Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: [Req] Can we get search indexing turned off or down?

Default [Req] Can we get search indexing turned off or down?

I have a bookmark with custom parameters for search.php to return specific results. I'm pretty sure this is basically the most distilled I can get it. It only has one parameter more than the forums "Today's Posts" Quick Link, only because the forum doesn't move super fast so it seems more useful to have more than 1 day in there.

Code:
    http://www.providermodule.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=7&contenttype=vBForum_Post
    And this, ideally, should give me search results of every thread with any activity in the last 7 days, sorted by the latest posts. I used all parameters I found in search.php source code in "vb_search_params"

Problem: There is some server side caching or session tracking or something that really makes this impossible. When I go to the bookmark, it works perfectly the first time, it'll say "Search took 0.02 seconds" or whatever. It will also create a new "searchid" and send me to that URL, like "http://www.providermodule.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1234" All of this is fine so far.

But any time I go to that specific bookmark again (not the searchid= page) I will get sent back to the cached version from earlier. Meaning for example if I go to my bookmarked custom URL 2 times in 1 hour, I will get sent to the same ?searchid=1234 which is very frustrating. It'll say something like "Search took 0.02 seconds; generated XX minute(s) ago." now. There is no combination of search.php parameters that doesn't save a cached search for a crazy long time after you try it once. I can't bypass it so I'm giving up and asking here. I have tried about 1,000 different times. I even clicked the New Posts thread at the top of the page earlier and it was 25m+ old. I've seen searches stay cached for crazy amounts of time.

And then sometimes after the cache times out, the links like 'New Posts' will continue to return that old searchid as a result, but you'll just get "No New Posts" and nothing else on the page.

I did some research on it recently and it's definitely caching searches and serving up the same old results to people who search the same thing in a certain time period. It seems like there should be a command to show all the posts on the forum that doesn't need to go through search.php, but I guess that's a vBulletin issue. And from everything I've read, do=getnew and do=getdaily are supposed to bypass the search indexing.

I know this is possible to fix because I use another vBulletin forum with the same version and everything, and while that forum creates a searchid after every search like normal, it doesn't reuse the same searchid even if I click the same bookmark again. It rebuilds the search and gives out up to date results.

I've spoken to other people who find this sort of annoying as well. I don't want to ask for anything insane or custom just for me and I'm not sure if this is set this way for a reason, but I feel like even just bypassing the search cache/setting it to renew after 5m with just that one URL I posted would be sufficient if possible. In the past 7 days, there has only been 45 new threads so it's not going to be immense strain on the server or anything. Or maybe you could add a 'nocache=1' flag for the few of us who care to enable something like that?
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

But any time I go to that specific bookmark again (not the searchid= page) I will get sent back to the cached version from earlier. Meaning for example if I go to my bookmarked custom URL 2 times in 1 hour, I will get sent to the same ?searchid=1234 which is very frustrating. It'll say something like "Search took 0.02 seconds; generated XX minute(s) ago." now. There is no combination of search.php parameters that doesn't save a cached search for a crazy long time after you try it once. I can't bypass it so I'm giving up and asking here. I have tried about 1,000 different times. I even clicked the New Posts thread at the top of the page earlier and it was 25m+ old. I've seen searches stay cached for crazy amounts of time.

And then sometimes after the cache times out, the links like 'New Posts' will continue to return that old searchid as a result, but you'll just get "No New Posts" and nothing else on the page
    To the point the other day that it threw up search results cached from seven months ago. Even if I am marking the forum as 'read all', they still appear.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

I hacked together a client side workaround that doesn't require any cooperation from the server or admins. So PM me if anybody wants to be able to see current search results.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post