Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Gary Numan.

Default Gary Numan.

Until last year I was only familiar with his older mainstream stuff. My Dad was a fan so we went to see him last year, and the show completely blew me away. Discovering an artist properly for the first time in a live setting, thereís not much like it. Since then, he has definitely been my most listened to artist in the past year. Songs like Here in the black, A prayer for the unborn and pure are just so good. And his new album Savage was one of the best releases of last year.
    Heís playing in my city again in 2 days, and I canít wait.
    There must be a few fans on this forum Iím sure.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

Ratchet Romantique

@303, I have a similiar experience with Gary Numan. I’d heard his name come up in 90’s Manson interviews and of course heard his hit “Cars” but it wasn’t until finding his Pleasure Principle album in the £1 bin at the record store that I started to take him seriously. The guy is very talented and to have made that album in 1979 on a tight budget in under a month really takes something. I admire the cohesion that record has and how all the songs are built around the same modular synthesiser and his obsession with the self and a fear of the future. That record alone makes him a lot of money in sampling alone, M.E. was used in a Fatboy Slim track for example and for that reason is probably my favorite song from the record because I recognised that intro immediately! The album became my unofficial holiday anthem too whilst I touring Europe in summer 2015 and will always have a place in my heart.

Talking of Numan live, I had the pleasure of seeing him twice on consecutive dates in Birmingham and Coventry in 2016(?) and the show was great, real intimate and a real feel of response. You should listen to his live albums Living Ornaments ‘79 & ‘80 and watch the pro-shot concert on YouTube!

But to be fair I think Gary was the first of his kind and pioneered this combination of science and fiction into mainstream music much like Thomas Dolby did.
    - real life awaits us -

I saw NIN on Halloween in Florida five years ago with the most psychotic, evil bitch I've ever dated so we missed Gary Numan's special guest opening set but I filmed THIS, at least!

\m/

I remember a NIN gig in London with Numan coming out to play Cars together, was pretty good.
    - real life awaits us -

^ "Pretty good" is THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY, lol.

Just back from tonight’s show, so very good!!