fashion or style allow you to be yourself? In a way that I could wear my moods on the outside.
    • Do you use fashion as a way to blend in or differentiate from the group? Neither.

I picked some photos from my mid-twenties. As I said, I like changing :)

9. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

I was just gonna come say that this thread might be less than effective without pictures. Shoulda known you'd start the trend @Procrastinator lol.

(Seriously tho. I don't know the name for basically any item of clothing that isn't a shirt or pants and I can't be totally alone in that, even on PM. What is a fashion thread without pictures. I know I'm not the only who wants to objectify Nemoris.)

Anyway, Enname didn't specify any particular standards of appearance, so I'm going to contribute by way of exploiting this loophole. I'm sure some of you know I've never put more than 10 seconds of thought into my overall vibe. Maybe I'll trim up my facial hair if there's a special event. Otherwise I wear like 5 different band tees out of the 50 I've had since high school ranging from size spandex tight to size Mexican serape due to being a 6 foot tall person fluctuating between 140 and 210 pounds repeatedly over years, plus a general propensity to get clothes a few sizes too large regardless. Once it gets cold I'll settle on a zip-up hoodie and wear that for 9 months until it warms up. Plus a few flannels underneath my graphic tee.

I usually stick with a beanie for years, I had the House Targaryen one for like 4 and wore it just about always, unless it was 100F+. It's pretty much falling apart so I've switched to the ushanka hat now and it's a goddamn dream.

I wear whatever plain blue jeans I can find that don't smell. In the summer I've got a few pairs of $5 Walmart basketball shorts I'll cycle through.

I wear slippers when I'm at home. I also wear slippers when I'm not at home. And pajama pants during the winter, also not exclusively at home. You don't know comfort until you go run errands or eat at a restaurant in pajamas. If it's really hot and I'm going out somewhere I'll wear flip flops or flip flops with white ankle socks if my little piggies are chilly but not cold enough for slippers. Otherwise, I've bought probably 4 pairs of shoes since graduating high school ~10 years ago. Usually some gross running shoes that are horrid gray with some neon flair - always for less than $20 at Walmart. I'm not spending more than $20 on a pair of shoes, that's just frivolous. And then I'll wear those shoes for years until there's holes in the bottom, after which I'll continue wearing them for another year.

I don't have anything against people who care about how they look, although I have a pretty low annoyance tolerance for waiting while somebody gets ready to do something. I take about 30 seconds to get ready so it's pretty frustrating when people take 2 hours. But otherwise I can appreciate people dressing nice. I like a lot of styles I see on people. If somebody gave me an unlimited credit card and told me to buy a wardrobe I might try to get some nice stuff and maybe try out some new stuff I've never worn. But other than a hypothetical like that, it isn't something I literally ever think about. I simply don't care because dressing like a bum doesn't make me feel bad and doesn't make me worry that other people think I look like crap. It's nice to have one thing that you don't have to stress out about, something that removes a decision because it's constant and predetermined.

Here are some pictures from a time span of several years. You can see how I dress exactly the same forever, which I never really thought was a style but I guess technically is...? Other than the picture with the Russian hat, I'm wearing a band tee in every pic lol - same Tool shirt twice, APC, Manson, and Puscifer. All my favorite shirts.

I found the pictures of myself in a folder of random pictures I've taken over 6 years, so I've also included a few unrelated bonus pictures, because they amused me as I scrolled through the folder. The Lamb of God and some baby bears in a dumpster and whatnot. So enjoy that. Click for enlarge, especially dat boi the frog I found.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

11. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    First of all, thank you for making this thread Enname! I did think you should do it when FeedYourHead gave the idea in chat because you know fashion history which could potentially expand the discussion with some educational material. Also I think it's really fucking cool that you can sew!
    I really think almost anyone (FeedYourHead for example) could have done it, one doesn't need to have any idea about fashion history to talk about personal style or one's own understanding of fashion. Probably better not to actually, although the origin of high heels is fascinating. If easily Googled.

Necessity is the mother of all things! But I like sewing. The only downside is that if I ever find room again, then it is very easy to accidentally make entire wardrobes of things and end up with too much clothing.

Recently, I began to familiarize myself with the concept of a capsule wardrobe ...
    Minimalism is something I wish I could achieve properly - it is always so completely put together and present. However, the idea of a capsule wardrobe horrifies me a little, given that I was forced into one for many years. Perhaps at some point, but right now it is too constrained and I am not good at simply keeping to basics, even if I do have a reasonably tight set of matching options that I mix through for work (right now it is a blue pencil skirt, black stockings, ankle boots, Blue China pattern Liberty shirt, blue cardigan, blue 3/4 trench coat and dark lipstick). Although nowhere near as elegant sounding as yourself.

I picked some photos from my mid-twenties. As I said, I like changing :)
    I reiterate, you are most elegant even amongst all the changes. With an awesome forties vibe going on in some shots, as well as a more the more casual and work pieces. Most 'put together.'

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post
    I was just gonna come say that this thread might be less than effective without pictures. Shoulda known you'd start the trend @Procrastinator lol.

(Seriously tho. I don't know the name for basically any item of clothing that isn't a shirt or pants and I can't be totally alone in that, even on PM. What is a fashion thread without pictures. I know I'm not the only who wants to objectify Nemoris.)
    I have twelve whole pictures of me from the age of 18-30. So not very useful in terms of demonstrating fashion, and none of them are what I would call 'dressed up.' I'll go add in some to my post from my 30s, but they are not on my phone so it will be later. And Nemoris - if you know where to look for a picture of him here - I do believe is lovely.

Anyway, Enname didn't specify any particular standards of appearance, so I'm going to contribute by way of exploiting this loophole. I'm sure some of you know I've never put more than 10 seconds of thought into my overall vibe....
    Not a loophole, deliberate. It is why this is called 'fashion & STYLE.' Because style takes many forms, even if that is embracing the tracksuit and slipper as your personal statement, and I didn't want to exclude anyone on some sort of arbitrary judgement system. It seems you are so anti fashion you are almost certainly coming out at hipster :P

I appreciate the slippers. The commitment to them is quite determined, especially given how bad they can be for your feet and issues with water. Long may you continue that particular trend. And well, flip flops (thongs or jandles for the rest of the world) with socks is a venerable tradition in the far East. At least so I hear. XD
    Last edited by Enname; 11-07-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Finally a thread 4 me

What do you wear/What aesthetic do you follow in fashion?
    I think the core of my look is dark rock inspired but it moves a lot up and down in effort spent. Going from simple jeans + t shirt combos to more elaborate layered flowing outfits. All black or dark earthly colors. I don't mind spending money on quality garments that fits, feels, and lasts way better than fast fashion, an added plus is the knowledge that they're not crafted by child slaves in a third world country. Good accessories are important, classic discrete items is miles ahead huge flashy atrocities. I wear leather shoes on most days, dark sneakers on the off day when I'm lazy. Money invested in a pair of quality shoes is never a waste.

OOTD:

What do you wish you wore?
    Years have gone by and I'm still trying to find a cool large hat.

What trends do you love or hate?
    I hate sporty trends and those hipster trends where it seems like the goal is to look bad on purpose? What are you doing. Also from my experience the vast majority of men who wear a lot of color are psychopaths.

Do you have a favourite designer? Do you loathe designers and all who patronise them?
    Barbari Gongini is fucking amazing and I'm lucky that there's a store in my city that sells everything she does. McQueen, Galiano, and Ann Demeulemeester makes(made) fantastic womens fashion, not so much for men though. YSL is great and I bought a few pieces when I was more reckless with money but now I can't see myself spending that kind of money on clothes.

How does fashion or style allow you to be yourself?
    It allows me to present myself as the vengeful spirit that I am.

Do you use fashion as a way to blend in or differentiate from the group?
    Differentiate myself from larger society yes but blending in with the group of people I'd consider my peers, like wearing your teams colors to a sports game. There's real freedom in dressing the way you want and not following trends or what's safe.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    Minimalism is something I wish I could achieve properly - it is always so completely put together and present. However, the idea of a capsule wardrobe horrifies me a little, given that I was forced into one for many years. Perhaps at some point, but right now it is too constrained and I am not good at simply keeping to basics.....
    I have a rather small wardrobe at the moment and it saves me a lot of decision-making in the mornings (I spend 5 times longer on makeup than I do on getting dressed) although I do get bored wearing the same outfits. On the other hand, I don't want to expand it because I plan on losing weight. I do get what you're saying though- the minimalist appeal vs more variety. I think there could be some sort of a middle ground if one is very strategic with their shopping- some very good examples in this video.

I reiterate, you are most elegant even amongst all the changes. With an awesome forties vibe going on in some shots, as well as a more the more casual and work pieces. Most 'put together.'
    Thank you, you seem very well put together yourself. I dig your hair also- combined with your bold red lip it's like a distinct feature that makes you "you" and that's better that any clothing or accessory. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    Money invested in a pair of quality shoes is never a waste.
    Quoted for truth! I want to get a pair of 1460 Dr Martens for the winter, although I'm not so convinced of their longevity becasue my partner's pair started leaking and they split at the base only after a year of wear. I do like your boots though and the long drapey cardigan looks pretty cool.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    I have a rather small wardrobe at the moment and it saves me a lot of decision-making in the mornings (I spend 5 times longer on makeup than I do on getting dressed) although I do get bored wearing the same outfits. On the other hand, I don't want to expand it because I plan on losing weight. I do get what you're saying though- the minimalist appeal vs more variety. I think there could be some sort of a middle ground if one is very strategic with their shopping- some very good examples in this video.

She is good, but I find that I already do a lot of that. There is a core collection to my wardrobe that I wear routinely throughout the weeks and changes slightly according to season especially when it comes to work. However, I have other things that I will also wear when the mood strikes me, or I feel brave enough to pull it out and experiment with and I like them as inspiration for style change or to liven things up. Trying to keep it set to a certain number of pieces, or colours or ... textures would only be painful (the idea of charting anything makes me want to cry). But I do 'weed' my wardrobe on a semi regular basis to make sure that everything is being used, even if not weekly.

Ahha, dressing and makeup need to take place in fifteen or ten minutes max, usually in the dark. So... :) And this is where having stable options does help.

I gave up losing weight years ago. Better to have a wardrobe I like that fits and doesn't remind me every day that I am overweight.

Thank you, you seem very well put together yourself. I dig your hair also- combined with your bold red lip it's like a distinct feature that makes you "you" and that's better that any clothing or accessory. :)
    There's a worry - am I no longer me without lipstick? :P Clothing does wonders for not getting arrested though, so it has its place!

Quoted for truth! I want to get a pair of 1460 Dr Martens for the winter, although I'm not so convinced of their longevity becasue my partner's pair started leaking and they split at the base only after a year of wear.
    I find the production values of modern Dr Martens to be hit and miss - sometimes they are good, and sometimes it is like they were glued together with spit alone. My two remaining pairs from the 90s are still running strong, but when comparing them to my friends' Docs, there is a noticeable shift in leather and stitching quality. I'd say shop around and make sure you see them before buying them.

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post