Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pogo didn't contribute to POAAF?

Default Pogo didn't contribute to POAAF?

Reading Provider Modules biography section on members I noticed that where it talks about how Pogo didn't create or contribute to Eat me Drink me, and that it had been the first to not include him since Portrait of an american family. I could have sworn Pogo played a couple of instruments on that record such as Mellotron/ Calliope, Theremin, Synth and Sampling as well as some percussion. I also know he contributed to one song on Golden Age of Grotesque although he wasn't given credit for it.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

yeah EMDM was the first album he didn’t contribute to. He contributed on POAAF - LWF.

I'm sure Pogo did a lot on POAAF, and TGAOG. As for EMDM, it was all Skold.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

From what I recall from past interviews, it sounded like Pogo started backing off from involvement a little even during the GAOG sessions. He was definitely involved, but I seem to remember there being talk of a lot of synth work on that album being written by Manson and Skold.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Yeah Pogo is actually over credited on TGAOG and MM is possibly under credited.

I always thought Manson did nearly all the keys on GAOG.

Quote Originally Posted by 303 View Post
    I always thought Manson did nearly all the keys on GAOG.
    I always thought Skold did all the keys. At least him and Pogo but who knows.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

I remember reading in an interview where Manson said he did play keyboard on The Golden Age of Grotesque and that Pogo didn't start showing up again until the album was finished and it was time to start shooting the music video for mOBSCENE.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

During the various occasions Manson spoke to Alex last decade - both whilst Pogo was still nominally a band member and after - he made his thoughts pretty crystal clear on Pogo's role in the band, and what may have contributed to his leaving:-

"I want to see Pogo's ideas, his photography that no one knows about; his musical sequence of twenty-or-so keyboards tied together in a chain that's been playing for over a year broadcast on the internet, so people can inform or entertain themselves whenever they feel like it."
    MM - 2005

"It's a strange circumstance. We've been in a weird position as friends, knowing each other for so long. I haven't spoken to him in quite some time. Essentially he has a lot of personal issues that I don't necessarily understand or can define. It's not my place to."
    MM - 2007

"He must really have some reason to dislike me that I don't think has anything to do with money. I don't know because I haven't talked to him since October 31st of last year [2007]*. I think he really crossed the line in a way that truly makes me sad, because I didn't ask for this relationship between him and I to turn out this way. I don't know what he's thinking because he stopped communicating with me so I can't explain it. I'm not going to assume and I'm not going to suggest. I just want people to know that whether he likes to admit it or not, he did not return my phone calls. I was paying his phone bill, I saw the bills so I know that his phone was working. I don't know what he was thinking. I just know he was not in the dark about the record being made. For example, we did an interview months and months before the record and to allege that we did it secretly is absurd."

Another excerpt from 2008 gives a unique insight into some of what has been discussed here:-

"He's participated, but unfortunately he did not play the keyboards on The Golden Age Of Grotesque, I did. It wasn't because I wanted to. It was because even then for whatever reason... I can't explain it because I can't speak for him. He didn't want to be there, or wasn't there. I'm not trying to take credit for it as much as saying I was inspired, I had a good time and I liked playing the keyboards. I don't want to be a keyboard player though.
    I don't really have a way to explain the situation other than it caught me very much by surprise. All I can say is, I assure people that at no point in our entire relationship as friends or as professionals, did I ever, ever take or hold anything, or spend his money. It couldn't be more the opposite. It's just sad that I would have done anything for the guy and I really don't know why he decided to stab me in the back."
    MM - 2008

Later again he offered the following:-

"[Pogo] never heard EAT ME, DRINK ME. I remember calling and being like, 'Hey, we're remixing the record in a week or so. I really want you to come over and play on it or at least hear it.'
    'Hey we're doing album artwork and we can't do a band photo since you decided not to respond.'
    Then even up to the point of 'Hey, we're doing the video.'
    No phone call. So, you know, it wasn't my choice. As much as everyone likes to think I'm a dick, and I am, but I wasn't a dick to him."

Considering all of this was from interviews with a fan site, Manson was probably more at liberty to speak freely, he still doesn't say anything libelous, and manages to explain his concise perspective with clarity. There may be professional relationships that have broken down in Marilyn Manson's career, some of them more acrimonious than others, but this has never sounded like one of them.
    It's still not really any of our business, but on these occasions Manson saw fit to answer direct questions, and one can only surmise that Pogo's miserable, hateful attitude whenever anyone manages to get him online is indicative of what is described above, even after all this time.
    That last part also implies that had Pogo been on board, EAT ME, DRINK ME might not have broken the trend of group photography or the Manson 'band' having an identity for its promo. I know it's a more personal, Manson-centric record characteristically, but maybe Manson was put off by the idea of consolidating a band after this experience, and has since chosen to focus on his relationship with a lead songwriter for each record.

Incidentally yes, what Norsefire says is correct, the biography is meant to imply that Pogo was a recording member of Marilyn Manson from Portrait Of An American Family until Lest We Forget, and then This Is Halloween before his permanent absence prior to the EAT ME, DRINK ME sessions.

*The 2007 excerpts were from May of that year, meaning that their communication must have broken down between this point and Halloween.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post

"He must really have some reason to dislike me that I don't think has anything to do with money. I don't know because I haven't talked to him since October 31st of last year [2007]*.
    I always was kind of confused about this. This was definitely referring to Halloween of 2007? Because by that point the band was on tour and Pogo was replaced by Chris Vrenna. I thought he was referring to Halloween 2006 which is when they performed on The Tonight Show and then he hadn't heard from Pogo since then.