Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What shows have you been to?

Original AIDS provider.

Default What shows have you been to?

We have an "Upcoming shows you're attending" thread, and a "List the Manson shows you've been to" thread, but we don't appear to have one to talk about shows that you've been to and swap stories. Inspired by someone asking me the other day how many shows I'd been to and it took some serious thought to not leave any out as I counted them up. So far my list looks like this, counting only international acts or Australian bands that have had some sort of significant exposure or touring overseas.

Metallica x 2
    Megadeth
    Anthrax
    Slayer
    Cannibal Corpse
    Trivium
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Used
    Marilyn Manson x 6
    All Shall Perish
    Dream Theater x 2
    Iron Maiden
    Bleeding Through x 10
    Slipknot
    Deathstars x 2
    Parkway Drive x 3 (maybe 4? can't remember)
    Devin Townsend x 2 (+1 more in a couple of months)
    In This Moment

plus a whole bunch of other bands who I haven't gone to see as the main attraction, but have been supports or co-headlines, including Lamb of God, Meshuggah, Between The Buried & Me, Machine Head & Steel Panther, and more local and national-level bands than I can remember.

Of those shows, while I couldn't pick a 'best' show (many shows being the best within its own style and set of parameters, etc), I think I can without doubt say the Chili Peppers were the worst, and most disappointing show I've been to, through a combination of a generally lackluster performance and a set list which, despite being some 20-odd songs long, only included 2 songs from prior to Californication. They even somehow managed to not play a single song off BloodSugarSexMagic. They did play some cool newer songs, but filled it out with too much new stuff, covers and improv jams.

Fresh off the back of it, while I can't pick a best show as I've already outlined, I can say that my recent run of 6 Bleeding Through shows in a fortnight was probably the best all-round concert experience I've had, taking in to account the fun and sleep deprivation of plane-hopping around the country, sleeping in backpacker hostels or just on the airport floor (or just not sleeping at all), but getting to see one of my favourite bands 6 times to send them off on their farewell tour was really good. They also had one of my favourite Australian bands, Make Them Suffer, as support. Definitely worth it, with a lot of good memories with some great people.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

I've attended Marilyn Manson in 1997 at the Hara Arena in Dayton Ohio on Valentine's Day as a birthday present from my Mom, and it was the first concert I've ever gone to. It was the most amazing experience I've ever had in my life, Manson put everything he had in him as well as the rest of the band on stage that night. At the end of the show, I saw him collapsing over the amps in front of him, like he was out of breath. And when the lights came on, and we all were leaving, I saw a few girls crying like they thought he was dead. I suppose it would tell you how intense the show was if the ending gave an impact as such, because it was the loudest show I've ever seen and felt.

After that experience, I got to see Lords of Acid twice, and Ministry, a local band named Skin Curtain (they sucked), I saw Static X, Hanzel Und Gretyl, all at Bogarts in Cincinnati Ohio. I saw Nine Inch Nails in Columbus Ohio during the fragility tour, A Perfect Circle was the opener.

Then saw Manson again in Pennsylvania at the Melon Arena, took a greyhound bus with a friend to see the show and stayed at a hotel there.
    I believe that was during the Mechanical Animals tour.

Couple years later after that, I saw Manson again during the "Lest We Forget" tour, he played at the verizon center in Cincinnati.
    That was a really really good show, it had a very very heavy bass vibe the entire time, it was like the music was breathing in and out of your being.
    I took a friend that lives near me with me to that show, and it was her first time seeing Manson live.

Since those shows, I have missed out a lot of them up to this day. Especially this year, I was bummed out cause I tried to get tickets but they'd be sold out before I could afford to get tickets. Oh well, I got next year to catch shows and will be attending their future shows here in Ohio.

Due to doing a bit of live music photography as a second job and having gone to quite a lot of festivals over the years, there are over 300 acts on the list of bands I've seen live (do actually keep a list, far too long and dull to post!), and the ones I've been to more than one show of must put the number of performances above 500.
    That does however means a lot of the shows have blurred together into one big mass for me and there are even some big names on the list I have no memory of whatsoever (Kings Of Leon? The Offspring? When the hell did I see them?! The former must have been 'before they were famous', and the latter after I no longer cared about them! There are also a shitload of acts I've pretty much never heard of and just shot them because they were there).
    Anyway, the two most stand out shows are at opposite ends of the scale; Lady Gaga at Twickenham Stadium last Autumn blew everyone else out of the water in terms of stage-show and production values, and you can see she was really throwing herself into the performance as well, which always boosts the performance (compared to say Rob Zombie when I saw him with Manson last November; that was a disinterested man going through the motions and all the fireballs couldn't hide it).
    The other was Bat For Lashes at Norwich Arts Centre in about 2007 (just before she became big). I was right upfront in a venue which was an old church, not much bigger than my living room (and in a venue with no crowd barriers that means literally up against the stage and a couple of feet away from the act). A much more understated genius at work in a really intimate setting, made more so because she maintained eye contact with me throughout the song Sad Eyes, which still makes me feel weird when I listen to it again!
    Last edited by MrPogo; 08-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Well I've seen Manson 11 times, NIN 3 (going on 4) and a bunch of bands in between... do local bands or up and coming bands count?

Marilyn Manson (11 times)
    NIN (3 times... going on 4)
    Slayer (2 times with Manson)
    Korn (2002)
    Cradle of Filth (2003)
    Dimmu Borgir/Nevermore/Children of Bodom/Hypocrisy (2003)
    Terrorfakt (2002)
    Bile (2002)
    The Exploited (2002)
    Smashing Pumpkins (2012)
    Wednesday 13 (2012)
    Bella Morte (2012)
    Demon Boy (2 times)
    Ministry (2012)
    Shpongle (2011)
    Roger Waters: The Wall (2012)
    Puscifer (2009 or 2010)
    Orgy (2012)
    Janes Addiction (2009)
    Bauhaus (2006)
    Alice Cooper (2013)
    Rob Zombie (2012)
    Zakk Wylde/Offspring/Bad Religion (from Sunset Strip Fest... was there for Manson)
    Davey Suicide
    The Dreaming
    Joan Jett & The Blackhearts (2012)
    Paradise City (for free in 2013 for an after party... the new all star 90's cover band covered by media)
    PUi ( 3 or 4 times... amazing band)
    Tired Wings (like 5 or 6 times... they rock)
    Chaos & Lace (like 7 or 8 times... they rock)
    Anaka (like 3 or 4 times.. eh they're cool guys but boring Metallica version 2.. went mostly due to an ex gf)
    Candy Brain
    Killcode
    Soft Parade (Doors tribute band)
    Strawberry Fields (Beatles tribute band)
    Like 10 more random local bands

going to see Adam Ant on the 17th.

That's off the top of my head
    Last edited by Dronepool; 08-11-2013 at 03:37 AM.

The ones I actually listen to: (Sorry, forgot some...just added more)

Marilyn Manson x23
    Nine Inch Nails x 5
    Combichrist x5
    Hanzel und Gretyl x5
    Rammstein x5
    Lady Gaga x3
    Jack off Jill
    Slipknot x4
    Bush
    Cradle of Filth
    Elastica
    Hole x2
    Lords of Acid
    Genitorturers
    Otep
    Kittie x 2
    Korn x3
    Linkin Park
    Hatebreed
    Rasputina
    Godhead x6
    Union Underground x5
    No Doubt x3
    Sonic Youth
    Veruca Salt
    Weezer
    Madonna
    Mudvayne
    Disturbed
    Dope
    Cold
    Filter
    DrainSTH
    Rob Zombie x2
    Garbage x2
    L7
    Linkin Park
    Lunachicks
    Slayer x2
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Staind (when they were good..first album)
    Static-X
    Tapping the Vein
    Tracy Bonham
    Last edited by DecayingSinner; 06-25-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

I've seen a lot of bands I wouldn't normally see through going to Download Festival, so I'm splitting my list in two because there's bands I will see on their own tour, but then there's a few bands that get me to buy a festival ticket, then all the rest I see at a festival are a bonus but not really ones I will pay to see on their own tour.

[Download Festival 2007/2009/2011]
    Aiden
    Alice Cooper*
    Alter Bridge
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Billy Talent
    Black Stone Cherry
    Black Veil Brides
    Bowling for Soup
    Buckcherry
    Cheap Trick
    Def Leppard*
    DragonForce
    Down
    Duff McKagan's Loaded
    Faith No More
    Gwar
    Hollywood Undead
    Journey
    Killswitch Engage
    Korn
    Limp Bizkit
    Linkin Park
    Machine Head
    Marilyn Manson*
    Mötley Crüe
    Mr. Big
    My Chemical Romance*
    Pendulum
    Rob Zombie*
    Slayer
    Staind
    Slipknot
    The Blackout
    The Cult
    The Darkness*
    Thin Lizzy
    Turisas
    Twisted Sister
    Velvet Revolver
    Whitesnake*
    Wolfmother
    ZZ Top

* = Major bands that made us want to go (for me MM gets me to buy a ticket lol), but all the rest were just there, most are great and I'm pleased I've seen them, except Black Veil Brides... one of the worst bands I've seen.

[Headlining Tours]
    Alice Cooper [2012]
    Blink 182 [2012]
    Guns N' Roses [2012]
    Marilyn Manson x5 [2007 - 2012]
    Marilyn Manson + Rob Zombie x3 [2012]
    My Chemical Romance x3 [2010 - 2011]
    Red Hot Chili Peppers [2011]
    The Blackout x6 (supporting B182+MCR x3) [2011 - 2013]
    The Killers x2 [2012 - 2013]

I think that's about it, there's probably the odd support band I've forgotten about, but they're probably not worth mentioning anyway.
    RHCP and GNR were both bands I'm not crazy about but still wanted to see them whilst they were touring, both were great so I would probably catch them both again if they tour in the UK.

The Blackout, They tour in the UK all the time. They play small clubs, the tickets are so cheap, so they're worth going to.

Marilyn Manson and The Killers are the two bands I really care about seeing though, they're the ones that I'm going to try and get to as many shows as I can each time they tour.

I don't know if I should laugh or acknowledge my addiction. My very first show was the Merry Mayhem Tour in December of 2001 which had Ozzy, Rob Zombie, and Mudvayne. After that, I just couldn't get enough. I've been going to 10-15 shows a year, every year since then. I've been to every Ozzfest (multiple shows) since 2002, every Mayhemfest... so, thats already countless bands I've witnessed...

I've seen my two favorite bands (Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson) both around 20 times. I've seen KoRn about 6 times. Seen Wednesday 13 and Dope somewhere over 10 times each. Slipknot about 5 times. I've seen Metallica, ACDC, KISS twice, Motley Crue several times, Poison, Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Three Dog Night, Lynryd Skynyrd, Roger Waters twice, countless of crappy death metal bands, Judas Priest, Slayer numerous times, Ozzy about 20 times, Black Sabbath 4 times, Alice Cooper about 10 times, Megadeth, Anthrax, Cradle of Filth, Black Label Society, ..... I've probably seen triple the shows of all of you. I had a hell of a time, but at the same time, am thousands and thousands of dollars poorer because of it.

Muse 2009 and 2013
    Mew 2010
    Crystal Castles 2013

Short lists <3

Marilyn Manson x 2
    Iron Maiden x 3
    Iced Earth x 1
    Slayer x 3
    Motorhead x 2
    Dio x 2
    Voivod x 2
    Amon Amarth x 3