Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adware

Default Adware

This is the second computer (different IP addresses) that I have had this warning from:

And yesterday my malware/anti virus software was absolutely hammered with blocking at least three different types of adware attempting to connect/infect my browser every time I loaded PM.

I think there is a problem here.
    Last edited by Enname; 12-17-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    (TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

^ uh huh
    Same experience + the most awful lagging that literally used to not exist :(
    . . the fear takes hold

I made Cringeon aware of this a week ago. He never responded or made any announcement so it seems safe to say that there isn't a problem because it's been placed here on purpose. More websites are doing this lately, but the general rule is that if a website blasts up your CPU usage to mine BTC without explicitly informing you then they should not be trusted.

Anybody feel free to message me if you'd like to know the best way to block this from running.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

There appears to be an exploit in the chat box script. Closing it until it can be fixed.

Edit: Should be removed but until I can make sure it’s patched, chat will stay closed.

I could block it, but it was getting worse by the hour and starting to trigger my work place's security.

Thanks Cringeon.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Wait, so you knowingly let an unknown hostile script run constantly on hundreds of people's PCs for a week without a single peep until it was mentioned publicly at which point you were somehow able to get it figured out in no time at all? And that's supposed to be a better excuse than just saying you wanted to make a few extra bucks by remotely hijacking the computers of every user who visits your website?

Shocking that the cause of the infection happened to be the specific component used mainly by the person who publicly called out the staff lmao. Perhaps instead of a one sentence non-explanation, surely there's some documentation around the internet detailing this specific exploit that you could share with the users so they can all know specifically what went on.

  
      

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

The script was removed a week ago, but was reinjected via the VSA chatbox. The info as it relates to Vbulletin did not have a proper patch available, nor was I able to narrow down the source of code that was used in the exploit (this particular one is affected a large number of forums on the internet). I’ve been scouring the code, and researching other sites with similar or same issues to determine the best fix. The chat code we’ve been using for years is a 3rd party add on and while VB have patches I’m running today - it would not fix the chat issue.

We have never ran ads, nor asked for donations to run this site, and some malicious adware is not something we would ever consider. I will work to get it fixed as soon as possible.

If you need a step by step, on Dec 10th the code was reported and appeared in the change logs I run (this is also the date it started to hit other forums as it’s not isolated to PM specifically). That day the code was purged and I ran some updates to hopefully fix the issue. This thread alerted me that it had returned, and I have again removed the code and by this time more info has been shared that helped me narrow it down to an exploit in 3rd party add ons. Hopefully it’s all taken care shortly.

Cheers.

11. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

I guess I was in a pretty bitchy mood the other night, which is difficult for me to even believe. Thanks for the legitimate response, after some more research it seems like you're telling the truth and I was just being an asshole. There wasn't a ton about it online when it first appeared but it's starting to pick up a bit more attention now I noticed.

  
      

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Whenever I visit PM I get alert messages from my Anti Virus program! 'PUAJ Scoinminer'- whatever it is I managed to get rid of it! @Cringeon can you please explain?!
    Last edited by Vertigo; 12-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Damn, prob need to close the chat again. Thanks for the alert. Should be removed now.