Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: This should have been the cover of Heaven Upside Down

Default This should have been the cover of Heaven Upside Down

What do you think?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I've mentioned before that I feel Heaven Upside Down was a conscious attempt to mimic 'Populist' releases both in its musical/lyrical approach, and the art direction. The record uses minimal, direct imagery revealing little about the content, but sleekly promotes it by being visually striking. In that sense, it's very Celebritarian, which is presumably why the Doublecross features prominently once again. Unlike Born Villain, however, the Doublecross on Heaven Upside Down is far more ambiguous, it reflects the title and is otherwise a line-drawing, rather than insignia.

Consider covers like Ray Of Light or Rebel Heart by Madonna, Musicology by Prince, even LOUD by Rihanna and I think they reflect the intent on ...Down's sleeve.

Manson's paintings - attractive though they are - frequently explore psychology, the human condition, and a fragility I feel he wrapped up on The Pale Emperor. Representing Heaven Upside Down in a similar way may have diminished the strong impact it had upon release.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

That would have been a cool album cover, but I also really enjoy the album cover we have. I donít particularly mind the simplistic approach he went with in this era when it came to the imagery.

Just noticed the Transformers logos XDXD
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

I like the picture for the most part in its style and colors, it might have blended well with the stark artwork of Heaven Upside Down. Though I dont like that it is a closeup portrait, I would have liked such a painting to show more of a figure in it, would have been more expressive. As it is it looks like Manson staring into a vanity mirror drunk with makeup all running off.

The first Manson cds I bought were this album, a single from 97, Mechanical Animals, the Pale Emperor, and Smells like Children. With the execption of SLC i kind of like how all my Manson cds are these strange title-less covers with a single eerie figure on it. Very sophisticated and arty looking! :P