Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Church Of Satan clarifies Marilyn Mansonís role

Default The Church Of Satan clarifies Marilyn Mansonís role

Is he really "ordained"?

The Church Of Satan has spoken out on Marilyn Manson‘s role within within their religion – revealing that he is not in fact an ordained minister.

The ‘God Of Fuck’ once wrote in his 1998 autobiography The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell that founder Anton Szandor LaVey once certified him “as a minister in the Church of Satan” in 1994, while on tour with Nine Inch Nails.

“Near the end of our visit, he said, ‘I want to make you a Reverend,’ and gave me a crimson card certifying me as a minister in the Church of Satan,” said Manson. “It was like an honorary degree from a university.”

“As I left, LaVey put a bony hand on my shoulder, and, as it lay there coldly, he said, ‘You’re gonna make a big dent. You’re going to make an impression on the world.’”

Now, the Church have responded to this piece of rock n’ roll folklore – denying that the was ordained.

“Almost 30 years ago, he was given an honorary priesthood for his real world accomplishments at the time,” they said. “This is not ‘ordained’ nor is it related to anything he might say decades later.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/churc...s-role-2370035
    Chillin' Killin'

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I don't think Marilyn Manson or anyone else who isn't in that fruity little club really gives a fuck about it any more. It's 2018.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Wait, how is this news? Manson always said it wasn’t an official title within that organizarion, just an honorary title. Manson was never a member in any real capacity and didn’t associate with them once Anton died. Seems like non news to me.

From 2007 interview with P. Gilmore, current head of CoS:

DS: Marilyn Manson is a member?

PG: Yes, he’s a member who has been given an honorary priesthood. When asked about what Satanism is he can be very articulate in explaining it. But his own music is his own art. His stage shows are his own, and they don’t really exemplify Satanism in particular.
    DS: It’s more of a character.

PG: Yeah, he’s created a character. We say people forget about past orthodoxies, something that was culturally popular or permeating at one point or another, people forget about that. What Brian Warner did was he looked at David Bowie and Alice Cooper and re-created and repackaged them, and made a fortune.
    DS: Is he an active member?

PG: He’s an honorary priest, but he does his own thing. If asked about our philosophies he can explain it. The interesting thing is when his first album came out the two of us met on a panel that we were doing about racism in music that was being sponsored by Seconds Magazine. Nobody knew who Brian Warner was at that point, and he came up to me and gave me a CD and he was all in costume. But he said "I heard about you and I wanted to meet you," so we moved aside and talked for a little while and I learned he really did understand Satanism. I told Anton LaVey that this guy was pretty smart and this gimmick is going to do well; it’s clever. He’s using this serial killer and Hollywood star combination, and he’s a smart guy and creating his own persona that is probably going to be successful. It took off immediately, and when Marilyn Manson was out on tour in California he asked if he could meet Anton LaVey and he was impressed. He is a really sweet and sincere guy, which has nothing to do with what all of the world sees in just his act and his art.

https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Satanis...Marilyn_Manson

Thanks DavidDoloresFrank. I'm confused now.
    Chillin' Killin'

You can choose a ready guide in some infernal voice...
    "And We Will Sleep on the Skin of Its Nightmares..."

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    I don't think Marilyn Manson or anyone else who isn't in that fruity little club really gives a fuck about it any more. It's 2018.
    As opposed to that moment in time during which anybody gave a fuck about it?

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post
    As opposed to that moment in time during which anybody gave a fuck about it?

There was a time it definitely looked good on the CV

It this subject matter lost?