Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Module Makeup and Beauty

Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

Default Module Makeup and Beauty

This is a thread to discuss all things beauty related, and seek or share help, advice and useful information. Feel free to talk skincare, cosmetics, fragrance, hair, nails, etc. I'm going to focus on skincare and makeup because I spend a considerate amount on both in my daily life, plus I'm somewhat of a cosmetics junkie. :P

So, tell us how vain you are! What is your skincare/makeup routine if you have one at all and how seriously do you take this sort of thing? Do you invest in beauty products or do you think they are a waste of time/money? Do you research certain things, follow trends, reviews and beauty bloggers/YouTubers? Are you loyal to a particular brand or do you like experimenting/trying new products? If you wear makeup, why do you wear it and what purpose do you think it should be worn for? If you have a collection of a certain type, feel free to post photos also! :D

My morning routine starts with a facial cleanser. I let my skin dry naturally while I indulge in a cup of coffee and cigarette. Then I apply a moisturizer with SPF, let it sit for a few minutes and then the makeup application begins: I start with a primer, then foundation over the entire face. After this I apply concealer under my eyes and after setting it, I also set the rest of my face with a translucent loose powder. I would apply a bit of blush for colour (I don't bother with contour, highlight or bronzer) and then use that same blush in the crease of my eyelids because I don't normally have time for eyeshadow. Next are brows- I fill in the gaps with a skinny pencil (Brow Wiz by Anastasia Beverly Hills is bomb) and then I go over the hairs with a tinted brow gel to set them and create an overall fuller look. After my brows are done, I spritz with a setting mist and then move onto eyeliner (only in the roots of my upper lashes) and mascara. I'm always too scared that the spray might smudge the liner/mascara, lol. My daily lipstick is a rather neutral shade which I normally apply on my way to work.

In the evening, I remove my eye makeup with micellar water and then massage my entire face with a cleansing balm which also gets rid of any leftover eye makeup. Then I wash with a cleanser and afterwards I would switch between a BHA exfoliant/gel or serum and then apply a night moisturizer. In hot weather I skip the moisturizer unless my skin feels dry. Once or twice a week I'd slap a cleansing mask on and in the winter, I'd follow with an overnight hydrating mask.

To answer my own questions, I do think it's worth investing in quality beauty products however the downside is that it takes a lot of trial and error until you find what works best for you. Not to mention trying new things- this is not budget friendly at all. Luckily in recent years, there has been a tremendous improvement in quality and variety of shades among affordable cosmetic brands so as long as you know where to splurge and where to save, it's all good. Below is a very useful video on the subject:

Overall, I have learned a lot about makeup application and techniques from Wayne Goss. Apart from him, I occasionally watch Tati's videos but that's about it. Beauty blogs are a pass for me, unless I'm on the hunt for reviews of a particular product. In general, Beautipedia is a very good source for reviews as products are rated by skincare experts Paula's Choice (my most trusted skincare brand), based on ingredients and formulation.

If anyone has any questions or wants me to expand more on certain things, fire away!

This is my makeup collection, mostly basics. I do plan on expanding it but will probably need to sort more storage space first. If anyone is interested, I can also post a list of the items in there/swatches of my eyeshadows and lipsticks. :)

How vain am I? Maybe other people should be the judge.

I have two settings: all makeup, or no makeup. There is not much in between, mostly because I don't see the point. I either enjoy playing around with colour and textures, or I don't. Nude and bare makeup looks seem to defeat the purpose, and I am essentially lazy at heart.

My skincare and makeup routine are pretty simple. My skin is extraordinarily dry except for where it is terribly oily. So the less I use the better, and if I want eyeshadow to stay then a primer is not optional (NARS - there is no other). I get up in the morning and apply sunscreen (50+) because I live in Australia and not doing so is a fast track pass to skin cancer. Then I throw on a tiny amount of foundation (it will be gone by the afternoon anyway), conceal under my eyes, apply eye primer in order to fix the eyeshadow/eye liner of choice, a lick of mascara (my eyelashes are oddly pale), throw some eyeshadow onto a brush to do something to my brows, clean teeth and lipstick of choice. The whole lot takes about 10 minutes maximum and usually in the dark. Given that I am also marvellously blind, I have to do all of this about a centimetre from the mirror anyway so light is not an issue. In summer I skip the steps between eyeshadow and sunscreen. It is so hot that all attempts at foundation or powder will melt off anyway.

At the end of the day I use an oil based remover (Tatra) to get rid of remaining makeup (micellar water dries my skin out badly), then wash my face in the shower with a non soap face wash, and moisturize to stop the cracking. I have also been known to not bother removing my makeup at all and simply washing my pillow case later on down the road.

Having said all of this, you can see that I own a fair amount of makeup. Particularly in the lipstick (there are still about seven missing from there - they are in my bag or scattered in the bathroom) region and the eyeshadow line. Oops. I have reigned it in though and am managing to avoid accruing new items by simply staying off the internet and not looking for new things!

Once I stopped laughing at Wayne Goss' name (Wayne Goss was the premier of Queensland during the 1980s, and definitely not this one!), it seems that I concur pretty much with his approach. I do however spend more money on eyeshadow, because good pigment? With fine milled powder? Hard to pass up. I have there the bigger Viseart pallettes which are so, so amazing in terms of pigment and texture (and I have to stop buying more as they release colours), Rouge Bunny Rouge who do amazing shades that are very hard to define (Russian company), a fair amount of MAC as they are a good staple, the three minutes that YSL did okay eye shadow (not now!), Guerlain because a few of their special releases have an amazing blue and metallic burnt red... and odds and sods. And Chanel because they still do the best blue out there, and I LOVE blue eyeshadow. And yellow. And red. And... yeh. The bag of 'others' would not fit on the bed easily so that is another time.

In terms of lipstick, most of these are variant shades of red, red, more red, orange, pink and red again. I am not allowed near the colour pop website, and at least one of my favourites is Rimmel and cost me nothing. Smashbox eyeliner pens are amazing, but so are the ones at K-mart. The one I wear the most for work and almost everything in life is NARS Shanghai Express, but it comes a close second to the MAC Diva. The third most common one I have had for 17 years (given by an aunt) and it is discontinued. I am refusing to face this issue.

Foundations are ones that are pale enough and stay on my skin well. This is a tricky combination, so I don't ever really experiment around with them until forced to.

I will sometimes go and look at new trends, but by and large I don't like them - I don't want to be bronzed (it is a hilarious sight!), I loathe instagram eyebrows, contouring takes too long and why hide that I have no chin? There is always a tendency towards nudes, and neutrals and other things that look terrible on me. What I am looking for is colour combinations, new and interesting ways of doing tones and different looks. So usually I am searching for that rather than one person. I follow is many, many perfume blogs and so often I'll find things off their pages and follow it up there. One of these is The Non Blonde, who swatches a fair whack of palettes that I might otherwise not have heard of or seen. I also rather like Lisa Eldridge's youtube tutorials and guides for different make up. She is no nonsense and provides a lot of non trendy options that are affordable. There is also an Australian youtuber I sometimes watch as she does the most gorgeous eyeshadow and uses things that I can get in this country (Wayne Goss, I am looking at you!). I'll see if I can compile a list later on if people are interested. I do like fashion makeup as well, some of the colour combinations are beautiful. So.... as you can see, I adore colour!

Makeup for me is basically getting to mess around in colour, painting my face. It also means I get to wear colours I can't normally as I can change my skin tone and base to be bright enough to wear things like white or blues.

So questions:

What colour lipstick do you see as neutral?
    What eye shadows do you use when you have the time (and I am thinking also of the green in your avatar)
    What is dressed up makeup for you?
    How do you decide which masks to use for your skin?
    What has been your biggest mistake in makeup?
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    I have two settings: all makeup, or no makeup. There is not much in between, mostly because I don't see the point. I either enjoy playing around with colour and textures, or I don't. Nude and bare makeup looks seem to defeat the purpose, and I am essentially lazy at heart.
    I think this is where you and I differentiate, because my purpose of wearing makeup on a daily basis is to hide imperfections I'm not comfortable with and to have an overall "polished look" for work without looking overdone. There have been one or two occasions where I showed up to work completely bare faced and co-workers have told me I didn't look too different without makeup on but to me, the difference is huge.

I have also been known to not bother removing my makeup at all and simply washing my pillow case later on down the road.
    I'm guilty of this too, either when I'm really exhausted or drunk. However I do my best to avoid sleeping with makeup on because (apart from the usual consequences) my eyelashes have a tendency to fall out if I leave the mascara on overnight.

I do however spend more money on eyeshadow, because good pigment? With fine milled powder? Hard to pass up. I have there the bigger Viseart pallettes which are so, so amazing in terms of pigment and texture (and I have to stop buying more as they release colours), Rouge Bunny Rouge who do amazing shades that are very hard to define (Russian company), a fair amount of MAC as they are a good staple, the three minutes that YSL did okay eye shadow (not now!), Guerlain because a few of their special releases have an amazing blue and metallic burnt red... and odds and sods. And Chanel because they still do the best blue out there, and I LOVE blue eyeshadow.
    I recognized the Viseart palettes in the pile straight away! I was thinking of getting the Neutral Mattes one but I bought the Kat Von D Shade and Light instead for two reasons: price and shade variety within the pallette, also no black in the Viseart one. I hear they are very good quality though so I might snatch the Dark Mattes palette. With the Kat Von D pallette, you basically get three eyeshadow quads and each one has neutral, cool and warm browns. Also the top middle pan makes for a great contour shade:

So to answer one of your questions here, these are the eyeshadows I wear when I have time (not all of them at once, of course). My favourite shades are the top right one all over the lid and the rusty one next to the white in the crease. A little bit of black in the outer corner for added depth and then maybe some white under the brows/inner corner. Another eye look I like to do is a milder version of this:

No falsies and no liner on the lower lid. I'd smudge and blend the eyeliner with the shadow for a smooth transition between black and the cool brown/greyish shade I like to use for this look. It's the second one from left to right in the swatch below. This is the rest of my eyeshadows by the way (apart from the green liquid one)

The first swatch on the left is my one and only blush (Harmony by MAC). The second is Faux Fur by Makeup Geek and the third and fourth are single eyeshadow pans I bought from Primark. The last two are new additions to my collection and I haven't worn the coral shade yet.

I have heard both good and bad things about MAC eyeshadows and beauty reviewers tend to say that brands like Makeup Geek and Inglot are the same quality but at a lower price. I like how they sell single pans so that you don't have to commit to buying an entire palette just because you like two or three shades in it. I know that MAC also sells single pans and empty palettes but if I can get the something good for less money then I wouldn't bother with MAC. Speaking of, here in the UK they keep upping their prices on products once every six months or so which is annoying but at least they have the Back 2 MAC initiative which I love because well, who doesn't love free MAC lipstick? I love how it smells and the Amplified Creme formulas are amaze! Here are all the lipsticks I own:

As you can see from the photo, the first four are the ones I refer to as "neutral". They are just shades that are toned down pinks with brown and orange in them and I wear for work. From left to right: Kinda Sexy by MAC, Mocha by MAC (my current favourite), Burnt Caramel by Max Factor, Cosmo by MAC, Outlaw by Kat Von D (liquid formula) and Dubonnet by MAC. Although the picture doesn't do it justice, Dubonnet is my perfect red because it's a warm colour, it's not too bright and not too dark. I haven't tried Diva but it's on my wishlist along with many others, haha.

The third most common one I have had for 17 years (given by an aunt) and it is discontinued. I am refusing to face this issue.
    :O Have you tried finding a dupe for it?

Foundations are ones that are pale enough and stay on my skin well. This is a tricky combination, so I don't ever really experiment around with them until forced to.
    I'd recommend looking at professional brands such as RCMA, Kett and Makeup Atelier Paris as they tend to have a huge variety of shades. Especially RCMA as their cream foundations have been created for filma and television, to suit all imaginable races on the planet. The downside however is that these cream foundations have extremely high coverage and you need a foundation thinner if you don't want to look like a cake.

I also rather like Lisa Eldridge's youtube tutorials and guides for different make up. She is no nonsense and provides a lot of non trendy options that are affordable.
    She is good, yes. I don't watch her videos much though because a) they tend to be lenghty and with a slow pace so I lose focus and b) they are mostly tutorials for certain looks and I mostly look for techniques and product reviews.

There is also an Australian youtuber I sometimes watch as she does the most gorgeous eyeshadow and uses things that I can get in this country (Wayne Goss, I am looking at you!). I'll see if I can compile a list later on if people are interested. I do like fashion makeup as well, some of the colour combinations are beautiful. So.... as you can see, I adore colour!
    Do share! And yes, I admire colourful makeup looks but I guess I'm not brave enough to try them myself. I do plan on getting a palette of face paints to play around with though. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be as advanced as this lady here:

So questions:

What is dressed up makeup for you?
    How do you decide which masks to use for your skin?
    What has been your biggest mistake in makeup?
    Dressed up makeup? I'd say a more elaborate eye look compared to my everyday one, maybe a bit more foundation and some light contour under the cheekbones. Also, I love "bake-touring" as an extra step.

I decide on masks based on my skin's needs. If I feel like it needs some extra cleansing I use a cleansing one. If my skin feels tight and dry I will use an overnight hydrating one as the last step in my night time routine. I imagine there are a lot of different ones on the market also, and I view facial masks as a little extra boost to daily skincare so I'd get a product that would complement my daily products. I'm not sure how else to answer your question- were you asking what brands I use?

My biggest mistake in makeup is probably not getting the right foundation shade and not setting my foundation earlier on in life. I also let someone use my mascara once- my eyes were itchy and teary all day after this. In terms of purchase mistakes, I snatched some "MAC" makeup on eBay once, haha!

Enname, I forgot to ask- what brand of SPF50 moisturizer do you use and do they carry an alternative for normal to combination skin?
    Last edited by Procrastinator; 12-31-2017 at 01:01 PM.

5. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

My morning routine:

- Shower.
    - Day cream.
    - Eye shadow, mascara and eye liner.
    - A little blush.
    - Check brows for wild growing hair.
    and them I do something with my hair - Pony tail or bun or whatever I feel like.

I never really use all the bright color eye shadows.

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonia View Post
    My morning routine:

- Shower.
    - Day cream.
    - Eye shadow, mascara and eye liner.
    - A little blush.
    - Check brows for wild growing hair.
    and them I do something with my hair - Pony tail or bun or whatever I feel like.

I never really use all the bright color eye shadows.
    Good to see you are set for bright colours should you need them! What brands are the palettes? :)

Nice dressing table layout as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
    I think this is where you and I differentiate, because my purpose of wearing makeup on a daily basis is to hide imperfections I'm not comfortable with and to have an overall "polished look" for work without looking overdone.
    Indeed we do, and long may there be variety. Part of my problem is that I am incredibly lazy, and well. My imperfections are so many that if I tried to cover them all I would never leave the house, or simply need a bag over my head. I do look very different without makeup on (duller, blander, etc) but eh. So over done is my space I guess! Mostly because I can never manage polished or elegant. Trying only ever leads to disappointment.

I recognized the Viseart palettes in the pile straight away! I was thinking of getting the Neutral Mattes one but I bought the Kat Von D Shade and Light instead for two reasons: price and shade variety within the pallette, also no black in the Viseart one.
    In the neutral mattes? Hmm. The brown in it is so dark it is almost black and I rather like its warmth. However, I use the warm metallic one more than the neutral matte and it has the black. They are lovely quality and the pigmentation is ridiculous. Says me who is currently trying to get an incredibly vibrant blue out of the carpet because it fell off my brush - stains like paint.

The Kat Von D looks good for something easier to travel with actually and the black is a nice strong one. Except I have quite pigmented eyelids/deep creases and so neutrals tend to vanish when my glasses go on. If I am not wearing contacts I need to wear darker shades to simply look like I put anything on. Annoying!

The last two are new additions to my collection and I haven't worn the coral shade yet.
    The coral shade looks really pretty.

I have heard both good and bad things about MAC eyeshadows and beauty reviewers tend to say that brands like Makeup Geek and Inglot are the same quality but at a lower price. I like how they sell single pans so that you don't have to commit to buying an entire palette just because you like two or three shades in it. I know that MAC also sells single pans and empty palettes but if I can get the something good for less money then I wouldn't bother with MAC.
    They are hit and miss. When they are good they are very, very good, and when they are bad ... omg they are truly horrendous. Never buy them untested would be my advice. The ones I have (with the exception of one particular bronze) are ones that I have owned for decades, and replenish. In particular the cranberry/pinkish ones, and particular green shade that is not in the photo. The thing with Makeup Geek and Inglot is that by the time I pay for postage on them they are almost the same price as MAC anyway, and I am taking a guess on the colour. Will get around to trying a couple though, but most of them are ... too neutral. When I already have a fairly solid group of those.

Free MAC lipstick is always the best MAC lipstick.

Dubonnet is my perfect red because it's a warm colour, it's not too bright and not too dark. I haven't tried Diva but it's on my wishlist along with many others, haha.
    I've not seen Dubonnet, but it looks lovely. Might have to go at least see it in person. Diva is an interesting one. The colour it becomes depends entirely on your lip tone and how it relates to it. For some people it is really red, others it is almost too strong a black purple. I have a very dark base lip so it pulls into a burgundy purple for me that I find it is hard to replicate with any other lipstick. One of the few of the purple end that I can wear without looking like a zombie. It is quite drying though and refuses to sit properly while managing to stain everything in sight. Personally I like how it looks as it feathers off (and how it reveals a real burgundy), but I am aware I might be in a minority in this. Worth trying though!

:O Have you tried finding a dupe for it?
    Yes, but it was never popular or interesting enough to actually sell much let alone dupe. Reduced to stalking ebay in the hopes that someone puts it up before I scrape the barrel clean.

I'd recommend looking at professional brands such as RCMA, Kett and Makeup Atelier Paris as they tend to have a huge variety of shades. Especially RCMA as their cream foundations have been created for filma and television, to suit all imaginable races on the planet.
    I'll have a look and experiment.

She is good, yes. I don't watch her videos much though because a) they tend to be lenghty and with a slow pace so I lose focus and b) they are mostly tutorials for certain looks and I mostly look for techniques and product reviews.
    Ha! I skip through to the bits I need, and if I am watching her then I am looking specifically for certain looks to try varying up my own a bit. Or because I need a historically accurate rendition of the 70s/20s/30s for some event and she does her research well. Gotta respect that.

Do share!
    When I have the internet back to working at home and am not doing this on a phone! Linking is a bit of a chore at the moment.

Also, I love "bake-touring" as an extra step.
    You have my admiration, I opt out before I get anywhere near that sort of technique. Mostly because I look exactly the same level of horrid before and after. My face is not really helped by contouring or touring. Beyond salvation on the interesting structure front!

Enname, I forgot to ask- what brand of SPF50 moisturizer do you use and do they carry an alternative for normal to combination skin?
    I use straight up sunscreen, not moisturiser. I've not found a single 'moisturiser' that can cope with the intensity of the sun and I am not going to risk it anymore (the Paula's choice one needed reapplication every hour!). The one I tend to use for my face is a Nivea 'face/hands' one - it dries quite matte, it isn't too heavy or greasy and sits well under makeup. Can also double time on arms and legs. Doesn't trigger my skin which is definitely combination. It does have scent though, but not of 'sunscreen' which is an advantage I guess. Is also affordable, unlike a lot of the 'high end' ones bloggers recommend. The other one I use might only be available here, I'd need to check.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

@Enname

I love the table. It's an old card table, my grandmother gave it to me before she died. She and her grandmother used to sit at it while playing cards <3

One is this and the other one is "shimmer".