Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Music from Your Teenage Years

Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

Default Music from Your Teenage Years

Jump on in and get past-blasted with some tunes that were all your teenage rage! Tell us what you were listening to when you were a teen and who or what brought your attention to a specific band or song. Do you still listen to the same music or has your taste changed drastically changed?

I'll start to get the ball rolling. At age 13, I was primarily listening to Eminem. He had just released his Marshall Mathers LP at the time and it was everywhere. I still like this album though not on my playlist these days. Hard to pick a favourite track from it too, so I'll just go with the first one that comes to mind:

Another album I was listening to a lot as a teen was Load by Metallica. Had it on cassette at the time, it's probablhy in a box somewhere in my childhood home so should probably get a copy on vinyl. Again, hard to pick a favourite track so here's one that speaks to me:

Next up on the list is no other than His Infernal Majesty. Needless to say, I was mercilessly ridiculed for listening to H.I.M. because apparently they were "gay" or something. But whatever man, they just don't get it.

At this point, the alcohol has kicked in so i can't be bothered to speak of the next artist so I'll just post a few more videos and possibly add more to my post a bit later. Enjoy:

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Hmm. I rather overly relied on one or two sources in my teenage years due to living in a place with no radio or TV access. Basically it was whatever my cousin could get me and my parents' taste in music. A few other things filtered in towards my late teens, but probably didn't get much rotation until my twenties. I guess it hasn't changed all that much since then, only become more diverse in terms of genre, language and background. There has also been better filling out of categories and adding more general stuff that I should have known: The Beatles, Madonna, Kylie Mingoue, Iggy and other artists that I would have heard on the radio but didn't and had no means to get hold of recordings. Life, gotta love the opportunity for exploration.

So the following covers what was on high rotation between the ages of 13-17:

Most obvious of all is Marilyn Manson, being what shaped most of my teenage years and well, life. Thanks cuz.

Einsturzende Neubauten
    Nine Inch Nails
    Ministry
    Skinny Puppy
    Rammstein
    Die Artze
    Cabaret Voltaire
    Depeche Mode
    Funker Vogt
    Jack off Jill
    Pop Will Eat Itself
    Tool

Sisters of Mercy
    The Mission
    Siouxie and the Banshees
    The Cure
    Bauhaus
    Fields of the Nephilim
    Bauhaus
    Dead Can Dance
    Alien Sex Fiend
    The Church
    Clan of Xymox
    Faith and the Muse
    Joy Division
    London After Midnight
    Switchblade Symphony

Diamanda Galas
    Tom Waits
    Nick Cave and the Badseeds
    The Birthday Party
    Alice in Chains (hi, still adore you)
    Nirvana
    PJ Harvey
    David Bowie
    Concrete Blonde
    Pixies
    The Smiths
    Guns 'n Roses
    Metallica (Ride the Lightning and a lot of their live material)
    Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple (I blame my dad)
    The Whitlams (local band, kind of the entirety of the early 90s was sound tracked to them whether you liked it or not)
    No Doubt
    Mr Bungle
    Machine Gun Fellatio
    TISM (omg I love TISM, how could I forget???)
    Faith no More
    Hole
    Jeff Buckley

Classical is hard as it was the primary interest of my parents and I have listened to so much of it for so long that to even compile a list for my teens would probably hit the word count. So...
    Bach, a lot of Bach, in particular: the Goldberg Variations, sonatas and partitias for violin.
    Mozart, of which I am utterly and completely and continuously obsessed by his Requiem.
    Beethoven
    Schubert
    Mendelsohn
    Cage (Metamorphosis for Piano)
    Arvo Part
    Debussy
    Byrd
    Scarlatti
    Franck
    Smetner
    Lizst
    Chopin
    Bizet
    Ravel
    Prokofiev
    Tschaikovsky
    Shostakovich
    Bartok
    Britten

Wanda Jackson
    Otis Redding
    Louis Armstrong
    Roy Orbison
    Neil Young
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Billie Holiday
    Edith Piaf
    Miles Davis
    Thelonius Monk
    Nina Simone
    Etta James

Many Blues singers from the early 20th century and also German Weimar period stuff that I won't list.
    Last edited by Enname; 11-12-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.