Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson releases new music video for Tattooed In Reverse!

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    Damn :/. Yeah, We Know Where You Fucking Live was so close to the Hitman Absolution trailer it was ridiculous. Now this too. The rest of it is just Manson’s face being ridden by some girl. But Manson didn’t direct the video. Perhaps he should find directors who have more of an original vision rather than doing a copy of other people’s work.
    I agree, but those two videos are not the right examples. We Know Where You Fucking Live and Tattooed In Reverse are still more original than other two HUD videos. It is just one scene or element in each video. Now watch The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, look at SAY10 and KILL4ME videos and than tell me what is copy of other work.. (spoiler: you won't find anything in those two videos that wasn't in the movie).

Not that I do not like HUD videos. Even when it is basically copy of some movie scenes, as a whole it still has more original vision than generic music videos consisting of just singer singing + band members playing their instruments - even Running to The Edge of The World video did better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDoloresFrank View Post
    I agree, but those two videos are not the right examples. We Know Where You Fucking Live and Tattooed In Reverse are still more original than other two HUD videos. It is just one scene or element in each video. Now watch The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, look at SAY10 and KILL4ME videos and than tell me what is copy of other work.. (spoiler: you won't find anything in those two videos that wasn't in the movie).

Not that I do not like HUD videos. Even when it is basically copy of some movie scenes, as a whole it still has more original vision than generic music videos consisting of just singer singing + band members playing their instruments - even Running to The Edge of The World video did better than that.
    I wouldn’t doubt it. I guess it’s just because I haven’t seen the film you mentioned in your post, so I wasn’t able to make the comparison to the other Heaven Upside Down videos.

It's nothing new that a MM video was strongly inspired by another piece of film. It could be something being reinterpreted, or a copy. Even if they are very similar, they still make for a good video.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

I like the part where you act as if Manson paying homage to his favorite art and artists is something new, lol.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE the fact that he's able to inject such weird shit into popular culture while putting his own spin on it and mashing it up in his own unique way.

MOAR PLZ

\m/

We're talking here about a guy who's stage name is Marilyn (Monroe) Manson (Charles).End of story .
    Chillin' Killin'

I know Manson has been inspired by film and other areas of art and has put those inspirations into his music videos in the past, but I feel like doing an exact copy of something else has become a new thing. I think it started with the film Born Villain.

I just like it when it’s mostly a new vision with a little bit of inspiration of something else mixed in, as opposed to a nearly identical copy.

Just my opinion.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Maybe not as direct, but Dope Hat and Cryptorchid?
    Manson has always had film as part of his videos, but if right now he’s enjoying finding ways to bring these visuals in with his music - I like how it turns out. Overall I’ve been loving this album cycle. It’s a cool watch as a collection.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    Maybe not as direct, but Dope Hat and Cryptorchid?
    I'd say more so in both these cases, especially as Dope Hat flaunts its source from start-to-finish. That was also tied directly to Manson's own purpose for the video and Portrait.../Smells Like Children, so far more straightforward than a director he is friends with being inspired by something external. Cryptorchid is surely in a different league as it just straight-up uses footage from Begotten!

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    Perhaps he should find directors who have more of an original vision rather than doing a copy of other people’s work.
    In addition to Cringeon's examples, some pretty direct 'copies' of Twin Peaks, Cabaret, The Reflecting Skin, The Man Who Fell To Earth, M, Freaks, The Holy Mountain, Lolita, Thelma & Louise, Natural Born Killers, The Night Porter, and hey, even the Zapruder film have been cemented into Manson's music videos for over two decades now.
    I understand your criticism touches on the relationship between a song's content and the images onscreen, but I guess it's damned if you do, damned if you don't sometimes with Manson. It could be argued that between 2009-2015, he actually started to conceptualise and release music videos with their own theme or narrative that weren't directly inspired by another source, and a lot of fans criticised that period too!
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Wow.

Rather than continuing the pointing out of the obvious around Manson and taking imagery/ideas, I thought perhaps it might be more fruitful to perhaps think about the ramifications of what he/Yukich is borrowing for the video, what changes have been made to the source material, and what this means for understanding it.

First off - American Horror Story. That pretty much says it all really. Isn't no fairy tale. Season seven is called 'Cult'*, also entirely appropriate for the Celebritarian aspect as well as pretty much every piece of discourse Manson has ever put out about Holy Wood, presidential elections, democracy, guns, god, government ... you get my gist. Then there is the fact that (without detail for those avoiding spoilers) that it is set post Trump election, is about the post traumatic, post election split of American society, winning over those disaffected with the current climate, and name checks the Manson family as an influence for the cult of the title. Not to mention the er.. 'begetting' of the antichrist in a ritual.

I mean.

How could he NOT use the imagery? American Horror Story almost owes Manson a debt for his influence on them.

As a short hand it is perfect piece of bricolage to communicate the content of Tattooed in Reverseand the entirety of Manson, but with several twists of his own on it. The woman is black - no coincidence (and watch everyone dancing around mentioning that), the Celebritarian double cross, the use of medical gaze and the laboratory. Speculation! It is a little like 'Eyes Wide Shut' bred with the videos for Apple of Sodom and I Don't Like the Drugs, but the Drugs Like Me. I am quite sure about a half dozen other cinematic influences are jammed in there as well.

Personally I love how every video this album has been a deliberate hijacking of media culture (from hashtag speak to gaming) that speaks to some element of the obsessions of Manson's back catalogue and his own interest in cinema, but just as much to the critique he started with the clip for SAY10 back in 2016 of both sides of government, and the hypocrisy of American society and pop culture.

*Not least the amusing reference to the FB fan group and here.
    Last edited by Enname; 03-25-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: hanging participles.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

So.. Are these movies any good?

I love the video but Manson giving the finger all the time in music videos is so premature and frankly getting embarrasing