Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Arthur Schopenhauer: The World as Will and Representation

Default Arthur Schopenhauer: The World as Will and Representation

It is going to be truly hard for me to explain this author and what his most important book, one that it took his whole life to complete, achieved in terms of who we are, what are the limits of our consciousness and how could we break them by understanding the whole picture. He was Nietzsche's master and I find myself much closer to him than to his disciple, mostly because the disciple ended up on some conslusions I beg to differ and also, in my humble opinion, contradicted himself quite a lot, though I have read Nietzsches books and some of his work is fascinating. Not blaming the man, I mean, he had such a brilliant mind and I understand why Manson could have been inspired by his words, as I was too, until I discovered MY man, Sir Arthur Schopenhauer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer

The thing is, Schopenhauer has a way to explain the limits of knowledge and the best way to portray the whole, as he stated that neither the materialistic view (there is only matter, matter creates individuals and not ether nor spirit) nor the subjective view (there is no matter but only "me" as a creator and spirit of the whole reality) were correct, and manages to tie one to each other in a way it makes a lot of sense, but that is quite difficult to fully understand and even more to explain (at least, by me). It is a co-dependent situation where the object is subject to himself the same way you are seen as an "object" by others yet you feel yourself from the inside in a volitive way (the same way you can sense and see your friends as if they were only physical objects unlike "you", but they are equally subjects to themselves). The same applies to everything. So there would be no diffrence between life and dead, only grades of manifestation of the Will, which is us, wether we happen to inhabit a human body or any other embodiment, there are grades of consciousness we cannot comprehend the same way a cell is conscious of itself but cannot comprehend your thoughts. As above, so below. He took many lessons from oriental cultures and said they were the best to describe what is the essence of truth, yet they did it only by verses, poems and non-argumentative forms. He hated Christianity but he though Hinduism was a very different plate to taste. He also took Platon, Berkeley, Descartes and Kant as some of his influences and one of the most important philosophers of all time, of course, before him. He is considered to be the father of pesimism by his thoughts on the essence of Truth and a lot of other authors have mentioned him to be one of his favourites, from Jung to Borges, even Einstein;

https://www.philosopher.eu/wp-conten...-1024x1024.jpg

http://www.azquotes.com/public/pictu...ein-539131.jpg

So taking oriental texts and teachings such as the Vedas and Upanishads he developed his own theory which I find the best to describe EVERYTHING that happens right into the core of existence, and also, it matches with all the strong psychedelic trips I've had and what they showed me (I'm a long and experimentated user of those, but I don't encourage anyone to take them as sometimes the experience can be overwhelming and this only makes his teachings more valuable to ME, not in the objective way, that anyways it's not a right way to analyze anything from his and my point of view). I loved reading Philosophy since I was a teenager and from there to now, this stills being the top of my tops when it comes to books. Of course, there are other books I love but in a different way, let's say I'm separating Philosophy from, for example, Mythology or Theology, from History and Science, etc. If anyone has interest in him and wants to debate some of his theroies, I'm open to it. I wish I could explain his ideas the same way he did in his texts, but I can't go so far, and even less in english.

Some of his quotes;

"Every person takes the limits of their own field of vision for the limits of the world."

"To live alone is the fate of all great souls."

"The two enemies of human happiness are pain and boredom."

"The doctor sees all the weakness of mankind; the lawyer all the wickedness, the theologian all the stupidity."

"A man can be himself only so long as he is alone, and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom, for it is only when he is alone that he is really free."

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."

“Compassion is the basis of morality.”

“The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality.”

“They tell us that Suicide is the greatest piece of Cowardice... That Suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in this world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.”

“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."

"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills.”

“Life is a constant process of dying.”

“The inexpressible depth of music, so easy to understand and yet so inexplicable, is due to the fact that it reproduces all the emotions of our innermost being, but entirely without reality and remote from its pain… Music expresses only the quintessence of life and its events, never these themselves.”

“Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.”

“If life — the craving for which is the very essence of our being — were possessed of any positive intrinsic value, there would be no such thing as boredom at all: mere existence would satisfy us in itself, and we should want for nothing.”

Last edited by Pink Pope; 05-13-2018 at 06:51 PM.

You've inspired me to pick up one of his books. Thanks for this! I will try to remember to give you an update of what I think after I read something.

-M.

Quote Originally Posted by TH15x15xMYxOMeGA View Post
    You've inspired me to pick up one of his books. Thanks for this! I will try to remember to give you an update of what I think after I read something.

-M.
    Thank YOU for taking your time. Let me know your thoughts if you read it : )